ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1981 Stand still from LSTNT
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ANGUS YOUNG Spending 'Millions Of Dollars' On Dutch Mansion Return to archive
4th February 2007 10:37 AM
Ten Thousand Motels AC/DC Guitarist ANGUS YOUNG Spending 'Millions Of Dollars' On Dutch Mansion - Feb. 3, 2007
blabbermouth.net

Australia's Sunday Herald Sun reports:

Reclusive AC/DC guitarist Young is spending millions of dollars on a towering mansion in a sleepy Dutch village.

The controversial three-storey home boasts a basement recording studio, his-and-hers bathrooms and a swag of guest rooms.

And there's plenty of space in the vast backyard for Young to hang out his trademark schoolboy uniforms.

The property is the talk of tiny Aalten — population 12,000. Locals are aghast that the mansion is out of keeping with the modest houses of the rest of the village.

The energetic wildman's connection with the town is long-standing. Ellen, his wife of more than 25 years, is from there and her family runs the local blacksmith business.

Young recently appeared on the Netherland's annual "rich list" for the first time, with Quote 500 estimating his fortune at $125 million.

The Youngs live in a small house diagonally opposite the building site.

Ellen Young, who checks building progress every couple of hours, told the Sunday Herald Sun: "I don't want to talk to you about it. My husband is very private and this is nothing to do with you. We don't go to parties or red carpet events; we don't want attention."

Angry neighbours — who made a fuss about the house to a local Dutch newspaper — have agreed to the Youngs' request to keep quiet in future.

But some are still seething.

One, who asked not to be named, questioned why such a private couple would draw such attention to themselves.

"It is a big house in a little town," she said. "It stands out. Look at it. It does not fit.

"Angus does not want to stand out. He is shy and no one really knows him. Why build something like that?"

Nearby resident Albert Linden said: "It's a nice house, but a big house. It's in the middle of other buildings and it's not like those other buildings. Outside the village would be a better spot for something that size."

The sprawling property's impact on the streetscape surprised at least one official.

Politician Jan van Duijvenvoorde said the committee that approved the home hadn't seen the need for debate.

"On the drawings, it didn't look that big," he said.

Building work has so far taken more than two years and it will be another year before the Youngs can move in.

Neighbour Jolanda Assink said Mrs Young had shown her inside the unfinished home.

"It's very large, but nice," Mrs Assink said. "She helped design it. It has a bathroom for her and a bathroom for him. And the kitchen is very big.

"They are good neighbours. I don't see him much, but she is friendly with my children."

Young — whose band is famous for songs such as "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", "Highway to Hell", "Jailbreak" and "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock'n'Roll)" — is rarely seen in Aalten, which is in the Dutch countryside near the German border and is considered one of Holland's music hubs — although Young has never attended gigs there.

Young also owns homes in England and Australia.

4th February 2007 10:57 AM
Highwire Rob Great read, TTM!

* This is not Angus' mansion, just stock photo of Dutch mansion to get an idea of how the Angus Estate might look during jam sessions.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
4th February 2007 01:40 PM
fireontheplatter i really can't stand ac/dc these days. i do like angus's presence on stage, but the singer cannot sing his way out of a paper bag...he is freaking horrible.
i attempted to see them in toronto several years ago when the released the record..for those about to roc...but i ended up walking out. it took them something like 5 minutes to start up another song and after about 4-5 of these i was like...fuck this shit i am so out of here.
they need to find a crunchy singer like thy had on the first and second albums.

4th February 2007 02:29 PM
Highwire Rob Bon Scott! HELL YEAH! ...tell you why...

[Edited by Highwire Rob]
4th February 2007 03:44 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
Bon Scott! HELL YEAH! ...tell you why...

[Edited by Highwire Rob]

that guy was ac/dc's singer for sure. he sounds clear and crisp if you ask me. unlike that guy who tries to sing...money talks.....omg please gag me with a spoon.

good video.
[Edited by fireontheplatter]
4th February 2007 03:51 PM
Angiegirl http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/business/yourmoney/04amster.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)