ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA - February 8, 2006
© Kimberly Smith!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stevie Wonder Supports The Stones Return to archive
February 3rd, 2006 09:14 AM
gimmekeef Super Bowl Diary
Wonder puts to rest Super Bowl entertainment controversy

February 2, 2006

Email this Print this By MIKE HOUSEHOLDER

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Controversy? There's no controversy, Stevie Wonder said.

There's no controversy, Stevie Wonder said.

The Motown legend appeared at a news conference Thursday featuring the Super Bowl pregame performers.

Before a reporter could ask a single question, Wonder lifted his microphone up and said: "If we didn't want the Stones, we wouldn't be here. We want the Stones."

In the weeks leading up to Sunday's game at Ford Field, some Detroiters, including Aretha Franklin -- who sat beside Wonder Thursday -- complained that the city's Motown legacy was being snubbed with the choice of the Rolling Stones as the halftime entertainment.

Wonder put that to rest, saying he didn't "have a problem with the Stones."

"They even recorded two of my songs," he said with a smile.

The Stones were scheduled to speak to the media at a news conference later Thursday afternoon.

Wonder will play a 12-minute set before the game, and Franklin will team on the national anthem with singer Aaron Neville, keyboardist Dr. John and a 150-member Detroit-based choir.

Wonder, a 21-time Grammy winner who was born in Saginaw, will join with singers John Legend, India.Arie and Joss Stone for the pregame show. They are expected to perform some of Wonder's hits, as well as other Motown hits. In addition, the Four Tops will also perform prior to kickoff, but they will not be carried live on the ABC broadcast.

Neville said he was thrilled at the opportunity to perform alongside Detroit's own "Queen of Soul."

"I'm like a schoolboy about it," he said. "I have butterflies."

Neville, a New Orleans native, predicted the anthem would be a "bit of New Orleans and Motown mixed together.

Franklin talked about being asked in the past to perform at the Super Bowl and how excited she was to finally be able to do so in her hometown.

Near the end of the news conference, Franklin was asked whether she was surprised the big game was returning to Michigan, considering the subzero temperatures that plagued the 1982 game played at the Pontiac Silverdome.

Her reply: "I never knew it came the first time."

Email this
Print this
February 3rd, 2006 09:21 AM
Jumping Jack Stevie going to join in on Satisfaction?
February 3rd, 2006 09:31 AM
glencar I Don't Know Why I Love You was one of his songs they recorded. What was #2?
February 3rd, 2006 09:32 AM
gimmekeef If there was going to be a guest..a re-do of that 72 Uptight/Satisfaction duet would be it....Actually might be a damn good idea...hmmmmmmmmmm
February 3rd, 2006 10:12 AM
Jumping Jack Agreed. Maybe that's why Stevie is supporting them!
February 3rd, 2006 11:54 AM
jb Stevie is the man ,,,Aretha a tub of lard , overrated, tent show queen. She attempted to humiliate the Stones, but oncve again, at yesterdays press, conference , they were the biggest draw in town and Mick humiliated her fat ass by suggesting she strip-tease while singing the Natl Anthem..she is a truly vile and disgraceful individual...and she gets no RESPECT from me, or any rea/true Stones fan.
February 3rd, 2006 11:58 AM
glencar Right on, my man!
February 3rd, 2006 01:22 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
jb wrote:
Stevie is the man ,,,Aretha a tub of lard , overrated, tent show queen. She attempted to humiliate the Stones, but oncve again, at yesterdays press, conference , they were the biggest draw in town and Mick humiliated her fat ass by suggesting she strip-tease while singing the Natl Anthem..she is a truly vile and disgraceful individual...and she gets no RESPECT from me, or any rea/true Stones fan.

100% correct! She is an overweight ho....do they give free twinkies at the super bowl, otherwise she's screwed....
February 3rd, 2006 01:54 PM
jb
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:

100% correct! She is an overweight ho....do they give free twinkies at the super bowl, otherwise she's screwed....

I hate her with every fiber of my soul.........the Stones have paid more tribute to Motown than any of these Rappers/R&B groups who sell more recors to white wannabee kids than african-americans. They are the true disgrace to Motown!!!
February 3rd, 2006 02:02 PM
Saint Sway just one question:

Do you think Stevie Wonder would still respect The Stones if he saw the gay gold glitter jacket Jagger sported in yesterdays Header?

:discuss:
February 3rd, 2006 02:27 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
just one question:

Do you think Stevie Wonder would still respect The Stones if he saw the gay gold glitter jacket Jagger sported in yesterdays Header?

Yes..Stevie also dresses very sparkly these days.
February 3rd, 2006 02:29 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
just one question:

Mick was just showing he's for the Steelers in gold and black....lol..And I think if Stevie could SEE it...he'd be very happy indeed!
February 3rd, 2006 06:16 PM
Soldatti I bet money on a duo for Satisfaction.
February 4th, 2006 12:47 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
glencar wrote:
I Don't Know Why I Love You was one of his songs they recorded. What was #2?

Loving You is Sweeter Than Ever
February 4th, 2006 01:14 AM
CraigP So, now you hate her. Remember you were kissing her ass just last week?
February 4th, 2006 09:29 AM
corgi37 I see your post accreditation is 333. Thats half of 666.

BE GONE, EVIL SPIRIT! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMMANDS YOU!
February 4th, 2006 11:10 AM
glencar
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

Loving You is Sweeter Than Ever

Excellent! Now you will get an Aussie mini-tour by the Stones. Shh!
February 4th, 2006 11:11 AM
glencar BTW Jay Leno stole Mick's joke about an Aretha wardrobe malfunction. Mick had a better delivery.
February 4th, 2006 12:37 PM
Paranoid_Android An "Ebony & Ivory Redux" has been rehearsed A few times today.
February 4th, 2006 12:37 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
An "Ebony & Ivory Redux" has been rehearsed A few times today.

PSYCH!!

(But if it happens...you heard it here first!)
[Edited by Paranoid_Android]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)