ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine a Light" World Premier
The 58th Berlinale International Film Festival - February 7, 2008
© Andreas Fechner with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Patio Ain't Dry Return to archive
24th January 2008 01:28 PM
Throwaway Maybe it's been discussed before, but I don't understand Keith's line from T&A, "pool's in but the patio ain't dry." Sure the literal meaning, but does anyone know what this phrase means?
24th January 2008 01:39 PM
steel driving hammer I've always thought it means - It's Always Something.

Like the little bitch has an excuse for everything.

I love the "Hey" part in the song.
24th January 2008 01:45 PM
Fiji Joe From the Lenny Bruce Wikipedia entry...

"Keith Richards (another fan) adapted a line from Lenny Bruce's "The Palladium" for the Rolling Stones song "Little T&A", where it became "the pool's in but the patio ain't dry"
24th January 2008 01:50 PM
Fiji Joe "This is one of Bruce’s enduring classic treasures, of a low-level comic badgering his agent (“The pool isn’t in yet, but the patio is dry”) to play the “big rooms” (“I want a class date ... I can’t keep going back to Montreal ...”), who, after trying to talk him down, gives into the comic’s demand and books him at the Palladium in London (“You open on the 19th with Georgia Gibbs ... Bobby Breen ... Helen Noga, .. And Bruno Hauptmann’s son ... For some insurance there...”)"

Keef must have been too high to keep the phrase straight...
24th January 2008 01:51 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
From the Lenny Bruce Wikipedia entry...

"Keith Richards (another fan) adapted a line from Lenny Bruce's "The Palladium" for the Rolling Stones song "Little T&A", where it became "the pool's in but the patio ain't dry"

Does that mean the pool is ready, but you can't get to it?
24th January 2008 01:52 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

It means, as Bruce was saying, I have a patio, now get me a good paying gig so I can buy a pool to go with it
24th January 2008 01:58 PM
steel driving hammer So it's not "It's Always Something"?

What if I still think it is though?
24th January 2008 02:00 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
So it's not "It's Always Something"?

What if I still think it is though?

I don't think Keith put too much thought into it...not nearly as much as we are...he messed the phrase up anyway...so who is he to tell us what it means?
24th January 2008 02:13 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
"This is one of Bruce’s enduring classic treasures, of a low-level comic badgering his agent (“The pool isn’t in yet, but the patio is dry”) to play the “big rooms” (“I want a class date ... I can’t keep going back to Montreal ...”), who, after trying to talk him down, gives into the comic’s demand and books him at the Palladium in London (“You open on the 19th with Georgia Gibbs ... Bobby Breen ... Helen Noga, .. And Bruno Hauptmann’s son ... For some insurance there...”)"

Keef must have been too high to keep the phrase straight...

Ok, now I git it, sorta..
24th January 2008 02:14 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
so who is he to tell us what it means?

I thought he's God.
24th January 2008 02:18 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

I thought he's God.

Yeah...how's that working out for ya?
24th January 2008 02:19 PM
steel driving hammer Little T & A ...

24th January 2008 05:43 PM
andrews27 I've been waiting for years for somebody, somewhere, to ask this. It sounds like a menstruation reference, a real one thrown in on the license granted them by the misread menstrual reference in Satisfaction. (Listeners thought "You see I'm on a losing streak" was a vulgar part of the girl's line about being indisposed, "[She] tells me, 'Baby better come back, maybe next week...' "). Really it's just the singer complaining about his luck again.

Perhaps, also, it's personalized now in this song about Patti Hansen -- "The pool's in but the Patti-o ain't dry!"

That sounds like gnarly old Keith, dunnit? Describing the bis T&A coming home back home from a model shoot but being indisposed to bare her breasts? I agree, it's a misquote from Lenny Bruce. But artists misquote purposefully.

For so-called cock rockers, the Stones canon is full of vaginal imagery metaphorized as car parts, architecture, "front doorbells" being rung, etc. ("Rang her doorbell" is nasty slang for cunnilingus in my home town, and they must have similar dirty-old-man talk in England.)

This time Keith decided to be hung, drawn and quartered for a sheep just as well as a lamb, in regard to the old Satisfaction misreading.

Now what image is conjured up in "You knifed me in that dirty, filthy basement," perhaps unconsciously on the singer's part?

[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
24th January 2008 05:45 PM
Joey
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24th January 2008 06:51 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Joey wrote:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to offend, Suzi.
24th January 2008 09:39 PM
Throwaway thanks for the replies guys...when Keith's lyrics are intelligible can be clever! (or x rated, if its on his solo albums)
25th January 2008 12:21 AM
glencar >>Now what do you think "You knifed me in that dirty, filthy basement" seems to conjure up, perhaps unconsciously? <<

The mind reels...
26th January 2008 04:38 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
From the Lenny Bruce Wikipedia entry...

ah Feej you beat me to it - as long time posters with good memory's may recall I claimed to have "found" this one years ago (certainly pre-wikipedia entry)

Big deal you all may say and fair enough - still it was great buzz to come across that line(the meaning of whichI too had long pondered)while reading some Bruce
26th January 2008 04:54 PM
Joey
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

ah Feej you beat me to it - as long time posters with good memory's may recall I claimed to have "found" this one years ago (certainly pre-wikipedia entry)

Big deal you all may say and fair enough - still it was great buzz to come across that line(the meaning of whichI too had long pondered)while reading some Bruce

Hello S.I.A.
26th January 2008 05:49 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

Yeah...I remembered the question had been answered, I just didn't remember the answer...google is putting smart guys like you outta business...

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
26th January 2008 08:53 PM
fireontheplatter is pretty self explatatory really

think about it

obviously you are not in the construction business
27th January 2008 10:03 PM
stonedinaustralia well thanks for the compliment Feej

hey Joey - I see Blowey is conspicuous by his absence lately...run out of material perhaps??

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)