ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA - February 8, 2006
© Kimberly Smith!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bigger Bang vs Vertigo (U2) tour reports Return to archive
February 4th, 2006 06:05 PM
UGot2Rollme So, I couldn't get tix to see U2 on their Vertigo tour, but I just watched (some of) the Chicago DVD and I want to report that the Vertigo songs live are as bad (or maybe even worse) than they are on the CD. What a fuckin bomb that U2 CD is ... I guess they knew it when they finally decided on the title!

In comparison, ALL of the tunes that the Stones have been playing off ABB have gone well in concert, even the bridgeless It Won't Take Long.

How do you feel?
February 4th, 2006 06:17 PM
Joey
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:

In comparison, ALL of the tunes that the Stones have been playing off ABB have gone well in concert, even the bridgeless It Won't Take Long.

How do you feel?

After witnessing the Rolling Stones in action last week ( first time THIS tour ) I am ashamed to admit that I saw U2 in concert.

Truly , THE BEST STONES YET !!!!!!

" I may go to Lil' Rock Ronnie ! "

Jerscee !
February 4th, 2006 10:33 PM
Gazza
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
So, I couldn't get tix to see U2 on their Vertigo tour, but I just watched (some of) the Chicago DVD and I want to report that the Vertigo songs live are as bad (or maybe even worse) than they are on the CD. What a fuckin bomb that U2 CD is ... I guess they knew it when they finally decided on the title!

How do you feel?

Having seen both bands, whilst naturally I enjoyed the Stones more, I'm not sure I'd agree with you.

The fact that youve stated that you didnt like the U2 album anyway isnt going to help in your comparison of both shows

I thought the new U2 songs at the show I was at sounded good, like they belonged in the set (ie, they were an integral part of the show) and the audience knew them and responded to them.

The performances of the ABB songs that I've heard have been a bit of a hit and miss. The Stones are reluctant to play them (evidenced by the fact that after having the balls to play four on opening night when the album wasnt even released, now, 5 months into the tour they're playing TWO) and as far as the audience are concerned, it seems that their traditional 2-song piss break in the middle of the show during keith's set has now been extended to 4 or 5 songs. They are NOT interested and dont know or care about these songs (which is a shame, because not only is it a good album but its better than U2's). When they played these songs at MSG, about 80% of the audience (who were otherwise pretty good and were on their feet for most of the show) sat down en masse

It Wont Take Long was an unmitigated disaster when they played it the first time and the 2nd time wasnt much better. Rain Fall Down, whilst it was an embarrassing train wreck on the AMA show has actually mostly been very good live (along with the now sadly MIA 'Back of my hand', the most consistently performed of all of the new songs)
February 4th, 2006 10:40 PM
speedfreakjive I dont agree that ABB is better than Vertigo, and Back Of My Hand is wank Gazza, sorry.

Fuck off in advance JB/Glencar.
February 4th, 2006 10:52 PM
MrPleasant One question, though: why the fuck did Wim Wenders had to capitalise his masterpiece, "Wings of Desire", in order to include (AND TO NAME) a U2 song, in the relatively (in a Cape Fear sort of manner) disappointing sequel: "Faraway, so close!"?

"Angels" are around, you know, and hopefully, if mercy still exists in the world, they don't exist in the grotesque persona of Bono (of U2 fame).
February 4th, 2006 10:55 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
I dont agree that ABB is better than Vertigo, and Back Of My Hand is wank Gazza, sorry.

regardless, it was performed better than most of the other ABB songs by comparison
February 4th, 2006 10:57 PM
gypsy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

regardless, it was performed better than most of the other ABB songs by comparison

PM for you!
February 4th, 2006 11:03 PM
Gazza thanks....right back at ya
February 4th, 2006 11:12 PM
gypsy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
thanks....right back at ya

Sent! To both your PM and your e-mail!
February 4th, 2006 11:31 PM
ExileInLA
quote:
Joey wrote:

After witnessing the Rolling Stones in action last week ( first time THIS tour ) I am ashamed to admit that I saw U2 in concert.

Truly , THE BEST STONES YET !!!!!!

" I may go to Lil' Rock Ronnie ! "

Jerscee !

are you drinking from the same til as Ronnie? best stones yet?
February 5th, 2006 02:20 AM
keefjunkie
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:
"Fuck off in advance JB/Glencar."

hahaha

thank you sfj for making laugh out loud at 3 in the morning.

[Edited by keefjunkie]
February 5th, 2006 07:53 AM
speedfreakjive No problem. Any time.
February 5th, 2006 08:05 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Yes, but my point is that they should play a good song off ABB instead like DTF or DB.
February 5th, 2006 09:18 AM
gimmekeef I think the main stage versions of Oh No Not U Again have been the best of the new...Its sad however that Springsteen/U2 could play a concert almost exclusively of their new stuff and people would "get it".Stones struggle for attention with 2-3 .....says something about the demographics of the audience and the material being played I think...
February 5th, 2006 09:38 AM
lotsajizz 'Back of My Hand' worked great live...only those who did not see it would think the song is "wank"

btw, I saw both Vertigo and Bigger Bang Tours....not even close

U-2 played well at times, but this was undoubtedly their weakest tour in some years
the Stones have generally been on fire the whole tour

[Edited by lotsajizz]
February 5th, 2006 09:48 AM
Sir Stonesalot >because not only is it a good album but its better than U2's<

I agree, ABB is better than Bomb. IMO though, neither is "good". ABB is average, and Bomb plain sucks.

I also think the reason we don't see more ABB songs in the setlist is because the mediocrity of the new songs is enhanced when played alongside true rock n roll classics. And the band knows it.
February 5th, 2006 11:44 AM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Yes, but my point is that they should play a good song off ABB instead like DTF or DB.

well..you didnt actually made that point, but now you have I actually agree with you 100% on those two choices
February 5th, 2006 12:50 PM
Poison Dart U2's new record is very overrated. But they are darlings of the press and get good reviews even when they don't deserve them.

ABB was a much better record. U2's latest put's me to sleep. I thought their previous album was much better.
February 5th, 2006 01:21 PM
MrPleasant Why DID I HAD TO POSTED THAT, like IN THE PAST? Fuck. Actually, in spite of my hatred towards U2 (which is childish, really), I like Zooropa. Maybe because "Numb" is such a laughable song; "Lemon" is so uncharasteristical; and because Johnny Cash sings the final track. And it has "Stay", which may be the only number of their discography that I might download in the future. Like, some time later.

I do hate "Pride (In The Name Of Love)", though. What a piece of shit.

I'll go back to Pleasantville, now. How about some marshmallow rice-squares? (Those are swell.)
February 5th, 2006 02:17 PM
Soldatti I'll see the two shows (Stones 2 times, U2 1) on 3-4 weeks time. I'll speak then.
BTW, ABB is a good album and Bomb average.
February 5th, 2006 02:32 PM
Stray Cat UK I saw the U2 dvd and although the playing was pretty good and the show was better than I expected,don't you think all this "Africa,Africa" stuff is a bit forced and annoying ?

The STONES are doing ok I suppose ,but just give "French Made" or just about any Voodoo show a listen and it will bring into focus a sad,sharp decline over the last decade.
I'm not going to kid myself anymore......it's almost over.

It's all about the Guitar players. Very sad,but true.

sc uk
February 5th, 2006 02:38 PM
voodoopug please note Gazza that they are doing at least three from ABB each night (i almost forgot Keith is doing TPIE, even though i enjoyed it live, RFD, and either RJ or ONNYA or even both)
February 5th, 2006 02:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
please note Gazza that they are doing at least three from ABB each night (i almost forgot Keith is doing TPIE, even though i enjoyed it live, RFD, and either RJ or ONNYA or even both)

they were consistently playing four songs early in the tour (even before the album came out) which was pretty laudable

Since the start of 2006, its been :

Montreal - 4
Boston - 3,3
New York - 4, 3
Chicago - 3,3
St Louis - 3
Omaha - 4
Baltimore - 2

To be playing two songs off a new album 5 months into the tour is an admission that you're a nostalgia act.
February 5th, 2006 03:09 PM
Dan I totally dig City Of Blinding Lights but cant even remember anything else and I have that DVD. If U2 is still kicking in 10 or 20 years it will be interesting to see how the material goes over, if they give in or resist and keep playing new stuff in spite of the complaints.

Another favorite band, Iron Maiden seems to be alternating between nostalgia tours and current album tours and they never play anything less than 6 songs if they have an album out.
February 5th, 2006 03:52 PM
atlantamoi I dunno, I like both bands very much. As much as I enjoy the new Stones album when I go see them for the first time this week I would much rather hear them perform older songs. U2 still has some decent new tunes that didn't sound bad live, but they are well on their way down and declining quickly in the studio. ("Original of the Species" is quite possibly one of the most horrendous songs ever recorded, let alone from a band I love like U2. Geez, that's a stinker). But remember, U2 isn't the same age as the Stones. I'm not bothered too much by Jagger and the guys going out and playing nothing but 33 year old songs. At that age they sort of have the right to be nostalgia.
February 5th, 2006 03:56 PM
MrPleasant A band's creativity shall be tested IN the studio. Everything else is just fireworks and opera.
February 6th, 2006 11:48 AM
jb U2 is not even remotely close to the Stones as far as live performance. They are, however, better at marketing and are indeed the media favorites. The fact that we still outgrossed them speaks volumes as people are still willing to pay more to see the Stones than a bunch of wankers who sell Ipods..
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)