ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine a Light" World Premier
The 58th Berlinale International Film Festival - February 7, 2008
© Andreas Fechner with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'Shine A Light' review - Daily Mail Return to archive
1st February 2008 07:38 AM
Gazza Scorsese aims to shine a light on the rock of ages
by BAZ BAMIGBOYE -

In 1972, Mick Jagger appeared on an American TV show and was asked if he could imagine himself still performing at 60.

"Oh yeah, easily," the fresh-faced idol told interviewer Dick Cavett.

That little nugget is astutely spliced into Martin Scorsese's dynamite Rolling Stones concert movie Shine A Light, shot over two nights at the Beacon Theatre in New York in 2006 using a team of grade-A cinematographers.

Rolling on: Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts

I saw it this week and I don't think I've seen a rock artist so alive on screen.

Jagger's a force of nature: bottle that energy and you'd have profits to rival Shell's.

You don't stay at the top of your game for four decades, though, by being easy-going.

The early part of the movie has an exasperated Scorsese trying to secure the set list from Jagger, who's being a tad irascible.

Moments later, Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood are charm personified when they're introduced to Bill and Hillary Clinton and Hillary's mother Dorothy.

"Oh, you're the drummer!" Dorothy exclaims to Watts. Scorsese doesn't hit you over the head with his premise of time and survival, but his use of archive footage suggests an awestruck fascination with how this group has continued as a powerhouse for so long.

I noted it because I've always been struck by how the Stones have remained so vital.

On camera, Keith answers - in part - by saying: "The weird thing is, it's because we love what we do."

Boy, does that show in this film, whether it's singing As Tears Go By or Start Me Up or a groundshaking version of the Temptations hit Just My Imagination, which Jagger makes his own ("But in reality she doesn't f****** know me"), with a little help from Bobby Keys tearing away on tenor sax.

You sense that Scorsese is searching for a way to sum up the essence of the Stones.

He finds it in another old bit of footage where Jagger says something about the group's early success in the States being akin to a "chemical reaction".

That's probably it - and the Rolling Stones keep exploding over the decades, defying their age and keeping us satisfied.

Shine A Light opens the Berlin Film Festival next Thursday, with Scorsese and the group in attendance.

The film premieres in London on April 2 and goes on release on April 11.

www.dailymail.co.uk
1st February 2008 08:03 AM
LadyJane I really cannot wait to see this film.
Great review.
Thanks Gazza.

LJ.
1st February 2008 08:27 AM
parmeda Don't you just hate it when they tease you with a bone?

I want the whole fucking steak!

...and I'm hungry, NOW!
1st February 2008 08:37 AM
PartyDoll MEG Pammy..You must not subscribe to the philosophy of..
"Good things come to those who wait" either!!!
1st February 2008 09:10 AM
gimmekeef Thanks Gazza...great initial review...I have only one question...Can you hear the fucking guitars?
1st February 2008 09:51 AM
Scottfree
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Thanks Gazza...great initial review...I have only one question...Can you hear the fucking guitars?

Amen brudder....
1st February 2008 09:59 AM
Some Guy I'm all over this.
1st February 2008 10:51 AM
mac_daddy the preview has been making the rounds on hdnet this week - and it looks awesome, and sounds fabulous, too. i really hope this comes out on blu-ray w/ lots of extras...

cant wait to see it - thanks for posting the read, gazza.
1st February 2008 11:04 AM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I really cannot wait to see this film.
Great review.
Thanks Gazza.

LJ.

Baz Bamigoye has always had a good relationship with the Stones, and Mick especially.

At Mick's press conference in London to announce the 1990 European tour, he gave him a hug and told the assembled media that they were going to get married!
1st February 2008 11:54 AM
Sioux Good reference to the interview in which Mick said the rise and popularity of the Stones must be some sort of "chemical reaction". In hindsight, I think he really may have been right...
1st February 2008 02:30 PM
Gimme Shelter Right on!!!
1st February 2008 04:05 PM
Some Guy The critics as said Steel Wheels was the next "Exile"....and that B2b was "innovative" and that "Abb" was their best since "Tatoo You". Remain cynical as this is a kiss ass piece .....Must of us who have seen the Stones final product, at least for the last decade or so, are usually disappointed. This may be filmed and edited much better than previous released material, but truthfully, the Stones appearences on film have never been all that great with the exception of GS and L&G.
- Mr Lawyer at Shidoobee
1st February 2008 04:11 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
The critics as said Steel Wheels was the next "Exile"....and that B2b was "innovative" and that "Abb" was their best since "Tatoo You". Remain cynical as this is a kiss ass piece .....Must of us who have seen the Stones final product, at least for the last decade or so, are usually disappointed. This may be filmed and edited much better than previous released material, but truthfully, the Stones appearences on film have never been all that great with the exception of GS and L&G.
- Mr Lawyer at Shidoobee

His comments and a buck will get you a coffee......Dr Doom
1st February 2008 04:25 PM
texile
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
The critics as said Steel Wheels was the next "Exile"....and that B2b was "innovative" and that "Abb" was their best since "Tatoo You". Remain cynical as this is a kiss ass piece .....Must of us who have seen the Stones final product, at least for the last decade or so, are usually disappointed. This may be filmed and edited much better than previous released material, but truthfully, the Stones appearences on film have never been all that great with the exception of GS and L&G.
- Mr Lawyer at Shidoobee

i have to agree with that assesment.
that's why i just will refrain from getting too excited..and wait and see......
1st February 2008 04:32 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Don't you just hate it when they tease you with a bone?

I want the whole fucking steak!

...and I'm hungry, NOW!

I'm fucking starving. Bring it on, boyz...
1st February 2008 04:38 PM
Nellcote Hmmm...Mr Lawyer, I remember him....
Will he be watching the Super Bowl this weekend, with Mercury Morris?
1st February 2008 05:41 PM
fireontheplatter maybe i'll wait for it to come out on dvd....no, just kidding.

everybody say ow

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)