ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA - February 8, 2006
© Kimberly Smith!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lydon blasts late Clash rocker Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
February 3rd, 2006 01:16 PM
purrcafe
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
if any band got close to starting a revolution and actually changed a society somewhat, it's The Beatles and the Sex Pistols.
Mathijs

The Pistols and the Stones created pretty much the same furor, only with different generations. The Stones were called talentless, just like some are still calling the Pistols talentless. Fact is, Never Mind the Bollocks is a great, high energy album, and the Pistols were (and probably still are) an incendiary live act. However, I would guess that it is hypocritical for Lydon to be critcizing Strummers lifestyle. I'm pretty certain Johnny isn't exactly living hand to mouth these days.
February 3rd, 2006 01:24 PM
sirmoonie Lydon has talent as a minimum because he wrote or co-wrote all the songs on Bollocks, and then sang them in an incredible manner - dust of the superlatives.

And Bollocks - I was listening to it the other day, that thing fires on all cyliners 25 plus years later. Truly a rock and roll shot heard round the world. If you were substantially involved in the creation of Bollocks, you de facto have talent. Axiomatic. Yahweh. I yam what I yam. sine qua non. Accept no substitutes. Six o' one.

So thats why he has talent. I can't believe this is even mongatable.
February 3rd, 2006 01:45 PM
bon jovi Strummer was a hypocrital prick and so is Lydon,the Stones and most of pop stars except maybe Jon Bon Jovi,Chuck Berry,Bob Dylan,Ted Nugent and a few others.
February 3rd, 2006 02:29 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
So GlenCar,

Day Two. You've had a night to sleep on it and think it over...

have you come up with ANY reasons why you would state that Lydon has talent?

Personally I don't see where that matters. He can sang on a classic album. Thats talent enough.

quote:

ANY????

are you capable of intelligently discussing music beyond just stating what you like and dont like??? Are you at all capable of forming an opinion and THEN backing it up with something credible??? [quote]

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa.

[quote]
Is there ANY substance to your thoughts or is it all:
"I like eggs. Eggs are good."

Hey - I like eggs! Eggs ARE good!
February 3rd, 2006 02:32 PM
pdog Egss are very punk rock...
February 3rd, 2006 03:13 PM
purrcafe
quote:
bon jovi wrote:
Strummer was a hypocrital prick and so is Lydon,the Stones and most of pop stars except maybe Jon Bon Jovi,Chuck Berry,Bob Dylan,Ted Nugent and a few others.

Um, Nugent not a hypocrite? The guy imposes his morality and ethics with impunity, but what was the story about the underage girl he was screwing back at the peak of his popularity? Did he adopt her to avoid legal repercussion? Did you check out his wife's book, where she blames groupies for tempting her husband, rather than holding Ted accountable for his own actions?

I love the guys music, Detroit high energy at it's best, but if anyone failed to walk the walk, it's Uncle Ted.
February 3rd, 2006 03:15 PM
purrcafe
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

So thats why he has talent. I can't believe this is even mongatable.

Yeah, but he threatened the status quo. And he looked funny. Evidently the knee jerk reaction to punk that we witnessed in the mid-70s is still very much alive and well.
February 3rd, 2006 03:37 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
purrcafe wrote:

The Pistols and the Stones created pretty much the same furor, only with different generations. The Stones were called talentless, just like some are still calling the Pistols talentless. Fact is, Never Mind the Bollocks is a great, high energy album, and the Pistols were (and probably still are) an incendiary live act. However, I would guess that it is hypocritical for Lydon to be critcizing Strummers lifestyle. I'm pretty certain Johnny isn't exactly living hand to mouth these days.

True, but today are about as anti-establishment as The Queen.
February 3rd, 2006 03:40 PM
Saint Sway I find it mind boggling that anyone would actually come to the defense of a jerk that bad mouthed Joe Strummer.

only Charlie Watts is classier and cooler than Joe.
February 3rd, 2006 03:41 PM
speedfreakjive you seem to have praised Joe Strummer and slated him in one post St S
February 3rd, 2006 03:43 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I find it mind boggling that anyone would actually come to the defense of a jerk that bad mouthed Joe Strummer.

It sure isn't worth getting worked up over.

quote:

only Charlie Watts is classier and cooler than Joe.

I know a few common fans who have hung out and smoked a joint with Joe so I guess I would have to agree with that.

But taking sides one way or the other in another celebrity spat (even if one party is dead) seems a little pointless.
February 3rd, 2006 03:49 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Dan wrote:

But taking sides one way or the other in another celebrity spat (even if one party is dead) seems a little pointless.

of course your post was completely necessary.
February 3rd, 2006 03:50 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

of course your post was completely necessary.

If this board was only about completely necessary, there would be no posts or content whatsoever.
February 3rd, 2006 03:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Dan wrote:

quote:
Dan wrote

If this board was only about completely necessary, there would be no posts or content whatsoever.

it starting to sound like it might be time for your meds.

February 3rd, 2006 03:59 PM
Sir Stonesalot >maybe Jon Bon Jovi,Chuck Berry,Bob Dylan,Ted Nugent and a few others.<

If anyone ever puts Bob Dylan in the same sentence with Bon Jovi and Ted Nugent again, in any context what-so-ever....I will hunt you down and castrate you without the benefit of local anesthetic.

February 3rd, 2006 04:00 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

it starting to sound like it might be time for your meds.

Nice selective quoting dick head -

thought "I know a few common fans who have hung out and smoked a joint with Joe so I guess I would have to agree with that" was quite relevent to the thread.
February 3rd, 2006 04:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot I like Joe.

I like Johnny.

I don't care if Johnny thinks Joe is a hypocrite.

I don't care if Joe thought Johnny was a sell-out.

Both of them are responsible for changing the musical direction of my life.

If it weren't for them, I still might think Kiss was cool!
February 3rd, 2006 04:14 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Dan wrote:

thought "I know a few common fans who have hung out and smoked a joint with Joe so I guess I would have to agree with that" was quite relevent to the thread.

it was:

relevent

poignant

topical

engaging

inspiring

endearing

analytical

earth shattering

and so much more!

From this day forth, please feel free to call out the pointlessness of others posts at anytime you wish.
February 3rd, 2006 04:18 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I like Joe.

I like Johnny.

Nearly the bottom line.
P.S, i do think that if this board wa about the cmpletely necessary, then it would have no posts
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
February 3rd, 2006 04:23 PM
nanatod The recent Ramones documentary contains archival interviews with Joe Strummer. Strummer indicates that both the Clash and the Pistols were "kids" [amateurish] compared to the Ramones.

Nonetheless, I still prefer the Clash to the Pistols to the Ramones.
February 3rd, 2006 04:54 PM
Dan
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I like Joe.

I like Johnny.

But KISS was cool! (The key word being "was" of course).
February 3rd, 2006 05:20 PM
Egbert
quote:
pdog wrote:
Egss are very punk rock...

Right On!

- Egbert
February 4th, 2006 10:36 AM
corgi37 You all miss the point. Mr. Rotten is spot on. Couldnt have said it better myself. I know JB would agree with me. It's all just crap. Feeding people in soup kitchens, then home to the butler. At least the Stones are not like that. Thank fuck we dont follow idiots like Bono Or Chris Martin. Strummer? Ok, some of you like him (liked, he's croaked) so i wont bag him too much. I am on a promise to be good about dead wanker rockers, so i wont digress.

Can i add one thing? Punk was bullshit. Simply "inserted" to sell t-shirts, and the spotty, dissafected bought it all. I was ripe for it all, and saw the scam. It's so fucking laughable now. To see some clips from 76-77 is just fucking hilarious. Frankie Howard hilarious. NO NO NO - Dick Emery hilarious. It's hilarious to watch no talent cretins, with bad teeth, look so threatening. As if any pasty face Pommy could be threatening! hahaha. The English - ya gotta love 'em.

Or feel sorry for them.

I thank you.
February 4th, 2006 11:07 AM
glencar Now that was a necessary post. And what the hell, slag away at dead rockers.
February 4th, 2006 12:26 PM
purrcafe
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

True, but today are about as anti-establishment as The Queen.

Yeah, but that's pretty much inevitable.
February 4th, 2006 08:38 PM
MrPleasant What's often forgotten is that rock stars, all of them, are stupid. Zappa was assholish at times, deliberately or not, and some of the stuff he wrote is irredeemable. Townshend was a selfish drunk. And Bob: you say be free, love life, but tell me, is it true you beat your wife? They're all a bunch of egomaniacs, all of 'em.

Especially when they're dead. Like Brian Wilson.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
February 4th, 2006 11:00 PM
Gazza
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>maybe Jon Bon Jovi,Chuck Berry,Bob Dylan,Ted Nugent and a few others.<

If anyone ever puts Bob Dylan in the same sentence with Bon Jovi and Ted Nugent again, in any context what-so-ever....I will hunt you down and castrate you without the benefit of local anesthetic.

and I will bury your balls after he's finished
February 5th, 2006 12:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot >As if any pasty face Pommy could be threatening! hahaha. The English - ya gotta love 'em.<

Well, this statement assumes that punk was an English thing.

Whatever.

I won't disagree that punk became part of the marketing machine. But there were those of us that never bought a tshirt, wore a mohawk, or stuck a saftey pin through our cheek. We knew what the REAL movement was all about...DIY, Do It Yourself. Three chords and a hail of fury.

Some of us STILL live that ethos.

So piss off. *insert flying loogie here* **insert whatever other punk cliche you want to insert here**
February 5th, 2006 01:46 PM
MrPleasant Another thing though: who cares if the Ramones are punk or not? They wrote perfect melodies. (The Clash too, at times, when they weren't masturbating, which happened a lot, BELIEVE ME.) The rest is mental uniformity.

Who am I talking to?
February 5th, 2006 01:52 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I find it mind boggling that anyone would actually come to the defense of a jerk that bad mouthed Joe Strummer.

doesn't take much does it?

Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)