ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine a Light" World Premier
The 58th Berlinale International Film Festival - February 7, 2008
© Andreas Fechner with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie Wood's Book Return to archive Page: 1 2
24th January 2008 10:48 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Hi Guys

I was fortunate enough to get along to Zavvi just before Christmas and get my copy signed.

I didnt start reading untill Tuesday. Having now finnished the book I must say that Im a little dissapointed.

I thought there might be a few more tales of excess and a bit more name dropping.

Nothing Ronnie mentioned in the book struck me as anything I hadnt already known.

What do you guys think?
24th January 2008 11:04 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Hi Guys

I was fortunate enough to get along to Zavvi just before Christmas and get my copy signed.

I didnt start reading untill Tuesday. Having now finnished the book I must say that Im a little dissapointed.

I thought there might be a few more tales of excess and a bit more name dropping.

Nothing Ronnie mentioned in the book struck me as anything I hadnt already known.

What do you guys think?

A LOT OF IT IS TAKEN VERBATIM FROM HIS 1987 BOOK "the works"

ANOTHER HALF ASSED EFFORT..
24th January 2008 11:07 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

A LOT OF IT IS TAKEN VERBATIM FROM HIS 1987 BOOK "the works"

ANOTHER HALF ASSED EFFORT..

I agree.

Its not the worst book in the world, but by no means great.

I hope Ronnies effort doesnt set the standard for Keiths!
24th January 2008 11:14 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

I agree.

Its not the worst book in the world, but by no means great.

I hope Ronnies effort doesnt set the standard for Keiths!

I ACTUALLY THINK IT WILL BE WORSE

ERIC CLAPTON'S BOOK WAS EXCELLENT
24th January 2008 11:25 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

I ACTUALLY THINK IT WILL BE WORSE

ERIC CLAPTON'S BOOK WAS EXCELLENT

I was thinkning that. I get the feeling that it will be heavily ghost written and that a lot of it will be a guessing game for Keith.

I know a few people may laugh, but the last book I really enjoyed was a book about Freddie Mercury written by his PA, Peter Freestone.

It was a no bullshit, warts and all insight into the guys life.

Very interesting.
24th January 2008 11:53 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

I was thinkning that. I get the feeling that it will be heavily ghost written and that a lot of it will be a guessing game for Keith.

I know a few people may laugh, but the last book I really enjoyed was a book about Freddie Mercury written by his PA, Peter Freestone.

It was a no bullshit, warts and all insight into the guys life.

Very interesting.

I'M GONNA PICK THAT UP
SO MANY ROCK BOOKS ARE BULLSHIT COMPILATION JOBS
24th January 2008 12:56 PM
Erik_Snow Yes, the Clapton book is excellent
[Edited by Erik_Snow]
24th January 2008 02:47 PM
Make It Funky G'day.. Im not too sure what your criteria is in considering Claptons book great, because, I thought it was boring and uninspiring.

"I opened my guitar case. I pulled my Gibson out. Attached the strap. It was a fun time. Plugged it in, tried to remember how to tune it, and..."

WTF?? In his whole life, you'd think he would have been able to give people like you and me some inspiration adn inside information on "life", not a pedastel to brag and make confessionals to make him feel better about himself. Infact, I have hardly any respect for him now, after reading that book. I never realised how much of a loser Eric Clapton really was. He's a complete fucking wanker. I feel sorry for him. He has so much issues, that, as therapeutic as the book may have been for him, it disturbed me. Pityful.

Conversely, I don't think KEith Richards' book is going to be any more insightful. Unless he got over himself, quit making up all the lies from teh past, in manufacturing what happened in his pathological mind to what really happened, and gave us some perspective.. (ie. quality gradings of heroin to comparative analyses between Twin Reverbs and MesaBoogie amps). I want to be informed!! A lesson learned. A life lived. And maybe I'd like to know what really was said in Fordyce, Arkansas in 1975.

Cheers World!
Ian
24th January 2008 04:23 PM
Bitch Well, I enjoyed Ronnie's book! Easy reading, nice pics & affordably priced! I never read his first book so I cant comment if the contents are repeated. While reading the book I was surprised about how many musicians he has hung out with and partied with. And his drinking, drugging, and partying history is mighty impressive! Fvcking hard core!! I cant condone it, but I respect it!! RONNIE is diverse musically and I was impressed he has played with so many gigs since the early days of R&R. I love hearing sbout the early years! They were cool times!

After finishing RONNIE's book I was happy I read it. BUT I would of preferred more juicy stories about MICK! Ronnie hardly mentions MICK at all!! I bet MICK told him not to write about him, lol! He did have some funny KEEF stories, too! KEEF was a fvcking dangerous dude and he is so damn lucky on several levels of danger he has flirted with.

Overall I rate Ronnies book **** 4 out of 5 stars.
24th January 2008 04:30 PM
gypsy Total snoozefest.

I can't wait for Keith's book to come out. He is a great storyteller, and I think his book will be very interesting.
24th January 2008 05:06 PM
Gazza
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Total snoozefest.

I can't wait for Keith's book to come out. He is a great storyteller, and I think his book will be very interesting.

It has the potential to be, and his turn of phrase (if his co-writer manages to get it across) should make it hilarious.

The main issue is whether it'll belong in the 'biography' or 'fiction' section.
24th January 2008 05:07 PM
Mr.D

I thought ronnie was great, it was just typical stones, a cool nice quick enough paced book with tales of a rock stars life, ups and downs and all, it was cooled, like the bit about ronnie, keith and ur woman in paris, it was good, not tremendous but i liked reading it, as an avid reader it was a nice change from camus, sartre and vargas llosa; im really lookin forward to keiths, and jagger's if he gets it done, should be good

anyone ever read chronicles by dylan, i think it makes most rock or popular music cultural figure books look like shit, its a tremendous read, i didnt like readin about the oh mercy period cos i hate that album and the lyrics are shit compared to most dylan stuff, but its great, and open up and bleed (about) iggy pop is really great, by paul trynka
24th January 2008 05:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mr.D wrote:

I thought ronnie was great, it was just typical stones, a cool nice quick enough paced book with tales of a rock stars life, ups and downs and all, it was cooled, like the bit about ronnie, keith and ur woman in paris, it was good, not tremendous but i liked reading it, as an avid reader it was a nice change from camus, sartre and vargas llosa; im really lookin forward to keiths, and jagger's if he gets it done, should be good

anyone ever read chronicles by dylan, i think it makes most rock or popular music cultural figure books look like shit, its a tremendous read, i didnt like readin about the oh mercy period cos i hate that album and the lyrics are shit compared to most dylan stuff, but its great, and open up and bleed (about) iggy pop is really great, by paul trynka

Jagger was given a multi-million pound advance for his autobiography around 1984 and gave it back as he couldnt remember anything and couldnt be arsed trying to. Mick is far too guarded and self-conscious to ever put out a decent autobiography - he'll never write one. Keith and Ronnie, by contrast, couldnt give a shit.

Dylan's is great. So informative, yet you still learn so little about his private life. Hope it's not too long a wait for the next two volumes.
24th January 2008 05:12 PM
Dan I got Clapton's out of the library earlier this week. They also have Ronnie but it's been checked out.

Andy Summers book was really good. I also want to read Rudy Sarzo's but I doubt the library will have it and I don't want to buy it. Slash's looks good.
24th January 2008 05:32 PM
gypsy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

It has the potential to be, and his turn of phrase (if his co-writer manages to get it across) should make it hilarious.

The main issue is whether it'll belong in the 'biography' or 'fiction' section.

Yes, it does. And, God love him, Keith does tend to embellish quite a bit.
24th January 2008 05:37 PM
TomL Gypsy- I could not post this on the other thread caused it was closed,but if I paint my pee pee black will that due?

Fingers crossed.
24th January 2008 05:44 PM
Joey " .. but if I paint my pee pee black will that due? "

24th January 2008 05:46 PM
gypsy
quote:
TomL wrote:
Gypsy- I could not post this on the other thread caused it was closed,but if I paint my pee pee black will that due?

Fingers crossed.

I see a pee pee and I want it painted black!
24th January 2008 05:49 PM
Joey " I see a pee pee and I want it painted black! "

{{ CA - FRIGGIN - RACK !!!!! }}

JJJJJJJJACKY !
24th January 2008 05:52 PM
TomL To Sherman Williams I go. LOL. I better get a roller.
24th January 2008 05:53 PM
Joey " I better get a roller. "

24th January 2008 06:02 PM
TomL that face says it all jack y.......It's hard being half black.
24th January 2008 06:06 PM
CrissCrossMind Paint It Black ... Keith's book title .... me thinks Keith's book will be total BS ... softer around the edges than Ronnie's book ... Jagger may yet write the definitive Stones book ... once they retire from the road ... he could use the final Stones drawing from the Rock Dreams book as the cover ... just read Golden Stone today ... why do writers have to have such a slant ... just tell it like it was or is ... BJ was a quite sensitive, intellegent first class asshole ... CCM
24th January 2008 06:10 PM
TomL Keith will retire from the road when he is dead. And that's the way it should be. Never again will you see a band like this. So take pride in killing your self with them. SEX, DRUGS and PURE ROCK N ROLL.
24th January 2008 06:14 PM
Dan
quote:
CrissCrossMind wrote:
Jagger may yet write the definitive Stones book

I doubt this very much.
24th January 2008 06:15 PM
gypsy
quote:
CrissCrossMind wrote:
Paint It Black ... Keith's book title .... me thinks Keith's book will be total BS ... softer around the edges than Ronnie's book ... Jagger may yet write the definitive Stones book ... once they retire from the road ... he could use the final Stones drawing from the Rock Dreams book as the cover ... just read Golden Stone today ... why do writers have to have such a slant ... just tell it like it was or is ... BJ was a quite sensitive, intellegent first class asshole ... CCM

I can't stomach the Brian books...Golden Stone and all that shit. The guy was an asshole to women in general, did nothing for his kids. And all of his masochistic fans are, "If only he had more time, he'd have made good." Bullshit.
24th January 2008 06:16 PM
gypsy
quote:
TomL wrote:
To Sherman Williams I go. LOL. I better get a roller.

Just a small one.
24th January 2008 06:21 PM
fireontheplatter i waited 10 hours inside and outside in nyc during his book signing deal e o.
for whatever it is worth the book, i thought, was a fun read. towards the middle i thought he went off on the wine and coke thing and i got a bit tired of that. i mean i don't give a fuck if he spent a large part of his life doing this, but he kept repeating it over and over to the point where i thought he was almost bragging about it. i think he overdid the drug/drinking thing.

i did enjoy the history parts for sure and i appreciate that he was born and raised into a musical family.

at barnes and noble in nyc i got to see him up close and personal and i got to shake his hand and say something like, thanks dude.....i got my copy and my friend lisas copy personally autographed.

i finished reading it months ago, but from time to time i open it up and read a chapter or two.

ron wood fits in very well with keith and mick and i hope to hear another cd and tour from them
24th January 2008 06:26 PM
Dan
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i waited 10 hours inside and outside in nyc during his book signing deal e o.
for whatever it is worth the book, i thought, was a fun read. towards the middle i thought he went off on the wine and coke thing and i got a bit tired of that. i mean i don't give a fuck if he spent a large part of his life doing this, but he kept repeating it over and over to the point where i thought he was almost bragging about it. i think he overdid the drug/drinking thing.

You should try reading the Anthony Kiedis book.
24th January 2008 06:26 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
gypsy wrote:

I see a pee pee and I want it painted, black!

Forgot the comma.
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)