ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA - February 8, 2006
© Kimberly Smith!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ATPTB at Super Bowl w/guests Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
February 1st, 2006 03:10 AM
CraigP Like Saint Sway and Lethargy said...The Stones should cut the crap and "rock" or "rawk" (whichever you prefer).

I hope to hell that there are no guests or ATPTB cover. If any guests: Eddie Vedder (a true Stones fan and patriot, great voice and songwriter). If any covers... maybe an old blues. Anything but that awful song!
You can say I'm a non-Stones fan or "beginner" or whatever but you're full of it. The I hear more Chuck Berry in the band than Urethra Fwankwin. Maybe HE should guest.
February 1st, 2006 03:24 AM
maumau
quote:
CraigP wrote:
Like Saint Sway and Lethargy said...The Stones should cut the crap and "rock" or "rawk" (whichever you prefer).

I hope to hell that there are no guests or ATPTB cover. If any guests: Eddie Vedder (a true Stones fan and patriot, great voice and songwriter). If any covers... maybe an old blues. Anything but that awful song!
You can say I'm a non-Stones fan or "beginner" or whatever but you're full of it. The I hear more Chuck Berry in the band than Urethra Fwankwin. Maybe HE should guest.

well, Aaron Neville is not only a stones fan, he is also a true friend of them
Chuck Berry, of course
then listen to most of the other songs in their first 3 albums
"Urethra Fwankwin" > have you ever listen to her? or your ears allow only Men's vocals (voices, lyrics) to "rock" your brain?
SHE is one of the greatest voices in American music history and deserve respect exspecially from a stones fan
February 1st, 2006 04:07 AM
wisertime
quote:
CraigP wrote:
Like Saint Sway and Lethargy said...The Stones should cut the crap and "rock" or "rawk" (whichever you prefer).

Agree too !! I don't like R'N'B covers the Stones made last years. I'd prefer a good blues song (not "back Of My Hand" please ).
February 1st, 2006 04:58 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
maumau wrote:

what is satisfaction if not a perfect rewriting of a soul tune where horns are originally replaced with a riffing guitar?

quite right maumau - tho i do recall reading an i/view with keith where he said the idea he had in mind for satisfaction was a martha reeves and the vandellas (i.e. motown) type feel with (as you say) horns punching out the riff - it's also accpeted myth that keith didn't think much of satisfaction as it was released for that reason - the famous fuzz tone riff was, in his mind, just a sketch of what he wanted the horns to be doing
February 1st, 2006 05:01 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
CraigP wrote:
. If any guests: Eddie Vedder (a true Stones fan and patriot, great voice and songwriter).

ROTFLMMFAO

and what's "patriot" got to do with any of it??

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
February 1st, 2006 05:46 AM
maumau
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

quite right maumau - tho i do recall reading an i/view with keith where he said the idea he had in mind for satisfaction was a martha reeves and the vandellas (i.e. motown) type feel with (as you say) horns punching out the riff - it's also accpeted myth that keith didn't think much of satisfaction as it was released for that reason - the famous fuzz tone riff was, in his mind, just a sketch of what he wanted the horns to be doing

right, and i bet you can find similar stories behind many early numbers
stones have different kind of roots. the motown root is a big one. period.
February 1st, 2006 07:03 AM
glencar It's amazing to see Aretha Franklin reduced to one of her body parts.
February 1st, 2006 07:21 AM
padre
quote:
maumau wrote:
this last comparison between the tribute of mick singing verses of mustang sally during satisfaction and the mixing of angie with sth, tells a lot about how narrow can be a "stones fan" insight in the music of his/her beloved band

No , I'm not narrow minded about music, but Mustang Sally really has a reputation similar to Stairway, Freebird and Smoke On The Water among players. It was a good tune originally but has been overplayed way too many times. I've read about bars which have a "No Mustang Sally" sign on a wall on jam nights.
The tune is not that bad, it's just been played more than enough.
February 1st, 2006 07:36 AM
lotsajizz this is a good thing

February 1st, 2006 07:42 AM
Nellcote glencar wrote:

"It's amazing to see Aretha Franklin reduced to one of her body parts."

Consider the source of the comment.
February 1st, 2006 07:49 AM
glencar Indeed. And I wonder who strated this silly thread?
February 1st, 2006 08:18 AM
Gazza
quote:
padre wrote:

No , I'm not narrow minded about music, but Mustang Sally really has a reputation similar to Stairway, Freebird and Smoke On The Water among players. It was a good tune originally but has been overplayed way too many times. I've read about bars which have a "No Mustang Sally" sign on a wall on jam nights.

well, as its a Stax song and not a Motown song, I think you can rest assured it wont get an airing in Detroit. They only added it to 'satisfaction' as a nod to the recently deceased Wilson Pickett anyway, which at the time was an undeniably nice touch
February 1st, 2006 08:27 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
to craig P and gimmekeef:

1. Aretha is not Motown

2. Motown is not shite (in my, and a lot of others', opinion)

I'm well aware of what Motown is.I have every record cut by every Motown act and I love it...Just dont want it mixed in some half assed tribute with the Stones lookin like a lounge act......Thanks for the unneccessary lecture.
February 1st, 2006 08:44 AM
padre
quote:
Gazza wrote:
well, as its a Stax song and not a Motown song, I think you can rest assured it wont get an airing in Detroit. They only added it to 'satisfaction' as a nod to the recently deceased Wilson Pickett anyway, which at the time was an undeniably nice touch

I hope they won't develope a habit of nodding to deceased artists in their sets. I don't think it's ever been a Stones thing to pick a recently gone well-known artist and ride with that for some cheap applauses. And I hope it won't become one.
The Stones version was good, but I would've felt better if they'd done Night Time, when Ray Charles was still alive. And before the Ray-movie. They don't need to nod for anybody, they're The Stones, man! Let the other ones nod for Stones.
I wonder which Johnny Cash song will be in the Stones set...
February 1st, 2006 08:44 AM
maumau
quote:
padre wrote:

though gazza has already answered
i must add that i could care less of the reputation of a good song "among players"

mick paid a deserved tribute to the author adding some verses of an overplayed classic to another overplayed classic. and that was damn right.
February 1st, 2006 09:00 AM
maumau
quote:
padre wrote:

I don't get what is your problem here

same point as yours here were made right after opening night (what is, 4 months ago?) and many predicted a showcase of "each-night/town-its-own-tribute-song". Those predictions have already been proved wrong.

Night Time is not (only) a tribute to the dead genius but (more) a substitute for GS in the setlist as the song-spot for Lisa
Get Up Stand Up, since Bob has been dead for a while now and there's no biomovie around, i guess is just a good reggae/singalong number

so i don't see any nodding habit being developed here

moreover ATPTB is second on IORR tracklist, isn't it?
February 1st, 2006 12:40 PM
Saint Sway I hope this gets nixed by Sunday.

I like the song ATPTB and I'm all for a Motown cover at a Stones concert. But this isnt going to come off as Motown, its gonna come off as VEGAS!

just a big, bloated Vegas style production. With oldies guests and dancing girls.

A typical Vegas family act running thru the Motown medley section of the show. I think its actually a rule for Vegas lounge performers.

Then they're gonna follow it up with Mick singing Rain Fall Down in a gold or pink glitter jacket.

its gonna be Vegas. And they're gonna look out of touch and foolish.

go ahead and flame me but I think its a horrible way for them to represent themselves in front of a million viewers.
February 1st, 2006 01:18 PM
FPM C10 Just appearing in this stupid thing at ALL puts them in the Aerosmith/Britney bracket. I always thought they were above this sort of crap. I don't really know WHY I thought that, because they've been whores without a shred of integrity for decades.

My problem with ATPTB is that it's one of their all-time lousiest covers. I'd rather hear them doing their whitebread version of "My Girl". At least that would be funny.
February 1st, 2006 01:52 PM
padre
quote:
maumau wrote:
moreover ATPTB is second on IORR tracklist, isn't it?

Got no problem with that. A great tune and a great version on IORR and live. I'd be glad to hear it on Superbowl.
February 1st, 2006 02:35 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

I'm well aware of what Motown is.I have every record cut by every Motown act and I love it...Just dont want it mixed in some half assed tribute with the Stones lookin like a lounge act......Thanks for the unneccessary lecture.

that wasn't a lecture - it was a four word sentence!!

and your original post suggested the distinction needed to be made

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
February 1st, 2006 03:49 PM
mrhipfl I hate how a lot of people think here that the only band that matters are the stones and that no band should have the right to join the stones on the stage. I would be pissed off too if the guests were fake musicians like say, Britney Spears, but true motown stars like Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, the Jackson 5 are great musicians who feel the music, have soul and understand what music is about, which is to bring the audience the greates level of energy imaginable and to have a great time and achieve harmony through their voices and instruments. The stones would be priveleged to have people like thhose join them on stage. I am excited and am looking forward to the show.
[Edited by mrhipfl]
February 1st, 2006 04:14 PM
Gazza Aretha will be singing the National Anthem, from what I've heard
February 1st, 2006 04:15 PM
FPM C10 I didn't bother looking this up, but I'm pretty sure that Aretha and James were never on Motown. Stevie and the J5 were...but I don't know what that has to do with anything. I think most people here are just looking to see how big a trainwreck this is going to be. Just playing there at ALL is one of the straws that broke MY back - but I'm sure before it's all said and done, they'll make it worse.

It has NOTHING to do with who we think is worthy of sharing the stage with them...although I would gladly send you a list.
February 1st, 2006 04:30 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
padre wrote:

I hope they won't develope a habit of nodding to deceased artists in their sets. I don't think it's ever been a Stones thing to pick a recently gone well-known artist and ride with that for some cheap applauses. And I hope it won't become one.
The Stones version was good, but I would've felt better if they'd done Night Time, when Ray Charles was still alive. And before the Ray-movie. They don't need to nod for anybody, they're The Stones, man! Let the other ones nod for Stones.

yeah who would want the stones to pay RESPECT to the people they grew up listening to...

They have favorite artists and influences as well you know..

February 1st, 2006 04:43 PM
glencar Any estimates when this will be broadcast? I have to work that night & I'd like to record this on DVD...
February 1st, 2006 05:26 PM
Nellcote 620P start
1/2 time should be between 8P-9P I'd rekon...
February 1st, 2006 05:28 PM
glencar Thanks. I will also tape it on VHS natch...
February 1st, 2006 05:41 PM
Gazza
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I didn't bother looking this up, but I'm pretty sure that Aretha and James were never on Motown.

correct, they werent

Aretha was signed for Columbia by John Hammond (who discovered a few other decent artists like Billie Holiday, Count Basie, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen) before going to Atlantic, where she did her best work with Jerry Wexler. Her main link with Detroit is that she grew up there and lived in that area for much of her life (she was actually born in Memphis)

James Brown's classic 60's recordings were with King records and occasionally on Smash. He was never on Motown and has no significant link with Detroit.
February 1st, 2006 06:37 PM
Soldatti I can't stand ATPTB actually, I skip the song when I'm hearing IORR.
February 1st, 2006 08:23 PM
chevysales well tonight on "entertainment tonight" cbs aretha the queen of soul herself was asked what she thought about the rolling stones doing the halftime show... her answer was that here in motown with all the artists who put out all this music for so many years you would think they could find 1 artist amoung them to do the halftime show.

she clearly was miffed that the halftime didn't go to someone from motown. not to share it with stones.

me i would love to see atptb.

on another note i heard on a radio show today supposedly stones doing photoshoot friday with penthouse. this came from a miami sports station 790the ticket talking to a national writer who was boasting how he is going to be there
[Edited by chevysales]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)