ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine a Light" World Premier
The 58th Berlinale International Film Festival - February 7, 2008
© Andreas Fechner with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hillary Leads ................. ( Stones Content ) ..... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
11th January 2008 05:45 PM
Joey "This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every State house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."

Dwight D. Eisenhower

[/quote]

IKE was friggin boring

11th January 2008 05:54 PM
lotsajizz Smedley Butler was a TRUE patriot, not a blind bagman for big biz like the modern GOPheads
11th January 2008 05:56 PM
tumbled Riffy I merely suggest that the republican party has become notoriously corrupt as of late, and starting with the trickle down economic theory, when in fact we were duped into giving tax breaks to corporate interests, de-regulating utilities, contracting out of government services, and reduction in quality of education, psychiatric, community library and food inspection programs in short, insurances of quality of life was taken from us and handed over to corporate profits.

I really think the whole party thing has FLIPPED, b/c you are right in the 20's 30's, 40's the republican party acted as the democratic party today. it done did the turn around somehow. and the old timers think they gotta stick with whatever party gramma was in.
[Edited by tumbled]
11th January 2008 06:45 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Growing up in Georgia, I can just about assure you that Riffy knows more about black folks than anyone here...except me who happens to be black...

If you're black, who was that guy in the photo with Charlie Watts?
11th January 2008 06:50 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Very mixed up? What the hell are you talking about? I am stating the very same exact thing that many people inside the black community are saying themselves!!!!!! Tell Bill Cosby that he's mixed up. Tell it to the black leaders that are brave enough to come out and say, "We must start taking on the responsibility for our own communities!" Hell even that racist extrondinaire Louis Farrakhan says it.

Democrats love to demonize the Republican party as a party of racists. That is pure bullshit!! Tumbled it was the Republican Party that pushed for every single major civil rights bill to be put into law!!! The Democrats, including Al Gore's own father, were staunchly against them! Get your facts straight! Try reading a little about the history of the civil rights movement and see who supported it, and who was against it!

Here's a clue...

Democrat! Nuff said.

Riffy

PS-I grew up in Georgia. I now live on the Jersey Shore.

So, Riffy, I take it that you recognize Dixiecrat George Corley Wallace in the photo, but how about the fellow who is facing him down? That's Nicholas B. Katzenbach, Assistant Attorney General in the Kennedy Administration. Please note that the Civil Rights Acts were passed by a Democratic-controlled Congress and signed by Democratic President Lyndon Baines Johnson. Those racist Southern Democrats you decry are all Republicans now, and have been since Richard Milhous Nixon launched his infamous Southern Strategy.
14th January 2008 05:13 PM
Joey
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

If you're black, who was that guy in the photo with Charlie Watts?

Funny !!!!!!
14th January 2008 06:47 PM
texile
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

In today's Democrat Party JFK would be an outsider looking in. He believed in a strong robust military and low taxes. Does that sound like any Dem of today to you? Hell no!

Riffy

nothing scorned like a pissed off former democrat or republican....
i'm a life-long democrat, but agree that the current establishment is a thousand miles from its fdr, jfk/rfk tradition.
the clinton revolution has derailed its ideals and turned the party into a unanimous block of self-serving egotists.
obama may seem naive, but the party's foundation has always been built in part by that idealism and sense of hope.
at least that's a thousand miles from the clinton's masturbatory sense of entitlement.
14th January 2008 07:47 PM
glencar
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Wow.
tumbled drops her gloves and enters the political arena like a dynamo!!

Careful, girlfriend.
Someone will label you "gynocentric" very soon.

LJ.

LOL Thought I wouldn't see this, dincha now, uh uh? And you know what? I spent the weekend with my sistah & she & her hubs are HUGE Hilary supporters & yes, I believe it's all a gynocentric plot. Their biggest reason for supporting HRC? Uh, um, uh, she voted to increase autism funding! Plus, she's a woman & we've had 200+ years of men leading & it's about time a woman did it! Yes, my bro-in-law agreed with this nutty reasoning.
14th January 2008 07:49 PM
LadyJane Your Sister is a very wise woman.
And NO I wasn't hiding anything.
Howe did I know you were off skiing??
Ummmmmm.

LOL

LJ.
14th January 2008 07:53 PM
glencar
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

So, Riffy, I take it that you recognize Dixiecrat George Corley Wallace in the photo, but how about the fellow who is facing him down? That's Nicholas B. Katzenbach, Assistant Attorney General in the Kennedy Administration. Please note that the Civil Rights Acts were passed by a Democratic-controlled Congress and signed by Democratic President Lyndon Baines Johnson. Those racist Southern Democrats you decry are all Republicans now, and have been since Richard Milhous Nixon launched his infamous Southern Strategy.

LOL Dumbass don't know but that GHWB lost his race in the 60's because he voted for that civil rights act. It was mostly Republicans who voted for it. Ancient history now because I'd sure like to keep them niggaz down. I know! Let's give them generations of welfare payments & stick them in the shittiest schools!
14th January 2008 07:54 PM
glencar
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Your Sister is a very wise woman.
And NO I wasn't hiding anything.
Howe did I know you were off skiing??
Ummmmmm.

LOL

LJ.

She is actually quite smart except when it comes to politics. Seriously. I was just kidding ya about "hiding" anything. You're as honest as the day is long. I think I mentioned the skiing on one of those threads Starbuck started, one with his actual handle.
14th January 2008 07:57 PM
LadyJane
quote:
glencar wrote:
She is actually quite smart except when it comes to politics. Seriously. I was just kidding ya about "hiding" anything. You're as honest as the day is long. I think I mentioned the skiing on one of those threads Starbuck started, one with his actual handle.

I know, my GOP friend.
I know.

LJ.
14th January 2008 09:28 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
glencar wrote:
LOL Dumbass don't know but that GHWB lost his race in the 60's because he voted for that civil rights act. It was mostly Republicans who voted for it. Ancient history now because I'd sure like to keep them niggaz down. I know! Let's give them generations of welfare payments & stick them in the shittiest schools!

So, howe did Senator Barry Goldwater vote on the Civil Rights Act of 1964, you so smart? And if the CRA was such a Republican law, why were the only states that went Republican in the 1964 presidential election (other than Goldwater's Arizona) the deepest of the still very Jim Crow Deep South: Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia?
[Edited by Brainbell Jangler]
15th January 2008 01:38 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
LOL Thought I wouldn't see this, dincha now, uh uh? And you know what? I spent the weekend with my sistah & she & her hubs are HUGE Hilary supporters & yes, I believe it's all a gynocentric plot. Their biggest reason for supporting HRC? Uh, um, uh, she voted to increase autism funding! Plus, she's a woman & we've had 200+ years of men leading & it's about time a woman did it! Yes, my bro-in-law agreed with this nutty reasoning.

Son ........................

Yes .

Continue to use your aggressive feelings . Let the Hatred you have for the Democrats flow through you and complete your journey . Welcome .

J.
15th January 2008 03:15 PM
glencar Fuck off, Twit.
15th January 2008 03:16 PM
glencar Anyway, back to the adult conversation: Hilary & Barack are clearly race-baiting each other. As usual, the Breck Girl has nothing to say.
15th January 2008 03:25 PM
monkey_man Take the quiz and find out who you agree with most:

http://www.vajoe.com/candidate_calculator.html
15th January 2008 03:50 PM
LadyJane
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
Take the quiz and find out who you agree with most:

http://www.vajoe.com/candidate_calculator.html

This quiz puts me firmly in Hillary's camp.
Last quiz I took put me in Ron Paul's camp.

LJ.
15th January 2008 03:56 PM
glencar Top Candidates

* Gravel - 14.44%
* Giuliani - 11.65%
* Huckabee - 10.05%
* Kucinich - 9.76%
* Romney - 9.27%
* Cox - 7.43%
* Biden - 7.31%
* Clinton - 4.27%
* Hunter - 4.01%
* Obama - 4.01%
* Dodd - 3.99%
* Tancredo - 2.64%
* Tommy Thompson - 2.59%
* Fred Thompson - 2.30%
* Paul - 2.03%
* Richardson - 1.57%
* Edwards - 1.24%
* Brownback - 1.05%
* Mccain - 0.37%

Party Results Republican - 53.39%
Democrat - 46.59%

Top Five Issues

* Abortion
* Iraq Support
* Universal Health Care
* Same Sex Marriage
* Gun Background Checks

inneresting results! The GOP actually leads on the issues?!? I ended up wit Romney but I think he's a DMW.
15th January 2008 03:57 PM
robpop I was put in Gravel's. Funny. I have taken several of these "surveys" with a new result everytime.
15th January 2008 04:00 PM
robpop Abortion and same sex marriage our in the top five issues. What a fucked up country we live in. Why do these issues bother so many?
15th January 2008 04:08 PM
monkey_man
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

This quiz puts me firmly in Hillary's camp.
Last quiz I took put me in Ron Paul's camp.

LJ.

Yeah I think they are skewed towards certain candidates. That one put me in Kucinich's camp. This one put me in Hillary's camp: http://www.wqad.com/Global/link.asp?L=259460
15th January 2008 04:16 PM
glencar
quote:
robpop wrote:
Abortion and same sex marriage our in the top five issues. What a fucked up country we live in. Why do these issues bother so many?

Have you ever heard the term "wedge issues"? There aren't that many differences on most major issues so these "wedge issues" are what define candidates. Last debate Hilary attacked Obama for not being strident enough on abortion wherein Obama said he HAD been quite strident. Same thing with gays & other shit.
15th January 2008 04:19 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Fuck off, Twit.

blue ..............................

Recession or No Recession ...................?!

You Decide ! :

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080115/wall_street.html

" NEW YORK (AP) -- A growing conviction that the U.S. is headed toward recession sent Wall Street plunging Tuesday, with weak retail sales figures and a disappointing quarterly report from Citigroup Inc. exacerbating investors' pessimistic mood. The Dow Jones industrials fell nearly 280 points.
Investors backed away from stocks amid growing concerns that consumer spending will wane this year and contribute to an economic downturn. The latest evidence that consumers are retrenching came from the Commerce Department, which said retail sales fell in December and which also revised its November figures lower. Spending by consumers, which accounts for more than two-thirds of U.S. economic activity, has been key to staving off economic slowdowns in recent years.

There is also a growing fear that the Federal Reserve hasn't done enough to keep the economy going -- especially as investors continue to see the fallout from the summer's subprime mortgage crisis. Citigroup, the nation's biggest bank, announced on Tuesday a hefty $18.1 billion write-down for bad mortgage assets and slashed its dividend.

Brian Gendreau, investment strategist for ING Investment Management, said the market is now seeing "a decisive shift" toward a recession.

"The sectors that are outperforming are defensive plays, like consumer staples," he said. "People don't buy them unless you're worried about sustained weakness."

Developing .........................

Shiver ........................

15th January 2008 05:09 PM
mojoman
quote:
Joey wrote:

blue ..............................

Recession or No Recession ...................?!

You Decide ! :

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080115/wall_street.html

" NEW YORK (AP) -- A growing conviction that the U.S. is headed toward recession sent Wall Street plunging Tuesday, with weak retail sales figures and a disappointing quarterly report from Citigroup Inc. exacerbating investors' pessimistic mood. The Dow Jones industrials fell nearly 280 points.
Investors backed away from stocks amid growing concerns that consumer spending will wane this year and contribute to an economic downturn. The latest evidence that consumers are retrenching came from the Commerce Department, which said retail sales fell in December and which also revised its November figures lower. Spending by consumers, which accounts for more than two-thirds of U.S. economic activity, has been key to staving off economic slowdowns in recent years.

There is also a growing fear that the Federal Reserve hasn't done enough to keep the economy going -- especially as investors continue to see the fallout from the summer's subprime mortgage crisis. Citigroup, the nation's biggest bank, announced on Tuesday a hefty $18.1 billion write-down for bad mortgage assets and slashed its dividend.

Brian Gendreau, investment strategist for ING Investment Management, said the market is now seeing "a decisive shift" toward a recession.

"The sectors that are outperforming are defensive plays, like consumer staples," he said. "People don't buy them unless you're worried about sustained weakness."

Developing .........................

Shiver ........................

But that's impossible. How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?
15th January 2008 05:16 PM
Joey
quote:
mojoman wrote:

But that's impossible. How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

By Executing Order 66 ?! :

[Edited by Joey]
15th January 2008 05:24 PM
mojoman
quote:
Joey wrote:

By Executing Order 66 ?! :

[Edited by Joey]

A Nascent Internet Takes Root in Vietnam; Gleaning Lessons Of What Is Called The 'People's War'

By MARK LANDLER

Ask Truong Gia Binh whom he looks to for inspiration in running Vietnam's largest technology company, and he doesn't name William H. Gates, Steve Jobs or any other Silicon Valley warrior.

Mr. Binh instead cites some real warriors -- the retired Vietnamese army generals who vanquished France and the United States in two of the 20th century's most remarkable military victories.

His perspective is a personal one: Mr. Binh, 44, is the son-in-law of Vo Nguyen Giap, a confidant of Ho Chi Minh and the general who masterminded Vietnam's campaigns against the French and the Americans.

''Business and war have different objectives,'' Mr. Binh said, ''but the North Vietnamese army has much to teach software developers. We're applying the lessons of the People's War to the computer business.''

At the moment, Mr. Binh's company, the Corporation for Financing and Promoting Technology, has just 750 employees, $50 million in sales, and is controlled by the Ministry of Science and Technology. Like other companies in emerging markets, F.P.T. began in outsourcing -- pumping out software for clients like the International Business Machines Corporation and Olivetti of Italy.

By harnessing the principles of guerrilla warfare -- among those used in Vietnam, nimble versatility in the face of a more powerful opponent and the willingness to endure a long struggle -- Mr. Binh hopes to transform F.P.T. into a diversified technology company that produces its own software, installs and maintains computer networks and provides Internet access, as well as online programming.

Jumping up from his seat to illustrate this novel management theory on an erasable markerboard, Mr. Binh seems utterly at ease -- even enthusiastic -- in drawing parallels between the new economy and an old war. But his comments would raise almost as many eyebrows here as in the United States.

Twenty-five years after North Vietnamese troops marched into Saigon, people speak little about the Vietnam War, or as it known here, the People's War. It is rarer still to hear such talk from the relative of a former official, particularly one in a business as future-oriented as technology.

To be sure, many sons and sons-in-law of Communist Party and military leaders have emerged as business leaders in postwar Vietnam. But most of these ''princelings'' say little about their forebears, even if these family ties are responsible for much of their success.

Of his father-in-law, however, Mr. Binh says: ''I learned so much from him. That was a huge advantage for me.
15th January 2008 05:26 PM
Joey " Mr. Binh instead cites some real warriors -- the retired Vietnamese army generals who vanquished France and the United States in two of the 20th century's most remarkable military victories. "

15th January 2008 05:30 PM
Joey
quote:
mojoman wrote:

[cc:ss]

[Edited by Joey]
15th January 2008 06:03 PM
lotsajizz I'm closest to Ron Paul, furthest from Thompson, but voting from Hillary.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)