ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA - February 8, 2006
© Kimberly Smith!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lydon blasts late Clash rocker Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
February 5th, 2006 02:33 PM
purrcafe
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>

I won't disagree that punk became part of the marketing machine. But there were those of us that never bought a tshirt, wore a mohawk, or stuck a saftey pin through our cheek. We knew what the REAL movement was all about...DIY, Do It Yourself. Three chords and a hail of fury.

Some of us STILL live that ethos.

Punk EVENTUALLY became part of the marketing machine (like 20 years after the fact). Truth is, punk was a dismal failure as a moneymaker for the major labels, and almost every band was dropped after failing to meet initial expectations.

Punk thrived exactly because of the DIY ethic, the independent labels, record stores and the grassroots communities of like minded individuals that provided support and places to crash to bands that toured incessantly, like Black Flag.

Read "Our Band Could Be Your Life." Nothing happens in a vaccum, and this book provides an accurate account of the longer lasting impact of the original punk movement.
February 5th, 2006 10:59 PM
corgi37 So, are the Wiggles punk? They are very DIY. Started off with no backing whatsoever. Put up all the dosh themselves. Invented their schtick, and kept to it.
February 6th, 2006 01:15 AM
JuanTCB Neither the Pistols or Clash are punk - it's just rock n' roll. They were no more shocking or controversial in '77 than the Stones were in '65 or Elvis was in '56 (and with far less records sold, too). But of course there needed to be a label attached, and that's where punk came in.

The originals didn't wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and say "Yeah - I'm a punk rocker! Fuck off!". Pretty much all of them (except Sid, of course) hated the term or being pigeonholed as such. Really, the Pistols & Clash were just great rock bands with unique sounds and diverse influences - if you want to talk punk, start with the dudes with the mohawks who worshipped the class of '77, not the class of '77 themselves (who idolized Keith Richards, The Who, Alice Cooper, and The Faces).

I don't even know if that is releveant to this topic, but I'm all fired up from the Superbowl and am feeling feisty and just wanted to get that off my chest.
February 6th, 2006 11:05 AM
bon jovi Speaking of punk rockers:

[Edited by bon jovi]
February 6th, 2006 11:49 AM
purrcafe
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
So, are the Wiggles punk? They are very DIY. Started off with no backing whatsoever. Put up all the dosh themselves. Invented their schtick, and kept to it.

Man, you ought to change your username to Devil's Advocate!
February 6th, 2006 11:52 AM
purrcafe
quote:
JuanTCB wrote:
Neither the Pistols or Clash are punk

Point well taken. It would be great if labels didn't apply, but unfortunately, I guess as goes life, so goes art.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)