ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine a Light" World Premier
The 58th Berlinale International Film Festival - February 7, 2008
© Andreas Fechner with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New issue of UNCUT - Faces special Return to archive
28th January 2008 08:47 PM
Gazza Out this week in the UK. Issue 130. Cover date : March 2008.

Contains a 10-page feature. The CD is called 'Rock 'n' Roll In The Spirit of The Faces' and consists of 15 songs by acts like Paul Westerberg, The Drive By Truckers, etc

Editor’s Letter
When Rod Stewart played Twickenham Stadium last summer, I was inclined to attend, and not only because I live down that way. No, there was rather more to me going than mere convenience. There was, for instance an abiding affection for those first four great solo albums he did – An Old Raincoat Won’t Ever Let You Down, Gasoline Alley, Every Picture Tells A Story and Never A Dull Moment – that down the years has remained undimmed, and survived even the most cringe-inducing episodes of Rod’s subsequent career.

The show, as it turned out, was better than I could earlier have imagined, once I’d got over the shock of realising that Rod’s audience these days largely seems to consist of alcoholic divorcees, who arrived by the coach-load, squeezed into clothes that wouldn’t fit their children and were determined to treat the entire evening as a mass karaoke session.

He did all the solo hits, of course, as you’d expect, but the show’s unilateral highlight for me came at the end of the first half, with a raucous version of the old Faces favourite, “Stay With Me”, which was accompanied by hilarious archive footage of that band, in all their rowdy glory.

It was a brilliant reminder that at their peak in the early ’70s, The Faces were nigh-on unbeatable – a fantastic mix of swashbuckling bravado, reckless living, ribald humour, great musicianship, fantastic songs and impeccably dishevelled showmanship.

As David Cavanagh points out in this month’s cover story, for a time The Faces were the only band who could truly give the Stones a run for their money. And who knows? If the Stones hadn’t nicked Ronnie Wood, thus effectively bringing down the curtain on The Faces’ riotous career, they might even have gone on to eclipse them... *

[email protected]

* - Bollocks

[Edited by Gazza]
28th January 2008 08:55 PM
fireontheplatter cool cover..i like that.

where is this mag published?
28th January 2008 09:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
cool cover..i like that.

where is this mag published?

UK, but its always available in other countries (including the US) a few weeks later - although I;m not sure if they get the Cds as there tends to be different copyright restrictions
28th January 2008 09:04 PM
mojoman
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The show, as it turned out, was better than I could earlier have imagined, once I’d got over the shock of realising that Rod’s audience these days largely seems to consist of alcoholic divorcees, who arrived by the coach-load, squeezed into clothes that wouldn’t fit their children and were determined to treat the entire evening as a mass karaoke session.

thats postin!!!
28th January 2008 09:05 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Gazza wrote:

UK, but its always available in other countries (including the US) a few weeks later - although I;m not sure if they get the Cds as there tends to be different copyright restrictions

i thought i recognised the name. usually by the time they reach barnes and noble here in the us, the cd has been nicked.

i will pick up a copy if i get a chance.
28th January 2008 09:54 PM
robpop Your footnote says it all Gazza.
28th January 2008 09:57 PM
andrews27 Anybody who doesn't like the Faces, almost to the point of reverence, has shit for brains. That's how we say it in America.
28th January 2008 11:58 PM
Sioux
quote:
Gazza wrote:

We usually get the CD's with our Uncuts and Mojos too. Great British magazines... I wish I had enough room to buy each one every month {I keep EVERYTHING}...
29th January 2008 12:06 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Sioux wrote:

We usually get the CD's with our Uncuts and Mojos too. Great British magazines... I wish I had enough room to buy each one every month {I keep EVERYTHING}...

Conspirisy Theory?
29th January 2008 07:17 AM
Gazza
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
Anybody who doesn't like the Faces, almost to the point of reverence, has shit for brains. That's how we say it in America.

they were certainly very good, but the remark quoted in the editorial above, which states that the Faces - as they were in 1975 - were in a position to surpass the Stones had the Stones not 'stolen' their guitarist (an equally absurd statement) would indicate that the writer has shit emanating from every orifice.
[Edited by Gazza]
29th January 2008 07:20 AM
glencar I've been reading the RW book again & it sounds like the Faces had quite the ride. I never knew their music growing up but I did buy the boxed set a few yrs back. Great stuff!
29th January 2008 07:23 AM
Gazza Do you own Ian McLagan's book, "All the Rage' ? Essential stuff.
29th January 2008 07:30 AM
glencar I read a copy that someone lent to me.
29th January 2008 09:00 AM
andrews27
quote:
Gazza wrote:

they were certainly very good, but the remark quoted in the editorial above, which states that the Faces - as they were in 1975 - were in a position to surpass the Stones had the Stones not 'stolen' their guitarist (an equally absurd statement) would indicate that the writer has shit emanating from every orifice.
[Edited by Gazza]

I wasn't really responding to anything in this short thread, just memories of past Faces-bashing. It's amazing how much stuff from that era, and later eras, they can beat for style and, yes, depth. An organically perfect band that died when it was time (after Ooh La La). With a great second life in the DNA of the first four Rod albums.
[Edited by andrews27]
29th January 2008 09:01 AM
Gazza I know you werent, and you're quite right on all counts.
29th January 2008 10:04 AM
Nellcote Towards the 1975 incarnation of the Faces, Plonk was gone, while Tetsu was servicaeable, he did not have the swing, style of Lane. Faces toured the US twice in '75, I was fortunate to have caught shows during both tours, the Feb '75 show surpassed the Fall '75 version, as at that point, Rod had slid Jesse Ed Davis in, as well as a string section, which was not The Faces. Nothing against Davis, however, it just was not the Faces...
[Edited by Nellcote]
29th January 2008 10:10 AM
gimmekeef The 75 Faces were good..but already over.Rod was becoming The Mod and the band was breaking up anyway.Just good timing for Woody.
29th January 2008 12:02 PM
AlexKx I thought that the Faces were officialy re-grouping right now...are they not?
29th January 2008 03:09 PM
glencar Nope.
29th January 2008 04:32 PM
Nellcote If Mac says they re-group, it will occur, otherwise, it is not true.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)