ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Till the next time... we say goodbye
MGM Grand, Las Vegas - February 8, 2003
Background image by Li'l Red Rooooooooooooooooooooostah for Rooster Productions Lsd.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Space Shuttle Explodes!! (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
02-01-03 08:52 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I've been thinking about this tragedy today. I think I know why we feel so strongly about these accidents involving space shuttles.

It's because astronauts are our idea of ideal heroes.

Every little kid wants to be an astronaut when they grow up. And Shuttle Astronauts...well, we live our childhood dreams thru them.

When they die...a little part of all of us dies.

That's what I think anyhow.

That's exactly what makes it all the sadder. These people are among the elite, they will one day I'm sure be the ambassadors for our entire race, as far fetched as that may seem now. God bless them & their families, they have slipped that mortal coil to fly amongst angels.
02-01-03 08:53 PM
steel driving hammer Tom Hanks has already bought the movie rights!

Yeah that was cheap shot, I was sad all day.

I just can't stand Tom Hanks.
02-01-03 09:02 PM
littleredrooster My most sincere condolences to the families of these galactic pioneers!
Keep the dream alive, continue to explore!
02-01-03 09:36 PM
Maxlugar Thank God for the heart felt and gut wrenching words by our incredibly great President.

The similarities between Bush II and Ronald Reagan are undeniable.

God bless the USA and may we always look up to the heavens and strive for greatness.

YES!

Mmmmmmmaxy!
02-01-03 09:51 PM
Scot Rocks I agree with some of the above posts, when people go into space, they seem to bring a feeling of not just representing their themselves, families or country but the whole of humanity. Space is still a mystery to all of us and the people that go there, are going somewhere that we have never gone before. I was never around when the appollo missions took place or Sputnik was launched and was too young to remember Challenger. However, these events historic and tragic, unite everyone. The death of astronauts, stikes a chord within everyone and are especially tragic.

Mark
02-01-03 10:17 PM
BILL PERKS AN AWFUL TRAGEDY HAS BEFALLEN US AGAIN.DULL THE PAIN WITH A LITTLE DRINK FROM THE LOVIN CUP AND A LISTEN TO YOUR FAVORITE STONES RECORD.APPRECIATE LIFE AND IT'S GIFTS CUZ YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN IT'LL END.
02-01-03 11:17 PM
throbby Well said Sir Stonesalot. Growing up in the Sixties it was hard as a young boy to not have an astronaut as a hero. I remember vividly the exact moment when Neil Armstrong set his foot on the moon in the summer of sixty nine.

Max, I'm liking your style. Saying it loud and saying it proud!
[Edited by throbby]
02-02-03 04:06 AM
gypsymofo60 Gods heavenly, 20th century montage to man, has the snaking plume of smoke, reaching for the stars we know as The Challenger disaster, (the most enduring image of the 20th century), prominently featured as the centre piece. His new project, tentatively underway,'Century 21, has a startling new piece dominating the canvas. I've been thinking about this all day, it feels just like January 1986 all over again, or when Grissom, and Co. were killed in '67. I only wish I had half the courage, and unfaltering dedication that these people have. I could think of no better memorial to these men& women than to say, and in all honesty; I could think of nothing, that I would be prouder to see my own children pursue. God bless all pioneers, and God favours the brave.
02-02-03 04:29 AM
marcus aurelianus Max Lugar , you're right !

And I can add : European people LOVE George W.Bush .
Indeed a great man .What would we become without this man( and his great friends ) ?
I really wonder ...
George Bush is the light of the world .And thanks to him , we will be saved ,cause we live in darkness .
We NEED You !!!! SAVE US !!!
02-02-03 06:47 AM
egon marcus, as much as loved your post; this is not the place man!

02-02-03 07:27 AM
MRD8 I have had the honor and privledge of working at Kennedy Space Center for 28 years...I have seen the triumph and also the tragedy of the U.S. space program...yesterday was a dark day for all of us here, we knew these astronauts as real people like you and I with hopes and dreams but also as normal people with families and mortgages and everyday concerns...tomorrow we'll go to work and we will all gather and hug each other and cry and remember these latest American hero's...then we will dive into the mountain of data we will have to go through to see why this happened and to do as much as we can to make sure it NEVER happens again! The dream IS alive...
02-02-03 08:47 AM
Pants Make the Man
quote:
sonicrock wrote:
peace to the family, my condoleance but euuuuh??? why don t we leave the moon alone?? we already did enough on this earth......well i m so sorry for the guys anyway...

Well, we never really went to the moon anyway. That was all an elaborate charade. Have you ever seen "Capricorn One"?

Max and LadyJayne are on the money. They are feasting on lamb and "dancing in the street's" right about now in the Middle East, no doubt. Once they hear that there was an Israeli AND an Indian on board, not to mention Americans, they will be downright ecstatic. Swine...

My heart goes out to all involved. It's very tragic. You know, as SirStonesalot pointed out, those people will forever be heroes.
02-02-03 09:43 AM
Stones Fan, Gar It seems to me, 24 hours after the fact, that we all should hug the ones we love. This is a tragedy, no doubt, but a similar result could happen to any of us each day. The drive home, at work, any one of us could loose our lives or the lives of a loved one. I hope NASA finds out what the source of this accident is, and that the whole world takes a moment to show those around them that they are loved. The missions to space have always been about peace and helping humanity. Take that message out of this. Thank you for letting me express my sorrow and shock, after having a day to reflect.
02-02-03 10:23 AM
oska in my oppinion, what relavance has this sad event on a 'rolling stones' board ? as tragic as it was, people are dying in tragic accidents every day the world over, but this is NOT the place to discuss general unrelated news stories.
02-02-03 12:17 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yes this is a Stones board...but we talk about anything and everything under the sun.

You see oska...this is more than just a forum ABOUT the Stones...it's a forum for Stones fans. A place to gather with other fans like ourselves.

Life happens, I'm just glad this place is here to talk about it.
02-02-03 12:37 PM
JaggaRichards Sad Day
02-02-03 05:52 PM
glencar oska, go elsewhere.
02-02-03 06:28 PM
nankerphelge What got me with the Challenger in '86 and with Columbia yesterday is that these people are so damn dedicated to doing what they love, knowing full well just how dangerous it is. No matter how much you train and prepare and take precautions, if you are blasting off strapped to a giant fuel tank or coming into the earth from orbit at Mach 12 and 3000 degrees, you know the margin for error is zero and the consequences are catastophic. Yet they somehow ignore or at least overcome that reality. Their bravery is remarkable, as is that of their families.

Throbby -- that was a touching post.
02-02-03 10:33 PM
gypsymofo60 I hate being judgemental, but fuck it I will....Why is it whenever a thread like this begins, people simply expressing sadness, and remorse for a tragedy that touches so many people, there always has to be the same boring arseholes who want to vent their collective spleens about American foriegn policy, or start bringing into the thread the same old irrelevant, hypocritical bullshit designed to surrepticiously say; "America deserves all it gets"...Hey Oska! Why don't you prove to me your little theory about Ambien? Take a strip of the fuckers! Ya knob!
02-03-03 10:32 AM
jb A monumental tragedy for all of us. These brave men and woman made the ultimate sacrifice to better humanity. Our thoughts and prayers to their families .
02-03-03 12:21 PM
sasca What did oska say about US foreign policy? Jesus, gmf, try taking a few deep breaths before you post next time.
02-03-03 02:30 PM
Fiji Joe Oh, I see Marcus still suffers from shingles
02-03-03 02:39 PM
jb God bless Fiji Joe...your lasting mammaries shall never be forgotten.
02-03-03 03:08 PM
marcus aurelianus To FIJI JO :

Shingles ? ho , my god , I didn't know that ... But it's good to know , as I have everything to learn FROM you .

By the way , I love your pictures Fiji Jo . They make me think of a certain people in the world today ...
02-03-03 11:36 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
sasca wrote:
What did oska say about US foreign policy? Jesus, gmf, try taking a few deep breaths before you post next time.

Oska didn't say anything about American foriegn policy Sasca, Oska just felt it his duty to inform us that he felt the thread irrelevant to a Stones board, not his call IMHO. Unfortunately he got lumped in with what I consider to be the dickheads who start turning heartfelt condolences into their own personal Anti- American rap. But don't expect me to apologise to him, or you. The Ambien bit refers to another spastic post. You know the one I mean!....Maybe you should take a few deep breaths yourself there Sas', say at about 22 fathoms, free-diving. How's your dad?....The doctor with the strange views on benzodiazpenes. Don't preach to me! You sound stupid!
02-04-03 11:05 AM
oska gypsy, as usual you are COMPLETLEY WRONG. get this right, i am a brit, [who supports the alliance], i am currentley trying to buy a holiday home in florida, i have many yankee friends, all in all i love america ! so what on earth makes you think i am anti american??? reading YOUR insulting posts makes me feel like beeing anti australian or what ever it is you are. please take some stilnox to calm yourself, any amount will do.
02-04-03 11:12 AM
jb Gypsy and Gypsymotherfucker are different people....
02-04-03 11:13 AM
telecaster
quote:
oska wrote:
gypsy, as usual you are COMPLETLEY WRONG. get this right, i am a brit, [who supports the alliance], i am currentley trying to buy a holiday home in florida, i have many yankee friends, all in all i love america ! so what on earth makes you think i am anti american??? reading YOUR insulting posts makes me feel like beeing anti australian or what ever it is you are. please take some stilnox to calm yourself, any amount will do.

I am sure people just wanted to grieve (as I did) and
this is kinda a family, albeit highly disfunctional

Mick referenced it Sat night at the concert in Denver.

"Sad day but we will get through it"
02-04-03 11:15 AM
jb If I recall, Gysymofo is a nice person while Gypsy is a major ass-hole.
[Edited by jb]
02-04-03 03:30 PM
oska sorry and many appologies to 'gypsy', please read my last post as to, gypsymofo69,a british /australian, who it was intended for, thanks for the reminder josh. i must of had too many ambian.
Page: 1 2 3

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST