ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA - February 8, 2006
© Kimberly Smith!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: IS WOODY PLAYING BADLY? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 31st, 2006 03:13 PM
rough-justice I am yet to hear audio or visual content from this tour.
But some are saying Woody is playing great others say no?

Is this just a grudge or is he playing badly??
January 31st, 2006 03:24 PM
star star i think its really "each to their own" in the case of woody and his guitaring. theres always hot debate about his playing (shite, average, not mick taylor etc!) but from the sway boot ive heard his solo was heavily distorted yet you could still hear him buggering up string bends etc...
January 31st, 2006 04:15 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
rough-justice wrote:
I am yet to hear any audio or visual content from this tour.

basically you've already heard 85% of what he plays each night.
January 31st, 2006 04:28 PM
RollingstonesUSA I saw them twice this tour, one show he was great, the next, awful....

January 31st, 2006 05:36 PM
pdog Woody goes from great to awful during one show...
January 31st, 2006 06:18 PM
texile
quote:
pdog wrote:
Woody goes from great to awful during one show...

yep,
he's always been like that...
it ain't alcohol - it's laziness.
January 31st, 2006 06:46 PM
Soldatti He's like the song, Good Times/Shows, Bad Times/Shows.
January 31st, 2006 11:33 PM
kath the licks tour was woody's tour, i think. he was great.

i've only seen one show this time, and he was mugging a lot and kinda fuckin' off. i really resent it when he does that, he did it all the way through the bridges to babylon tour and no security.

woody is an incredibly talented musician. granted he cannot play sway and can't you hear my knockin' like mick taylor, but mick taylor can't play the multitude of instruments that woody can.

but he generally seems lazy and silly and not interested most of the time. it's a shame that blondie has to stand back there and fill in so much...
February 1st, 2006 03:29 AM
Child of the Moon I agree, kath. When I saw Licks in Tacoma, Woody was ON. And he was like that for the majority of the shows. I think his good nights overshadowed his bad nights, especially when compared to the Bridges and Security tours.

I saw them in Portland this year, and I have to say that I honestly can't remember much of what Woody did. He was a non-entity. I know he still has the skill and know-how to play well - look at any of his CYHMK? solos from the last tour. But not only is laziness doing him in, I think it'salso all those years on the sauce that might've bogged down his playing. It's probably the same with Keith, too. Hell, the last time Keith played consistently well? Bridges to Babylon, MAYBE. It has to be the booze, or at least that has a lot to do with it.

That said, I still think Ronnie is a fucking great guitarist, when he puts his mind to it. I listen to his recordings with the Faces and wonder, "Why doesn't the bastard play like that any more?" I think he's still got it in him, but three things are holding him back:

1. The years of substance abuse.

2. He's getting a bit lazy, for whatever reason(s).

3. This is the Rolling Stones, and when you're in the Rolling Stones, you play second fiddle to Keith Richards. Which is a shame, because Keith barely plays his fucking guitar any more. Guess it's just another dream that's slipping away...
February 1st, 2006 05:42 AM
Ramrod I've only seen The Stones twice as they don't tour Australia that often.

The first time I saw them was in '95 at Randwick at the cricket ground in Sydney on their Voodoo Lounge tour and Keith was playing absolutely great, driving the band and providing that 'Rolling Stones' sound, very close to the record with many of his sounds. Woody was kept in a supporting role and while not outstanding he did a good job of his few solos and played rhythm guitar to complement that of Keith's. It was my first Stones gig and exceeded my expectations. Jagger was excellent, Charlie super and Bobby Keyes sounded just like the albums. Best gig I've ever seen.

The second time I saw them was on their Forty Licks tour and this time they were at the Superdome at Homebush Bay in Sydney. Even though I'd seen them the first time about 7 or 8 years before, the previous performance was still fresh in my mind, right down to which guitars Keith used for which songs, so I was primed.

But this time Keith played about half as much guitar as he did before, tending to leave big spaces between some of his chord stabs in some songs, and not driving the rhythm with the same energy at all like the first time I saw them.

But Ronnie Wood... he laughed, he pointed, he grinned, he leant on Darryl Jones's shoulder, he threw guitar picks into the crowd. Pity he didn't actually play his guitar very much. In fact during Midnight Rambler all he did was lean on the wammy bar here and there. Nothing else. During Satisfaction he hardly even strummed, only sometimes. And it went on and on all night, Ronnie and his silly grins and not a lot of actual guitar playing. In fact neither Keith nor Ronnie's guitar sounds were near as good at this show as the first time I saw them. (Excepting a TV yellow Les Paul Junior which Keith used this time on Rambler. Best guitar sound all night.) Mick and Charlie were great, with Chuck ok ....but The Stones having to have Blondie Chaplin playing back up guitar?...this they did.

I felt embarrassed. This sort of guitar non-participation... isn't this what they kicked Brian Jones out for?
February 1st, 2006 05:50 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Ramrod wrote:

I felt embarrassed. This sort of guitar non-participation... isn't this what they kicked Brian Jones out for?

Good point.

the chemistry between guitar has clearly gone, and the fact Blondie now plays on several songs is something very strange.
I got to say I m also very pissed of by the tambourine and percussions that spoils most of Charlie's great cymbals playing.take Tumblign dice for example, don't need that stupid tambourine.

Sadly it s not 1981 anymore.It s not just Ronnie, Keith's way of playing has turned into something different too.

If Mick reads this, your guitarists need a major kick in their lazy ass!!
February 1st, 2006 06:07 AM
Jumping Jack Watch Woodie on Rambler in the 1-18 MSG DVD and please report back.

Lazy, perhaps. Impaired lung capacity from years of smoking leading to fatigue on stage, perhaps. Can he still play well when he applies himself. ABSOLUTELY!!!
February 1st, 2006 06:38 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Watch Woodie on Rambler in the 1-18 MSG DVD and please report back.

Lazy, perhaps. Impaired lung capacity from years of smoking leading to fatigue on stage, perhaps. Can he still play well when he applies himself. ABSOLUTELY!!!

I agree. and Four Flicks version of Rambler proove they can do it...sometimes.
But we only refer to one song, always the same: MR.
February 1st, 2006 09:19 AM
Shawn20 Ronnie appears to have a great time on stage. Is it his lack of playing or the low volume in the mix?
February 1st, 2006 09:21 AM
RollingstonesUSA

February 1st, 2006 09:26 AM
Nellcote I've been witness to Woody playing since front row
Providence Civic Center, Faces 30 years ago this month, most recently Bahston Gahden Jan 15 06.
While Woody won't sizzle you like Jeff Beck, dazzle you like Hendrix, give you speed like EVH, he is one talented
musician.
We all have off/on nights, I've been fortunate to have seen more on than off of one Ronald Wood.
Love to see anyone attempt to play as good with Keith Richards, which is an art form in itself.
February 1st, 2006 10:34 AM
gimmekeef I love Woody and have admired his talent for years too....But it does piss me off when I'm paying $350 to have him wave at me!...These days when he's on he still is only at about 75% of what I remember him in 75...when he was trying to prove himself...His decline can also be attributed to his low profile on ABB..sadly he doesnt bring much to the party anymore.I wish it was otherwise...but....there will be no lineup changes at this stage and I just hope he gets it on for the Bowl and Atlanta next week! ps ...(watch the Bowl...there will be no songs requiring a Ronnie extended lead....thats the bet of the day)
February 1st, 2006 10:46 AM
Nellcote Things change in all of us Keef, you will see, as you get older.
It was a Lane/Wood song which had the immortal line..
"I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger"
February 1st, 2006 11:11 AM
gimmekeef Nellcote.....I agree...been with the Stones since beginning..I'm in my mid 50's now....Its a slippery slope...I dont rty to beat up Woody or the rest for that matter....I'll attend next week in Atlanta...just hopin for one more magic night....Thankfull for the priviledge..Its been a helluva ride!!!!!!!(more concerned about my Steelers now though..they're in tough)lol
February 1st, 2006 11:22 AM
Nellcote The Steel Curtain will prevail, have no fear.
We were all looking forward to the AFC playoff
at The Razor, however, it was not to be.
The Steelers did what only The Pats before them
did, win three playoff games on the road.
I'm finding myself a Steeler fan for Sunday, despite
the fact Hasslebeck & Tatupu grew up one town away from my home...
February 1st, 2006 11:50 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
watch the Bowl...there will be no songs requiring a Ronnie extended lead....thats the bet of the day)

I think that's right. The "Start Me Up" solo will be long enough. I'll be shocked if he moves out of the 10th position on the fretboard!
February 1st, 2006 11:59 AM
chevysales
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I've been witness to Woody playing since front row
Providence Civic Center, Faces 30 years ago this month, most recently Bahston Gahden Jan 15 06.
While Woody won't sizzle you like Jeff Beck, dazzle you like Hendrix, give you speed like EVH, he is one talented
musician.
We all have off/on nights, I've been fortunate to have seen more on than off of one Ronald Wood.
Love to see anyone attempt to play as good with Keith Richards, which is an art form in itself.

bingo!
we have a winner.
totally agree.
February 1st, 2006 12:01 PM
chevysales
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
The Steel Curtain will prevail, have no fear.
We were all looking forward to the AFC playoff
at The Razor, however, it was not to be.
The Steelers did what only The Pats before them
did, win three playoff games on the road.
I'm finding myself a Steeler fan for Sunday, despite
the fact Hasslebeck & Tatupu grew up one town away from my home...

actually my pats friend 6 teams have done it before... but only the steelers have done it from the 6th seed.
February 1st, 2006 12:20 PM
Nellcote Chevy, please provide detail.
Pats beat your Phins in '85 to become the 1st
playoff team to win 3 road games
This was celebrated in Foxboro on 01/01/06
I would think that The Pats knew what they were
celebrating, no?
February 1st, 2006 12:27 PM
gimmekeef Steelers are 6th seed in name only.Played 4 games w/o Big Ben..and more importantly left tackle Smith missed 5 games and they started a third round rookie.But Seattles tough...
February 1st, 2006 06:10 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Watch Woodie on Rambler in the 1-18 MSG DVD and please report back.

Is it on the tracker? Ive checked twice and dont see it!
February 1st, 2006 11:59 PM
speedfreakjive Was he that good on Licks?
The show I saw, and Four Flicks shows Ronnie was maybe on it on this tour. But Keith always is, and was the better guitarist IMO.
February 2nd, 2006 12:47 AM
T&A I'm a big Ronnie fan - I root like hell for the guy. But, his ardent supporters must truly be in denial...that's about I can come up with. I'm a realist - and I haven't honestly heard a lead that has truly impressed me from the man in almost 20 years now. He's lost it forever, folks. Sad Sad Sad.
February 2nd, 2006 02:42 AM
rough-justice
quote:
T&A wrote:
I'm a big Ronnie fan - I root like hell for the guy. But, his ardent supporters must truly be in denial...that's about I can come up with. I'm a realist - and I haven't honestly heard a lead that has truly impressed me from the man in almost 20 years now. He's lost it forever, folks. Sad Sad Sad.

T&A - The thing is no he aint lost it at all! Thats the friggin problem (U cant say its boredom,)It has to be the drugs/drink has anyone seen the dvd 50 years of the fender strat??? David Gilmour comes on ( A perfectionist to say the least) I thought well woody you'd fuckin wanna give to em!! He comes out with a fuckin accoustic playin Oh La La
cant hear a note he's playin the singing is terrible!

Dont get me wrong if i had to pick 5 top guitarists it would be:
MICK RONSON, RONNIE WOOD, KEITH RICHARDS,DAVE GILMOUR, HENDRIX

And to hear him play the solo in Hendrix Little Wing live with the Corrs (Its amazing)
that aint 20 years ago, maybe 3. Maybe the Stones need to give the guy room to move (to get the best from him) dont know!

He's one of the best and thats why I critizise him so much
He has the best job in the world!!
February 2nd, 2006 04:07 AM
Mathijs I don't actually understand how people can refer to the Licks Tour as Wood's tour, or that he was a good player or anything like that. Wood's playing on the Licks Tour was horrible, especially on the Euro leg of the tour. Remember his solo's on Don't Stop, Can't You HMK, Hand of Fate, Worried? Remember his of key playing in Wild Horses, YCAGWYW? Unfortunately, his playing on this tour is even worse. While he did try on the Licks tour (Can't You HMK was bad, but at least he tried), this tour he isn't even trying anymore. Did he play ONE solo on Tumbling Dice in tune? In fact, did he play ANY solo in tune and without terrible feedback? Even his slides, normally his best, sound weak and unfocussed.

Look, I am the biggest Wood fan around. I gave said it many time: my favourite Stones period is from 1975 to 1985. I prefer the Wood years over the Taylor years. But Wood just has lost it completely. When he was drinking he was too drunk, on the Licks Tour he was smoking to much weed and snorting too much coke, and on this tour he apperently is sober, but his brain seems fryed.

Mathijs
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)