ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine a Light" World Premier
The 58th Berlinale International Film Festival - February 7, 2008
© Andreas Fechner with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Please help with my thesis Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
26th January 2008 08:22 PM
Shoshanna I am considering writing a Rolling Stones related thesis for a sociology class I am taking. But I would like to come up with some sort of unique angle. My original thought was that I could study the parallels between the stones development and western society as a whole. But aside from their haircuts, I don't really see any relationship. Can anyone suggest a unique angle? Or maybe just give me a paper you have written in the past?
26th January 2008 09:05 PM
Gazza Enough arguments. Can we start again.
[Edited by Gazza]
26th January 2008 09:12 PM
Shoshanna
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Enough. Can we start again.

Sure Gazza. I didn't realize this post would be such a lightning rod.

Any idea would be of some value.
26th January 2008 11:20 PM
Sioux Wow, guess I missed the arguments....I like your idea of the Stones social development and Western civ. I mean, they were the first BIG band who blatantly refuted authority and tradition. I think you could do a LOT with that, Shoshanna...
[Edited by Sioux]
27th January 2008 01:06 AM
andrews27 Rolling Stones and racial politics
Rolling Stones and sexual liberation

Plagiarized papers will be tattooed upon your flesh with flame in Hell. By me.
[Edited by andrews27]
27th January 2008 01:10 AM
zooeyglass Look at the 1960s alone; beyond showcasing changing music and fashions, the Stones represent the quintessential tug of war between old and new values that characterized the decade. Recreational drug use, pre-marital sex, living with partners and having children out of wedlock, and embracing non-Western philosophy/dress/music, just to name a few. Conversely, the negative press/reactions and drug busts. All can be seen to parallel the conflicts over evolving moral and cultural standards.

And then the Stones' odyssey neatly aligns with the end of the "innocent" '60s with the death of Brian Jones [the first rock star "drug" casualty] and Altamont.

Very basic and a lot more subtext than I'm giving you, but something to start you off. Good luck!
[Edited by zooeyglass]
27th January 2008 01:15 AM
Got Me Rockin
quote:
Shoshanna wrote:
I am considering writing a Rolling Stones related thesis for a sociology class I am taking. But I would like to come up with some sort of unique angle. My original thought was that I could study the parallels between the stones development and western society as a whole. But aside from their haircuts, I don't really see any relationship. Can anyone suggest a unique angle? Or maybe just give me a paper you have written in the past?

Haha, I did the same exact paper in the same exact class to for my sociology class also.

I pretty much talked about what Zooeyglass said and used what happened at Altamont as a big reference. I suggest if you haven't already to watch the movie Gimme Shelter.
27th January 2008 01:36 AM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
zooeyglass wrote:
Recreational drug use, pre-marital sex, living with partners and having children out of wedlock, and embracing non-Western philosophy/dress/music,

Non-western Philosophy?

Gazza, why so jumpy?
[Edited by The jinn, my friend.]
27th January 2008 09:28 AM
nankerphelge Your paper should focus on the nitwits that:

(1) discovered the Stones
(2) studied the Stones
(3) thought they were as cool as the Stones
(4) started to act like the Stones
(5) became obsessed with the Stones
(6) spent entirely too much money on the stones, repeatedly
(7) discovered the Internet
(8) discovered like minded nitwits, and
(9) now inhabitate various message boards

This place alone could provide you with a Ph.D. in sociology or psychology or some other sort of -ology.

Stonesiology - the study of behavior and behavior modification in Stones fans.

[Edited by nankerphelge]
27th January 2008 10:57 AM
zooeyglass
quote:
The jinn, my friend. wrote:

Non-western Philosophy?

Gazza, why so jumpy?

The Maharishi thing
27th January 2008 10:58 AM
Some Guy Emotional Rescues emotional impact on modern day society.
27th January 2008 11:10 AM
Gazza
quote:

Non-western Philosophy?

Gazza, why so jumpy?

Because once the thread opened, a poster immediately made a comment which was inappropriate, the thread starter replied with a personal comment aimed at that poster which (whilst he didnt realise it) was even more inappropriate and it had the potential of descending into a bitchfest. I deleted it to keep the thread on topic, which I would think was what both posters would have preferred. Fair enough?
[Edited by Gazza]
27th January 2008 11:29 AM
andrews27
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Because once the thread opened, a poster immediately made a comment which was inappropriate, the thread starter replied with a personal comment aimed at that poster which (whilst he didnt realise it) was even more inappropriate and it had the potential of descending into a bitchfest. I deleted it to keep the thread on topic, which I would think was what both posters would have preferred. Fair enough?
[Edited by Gazza]

Surprisingly - it wasn't me!
27th January 2008 11:35 AM
andrews27
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Your paper should focus on the nitwits that:

(1) discovered the Stones
(2) studied the Stones
(3) thought they were as cool as the Stones
(4) started to act like the Stones

Good ideas - but also all the crewcut Americans and school-tie English who hated the Stones - especially those in the record business and press, old and young-and-on-the-make. You should show how the Stones made these people Stones-haters, or how some of them came around and why. The climax of the paper is the drug busts and Brian's death. The end of the road is the press conference in Gimme Shelter where Mick answers the question, "Are you satisfied today?" (In response to once having written "Satisfaction.") The full-stop comes at Altamont. Everything from the climax to the end shows how the Stones helped create a world that first rejected them, then encouraged them in their madness, then how - under their influence - it turned around and slapped them in their faces.
[Edited by andrews27]
27th January 2008 12:14 PM
gimmekeef I wouldnt risk my degree by trying this.Unless one of us here is marking the paper you'll get screwed.My hunch is you have a U2 lovin prof....
27th January 2008 12:17 PM
Joey " My original thought was that I could study the parallels between the stones development and western society as a whole. "

< ---- Frig all that ---- The Rolling Stones are a great band .

Man , you said it Lil' Fella ( Lil' Fijicakes )

Oh , Lil' ...... Little Fiji ....... Little Fiji

J. Fly !

27th January 2008 01:16 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

Oh....had no clue about the deletes. I was puzzled. Sorry. I thought she was getting picked on for Joey's plagiarism. I apologize.
27th January 2008 01:33 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
zooeyglass wrote:

The Maharishi thing

Ok... I am confused. I have studied Vedas. Maybe you mean they met Maharishi once. I do not see any reflection to a Sutras with the Stones. Even putting aside the Vedas. What school of thought was any of their Surtas?

To my knowledge no teacher promotes {Recreational drug use, pre-marital sex, living with partners and having children out of wedlock,}
27th January 2008 02:27 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:

To my knowledge no teacher promotes {Recreational drug use, pre-marital sex, living with partners and having children out of wedlock,}

You're right. I only promote love.
27th January 2008 02:36 PM
zooeyglass
quote:

Ok... I am confused. I have studied Vedas. Maybe you mean they met Maharishi once. I do not see any reflection to a Sutras with the Stones. Even putting aside the Vedas. What school of thought was any of their Surtas?

True, "embracing" is too strong a statement, just sheer laziness on my part in not differentiating between any interest in non-Western philosophy and the clear interest in non-Western music/clothes. They checked it out, even as a trendy thing with no lasting impact, and one can easily make the case they represent the general trend in the '60s of looking beyond the Western world for guidance.

27th January 2008 02:50 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

You're right. I only promote love.

Thank you for sharing bonoislove.
Very good.
And what does one do when promoting?
Could you share with us?
27th January 2008 02:57 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:

And what does one do when promoting?

One feels as happy as a little girl.
27th January 2008 03:02 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
zooeyglass wrote:

True, "embracing" is too strong a statement, just sheer laziness on my part in not differentiating between any interest in non-Western philosophy and the clear interest in non-Western music/clothes. They checked it out, even as a trendy thing with no lasting impact, and one can easily make the case they represent the general trend in the '60s of looking beyond the Western world for guidance.

Thanks for the clarification.
It was a bit of a stain to include the Stones as Vedic teachers. I agree they enjoyed wearing costumes. Not so sure about the music.
I have studied the effectual of music under a vedic teacher. I did not in anyway recognize any placement of any vedic principles in anyway during the course of experience of my exposure to the Stones, past or present; and do not expect to see the discipline explored in the future.
27th January 2008 03:07 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

One feels as happy as a little girl.

Very good effort bonoislove.
If you feel happy, is it an experience or an action?
You are doing very good.
Please share with us again.

27th January 2008 03:16 PM
Bloozehound Do your thesis on Jeff Spicoli's dream sequence from Fast Times at Ridgemont High

27th January 2008 03:35 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:

If you feel happy is it an experience or an action?

An everlasting experience. I could feel happier, maybe if Michael Jackson received another Grammy.
27th January 2008 04:18 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

An everlasting experience. I could feel happier, maybe if Michael Jackson received another Grammy.

This is very good, bonoislove.
This statement is dynamic in thought.

Let me restate what you said, to make sure I understand.

Feeling happy is an experience not an action.

Is this true?

If so,

How do experiences come to be?

Sharing words is a conservative action. Conservative can at times be very good.

27th January 2008 04:27 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:

This is very good, bonoislove.
This statement is dynamic in thought.

Let me restate what you said, to make sure I understand.

Feeling happy is an experience not an action.

Is this true?

If so,

How do experiences come to be?

Sharing words is a conservative action. Conservative can at times be very good.

What I really want to know is, is there's something more disappointing than opening a Christmas present and getting something that's all wrong, like an ugly shirt?
27th January 2008 05:19 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

What I really want to know is, is there's something more disappointing than opening a Christmas present and getting something that's all wrong, like an ugly shirt?

I cannot give you answers to your experiences.

Accepting that you are disabled with ADD is challenging.
Finding ways to make it less limiting will bring relief, even at your advanced age. There is no reason to go a whole life and not experience a more developed life.

Conversation is a healthy way to expression.
27th January 2008 05:38 PM
zooeyglass
quote:

Thanks for the clarification.
It was a bit of a stain to include the Stones as Vedic teachers. I agree they enjoyed wearing costumes. Not so sure about the music.
I have studied the effectual of music under a vedic teacher. I did not in anyway recognize any placement of any vedic principles in anyway during the course of experience of my exposure to the Stones, past or present; and do not expect to see the discipline explored in the future.

I wouldn't necessarily equate the term non-Western with Hinduism, even as popular as it was in the 1960s. Not the Stones' music, but Brian Jones recording the Ganoua and Jajouka musicians. Islamic.
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)