ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA - February 8, 2006
© Kimberly Smith!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: IS WOODY PLAYING BADLY? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
February 2nd, 2006 04:08 AM
Jumacfly [quote]rough-justice wrote:

Dont get me wrong if i had to pick 5 top guitarists it would be:
MICK RONSON, RONNIE WOOD, KEITH RICHARDS,DAVE GILMOUR, HENDRIX

Rory Gallagher for the feeling...
Ronnie has been vampirised by the Glimmer Twins, period.
February 2nd, 2006 05:01 AM
albert I am sorry to say, but any guitar player on this board (and there quit a few around) knows that Ronnie only has great moments, but overall it ain't good enough.

During the VL and Licks tour his guitar was almost not turned up, only during some solo's. ABB tour he is still more fooling around than playing a good concert. Even some solo's he should/could dream he manages to screw up.

His best period with the Stones was 75 - 82. But if you wanna hear Ronnie really on fire: listen to the live lp's/cd's from RS & The Faces.

Dont get me wrong: I'll always be a great Stones fan and I love Keith and Ron, but as a guitar player myself, I regonise it when things are not played good or as meant to be. I truly think/believe they can do a much better job, even this tour.
But, lets be glad and amazed that this band can still put a venue 'on fire" like they only can!!

Albert
Holland
February 2nd, 2006 02:08 PM
ExileInLA he plays the same damn thing night in and night out. how about the way he fucks up JJF? He plays the damn outro riff THE WHOLE FUCKING SONG. What gives? It takes away from the power of the song.
February 2nd, 2006 02:55 PM
Jumping Jack Do any of you whiners realize 90% of the reviews are very positive? Are you clueless or only feel good about yourself when you sh*t on others?
February 2nd, 2006 02:59 PM
jb As a long time Woody basher(or lets say a Mick Taylor lover), I think Woody has played exceptionally well this tour. He has really come through at the shows I have attended. Yes, he clowns and poises at times(much like Keith), but he is playing loud and hard....which makes up for any missed chords.
February 2nd, 2006 03:04 PM
Jumping Jack JB is never wrong!!!
February 2nd, 2006 03:04 PM
erikjjf
quote:
jb wrote:
As a long time Woody basher(or lets say a Mick Taylor lover), I think Woody has played exceptionally well this tour. He has really come through at the shows I have attended. Yes, he clowns and poises at times(much like Keith), but he is playing loud and hard....which makes up for any missed chords.

Word!
February 2nd, 2006 03:06 PM
jb My unborn child is causing me to miss several key shows!!!!
[Edited by jb]
February 2nd, 2006 03:12 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:
As a long time Woody basher(or lets say a Mick Taylor lover), I think Woody has played exceptionally well this tour. He has really come through at the shows I have attended. Yes, he clowns and poises at times(much like Keith), but he is playing loud and hard....which makes up for any missed chords.

My thinking too, Joshy. He seems to be more "into it" this time around.
February 2nd, 2006 03:18 PM
Jumping Jack 1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. IORR
3. Let's Spend the Night Together
4. It Won’t Take Long
5. Jigsaw Puzzle
6. Sweet Virginia
7. All Down The Line
8. Midnight Rambler
9. Gimme Shelter
10. This Place Is Empty
11. Happy
12. Miss You
13. Respectable
14. GOMC
15. HTW
16. SFTD
17. Tumblin' Dice
18. Start Me Up
19. Brown Sugar
20. YCAGWYW
21. Satisfaction
February 2nd, 2006 03:21 PM
glencar Wrong thread?
February 2nd, 2006 03:29 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. IORR
3. Let's Spend the Night Together
4. It Won’t Take Long
5. Jigsaw Puzzle
6. Sweet Virginia
7. All Down The Line
8. Midnight Rambler
9. Gimme Shelter
10. This Place Is Empty
11. Happy
12. Miss You
13. Respectable
14. GOMC
15. HTW
16. SFTD
17. Tumblin' Dice
18. Start Me Up
19. Brown Sugar
20. YCAGWYW
21. Satisfaction

Is this the official list of songs that Ronnie has forgotten how to play?
February 2nd, 2006 04:05 PM
Jumping Jack It's the official list of what JB and Glencar will be missing next Wednesday.

On the other hand, you negative wankers are missing the fun of the entire tour. Hey, your loss! How sad to only find amusement angrily crapping on others anonomously on a website.
February 2nd, 2006 04:12 PM
Honky Tonk Man I've only heard one full show from this tour and I have come to the conclusion that Mr Wood is indeed, not up to scratch. It really is very puzzling. He's reportedly off the booze, he's doesn't have that constant cloud of smoke around his eyes anymore and unless I'm mistaken, he doesn’t suffer from arthritis or any other ailment. With those things in mind, I find it impossible to fathom out what the guy’s problem is. As others here have stated, he’s constantly out of tune and cocks up constantly, BUT WHY? Until the great man sheds some light, it'll be a mystery forever more.
February 2nd, 2006 04:17 PM
glencar
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
It's the official list of what JB and Glencar will be missing next Wednesday.

On the other hand, you negative wankers are missing the fun of the entire tour. Hey, your loss! How sad to only find amusement angrily crapping on others anonomously on a website.

Jack, I'd be there but I can't take more time off work. If it had been a Thursday, I'd be there. I hope you have a great time regardless of what the wankers write.
February 2nd, 2006 04:18 PM
Ramrod Ronnie Wood has been a very good guitarist in the past. The 'Hotter than Hell' film footage of the '75 tour proves that he could cut it when he joined The Stones. I also enjoyed his work with The Faces and with Rod Stewart; I think he has contributed some good guitar and bass playing to all The Stones albums during his time with them. He obviously is a talented man who at his best can be capable of greatness.

But this is the key to the whole discussion. 'At his best' was definitely not what he was the night I saw them at the Superdome in Sydney on the Forty Licks tour. He was simply not that functional as a guitar player. As I say, he was only contributing sporadically and Blondie Chaplin was having to play along in the background to fill things out.

Maybe some nights when he is 'on' he stills plays great, maybe the next night if he is not 'on' he doesn't play that well. I couldn't tell you; I don't live in either America or Europe and when we do get a Stones tour here in Australia it's like the proverbial manna from heaven and we take whatever we're given. I just hope he is 'on' when they do their tour here.
February 2nd, 2006 04:22 PM
jb I think Keith takes a lot out of him .....if he does step up, Keith's insecurities(see taylor force out) come through.
February 2nd, 2006 04:27 PM
MidnightRambler Videos like "Gimme Shelter" and "Midnight Rambler" from RS.COM show that Ronnie can still do it. Ronnie hasn't forgotten anything. He knows these songs better than anyone in the band. On that "Midnight Rambler" video he pulls out licks and riff that refer to the original "Rambler" recording.
[Edited by MidnightRambler]
February 2nd, 2006 04:29 PM
jb MT had some great riffs on MR...(see L&G)
February 2nd, 2006 04:46 PM
Joey

" Stones Is Stones ........... Bigger than ALL of us ! "

February 2nd, 2006 04:47 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

" Stones Is Stones ........... Bigger than ALL of us ! "

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-petcem30.html
February 2nd, 2006 04:49 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-petcem30.html

http://www.independentartistscompany.com/artist.aspx?ID=22887

February 2nd, 2006 04:51 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

http://www.independentartistscompany.com/artist.aspx?ID=22887

Pete looks like my Uncle Elliot!!!!!
February 2nd, 2006 04:55 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

Pete looks like my Uncle Elliot!!!!!

February 2nd, 2006 09:38 PM
kath you mean uncle ernie?
February 2nd, 2006 10:49 PM
Zack
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
But it does piss me off when I'm paying $350 to have him wave at me!

Now THAT's funny!

(I'll wave at you for $250, no problem!)
February 2nd, 2006 11:00 PM
Barney Fife Neither Ronnie nor Keith can play worth a shit when they try it left-handed!!

February 3rd, 2006 10:30 AM
ExileInLA
quote:
jb wrote:
I think Keith takes a lot out of him .....if he does step up, Keith's insecurities(see taylor force out) come through.

well thats exactly what Keith AND the band need. The Mick Taylor years weren't so bad were they?
February 3rd, 2006 10:33 AM
ExileInLA
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
Neither Ronnie nor Keith can play worth a shit when they try it left-handed!!

before the 2005 tour when did they both switch? i have only heard shows after they've been taped. haven't seen any.
February 3rd, 2006 10:42 AM
egon damn, i never noticed that before!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)