ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tonight 2 years ago - Closing the North American leg
MGM Grand - Las Vegas, Nevada - February 8, 2003
© Roooooooster celebrating the NY Eve of the Rooster! ...in Red!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: passed on U2 Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 31st, 2005 02:35 PM
doo doo doo Dude Wanting to see every major rock act at least once in my life, I went and saw U2 in San Diego on their last tour and came away very impressed. They seemed passionate and professional and put on a good rock show. Granted I'm not a huge fan of them, but it's hard not to be familiar with their music even though Bono seems totally pretentious, at least I thought, they could deliver the goods.

So when the new album came out I was indifferent, especially after hearing their shitty first single Vertigo and reading mixed reviews of the new album. So about 9:30 am yesterday, I open up the paper and see tickets are going on sale in a half an hour for a show at the Staples Center in April. Ok, I thought, they were pretty good last time around, might as well humor myself an go online to see if I can score tix to this "hot show".

Well lo and behold, I guess I was one of the lucky few who got through and am offered by Ticketmaster 2 pretty decent seats on the lowere level. Cool, I thought. But then I saw the price....$171.00!!!....for just 1 ticket!!! Wha-wha-wha-What!!! The total after all the fees for 2 tickets came out to $380.00

Fuck that!!! I immediatly closed my browser, shut down my computer and finished my coffee. I'm not paying nearly $400 for 2 tickets to see those pompous Irish assholes. You can now put me in the "U2 is lame" column from now on. I pity the fools who see this tour.
January 31st, 2005 02:41 PM
Joey " Fuck that!!! I immediatly closed my browser, shut down my computer and finished my coffee. I'm not paying nearly $400 for 2 tickets to see those pompous Irish assholes. You can now put me in the "U2 is lame" column from now on. I pity the fools who see this tour. "

You make Joey sad .

Bono now has a " voice " that he hasn't had for decades .
January 31st, 2005 02:44 PM
Dan I was "in line" on Ticketmaster online for over 15 mins before being offered a single behind the stage in the upper deck for the 2nd Pond show. Just as well as I had no intention of going, I just wanted a GA floor to use as leverage in the off chance Stones tix are on sale by then or in the more likely chance Ozzfest tix are on sale by then.
I loved the Zoo TV gig I saw but I thought even that was overpriced at $35.
January 31st, 2005 02:52 PM
Angiegirl Here they charge the same price in Amsterdam stadium as the Stones did in 2003 (70 euro field, excl. booking fee of about 6 euro), and why wouldn't they? For the vast majority of people they fall in the same category of large well known acts don't they?

I have no desire to see U2, saw them in '93 and thought it was ok, but that's it.
January 31st, 2005 02:58 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
Joey wrote:
You make Joey sad .

Bono now has a " voice " that he hasn't had for decades .

Sorry, Joe. But methinks that U2 has finally "turned the corner" on being relevant. It's over.
January 31st, 2005 03:13 PM
Factory Girl Hello Dude,

I'm seeing Kings of Leon in a club for $15/ticket. KOL are opening for U2 on some North America dates. I think you should check out KOL instead.
January 31st, 2005 03:33 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Hello Dude,

I'm seeing Kings of Leon in a club for $15/ticket. KOL are opening for U2 on some North America dates. I think you should check out KOL instead.

Thanks FG. Can you believe that KOL just played at the Roxy here in Hollywood over the weekend and I couldn't score tickets. They are opening for U2 at the Staples but as you know, the prices for that show are extremly cost prohibitive. Hopefully KOL makes another swing accross the west coast and I'm on my toes when they go on sale.
January 31st, 2005 03:36 PM
glencar I haven't even checked if tix are available. I hope to see them at MSG. I've never seen them before.
January 31st, 2005 03:47 PM
glencar Will they be palying at that Ohamadomarama place?
January 31st, 2005 03:50 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Will they be palying at that Ohamadomarama place?

{{{{ ? }}}}

Blue ............................

Now you have an excuse to come and visit your young Joey this fall when the band U2 performs at our brand spanking new , state - of - the - art , twenty thousand seat , QWEST CENTER ARENA !!!!
January 31st, 2005 03:55 PM
glencar Joey, I might do it. Do they have any airport service out there or do I fly into Denver & drive north?
January 31st, 2005 04:16 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joey, I might do it. Do they have any airport service out there or do I fly into Denver & drive north?

********** BLANK STARE *************

http://www.johnnycarson.com/
January 31st, 2005 04:17 PM
glencar I heard a report about Norfolk this morn on NPR. Johnny was indeed loved. I think his kind will never reurn once David Letterman dies too.
January 31st, 2005 04:23 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I heard a report about Norfolk this morn on NPR. Johnny was indeed loved. I think his kind will never reurn once David Letterman dies too.

David Letterman has returned from St.Barts and is planning a very special Tribute to Johnny Carson this evening -- Doc Severinsen is one of many guests .

Will you be watching / crying along with me ?!?!

Sniffy !
January 31st, 2005 04:24 PM
glencar Sadly, I have to work tonight. I'm taping "Deadwood" on HBO so I cain't see how I'll get to see Letterman's tribute. Leno's was so pedestrian it made me sleepy. Letterman is the new king of late night.
January 31st, 2005 04:25 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Sadly, I have to work tonight. I'm taping "Deadwood" on HBO so I cain't see how I'll get to see Letterman's tribute. Leno's was so pedestrian it made me sleepy. Letterman is the new king of late night.

I may cry like little baby this evening ( say ..........around 11:00 PM CDT ! )
January 31st, 2005 04:28 PM
glencar Will Ronnie Wood show up?
January 31st, 2005 04:31 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Will Ronnie Wood show up?

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/show_info/index.shtml
January 31st, 2005 04:33 PM
glencar I shall ahve to tape it. Let's hope "Deadwood" is repeated later this week. Gotta go check HBO.com.
January 31st, 2005 06:12 PM
Snappy McJack I think you made a wise choice. Although I do not think the Stones look any better charging ridiculous prices for a 1-1/2 to 2 hour rock n' roll show, I'd rather save the cash for something else. Maybe you could save up another $300 and add it to your saved cash for one upper-deck seat to the next Stones tour.

Floor Seats: $3,000
Lower Bowl: $1,500
Upper Deck: $700
Behind the Stage: $400
Under Stage, while being attacked by rabid beavers: $250
Tongue Blinkie-Thing: $100
Tongue Coffee Mug w/o handle: $79.99 (w/ handle, $86.98)
"Live Licks" Litograph: 1,000 Pesos
Rolling Stones "We're Back...Again" t-shirt: 444 Euros
New album, Forty Licks: Part Deux: 2 Yen

Seeing the Rolling Stones play "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Brown Sugar," "Start Me Up," "Gimme Shelter," "Sympathy For the Devil," and "Happy" again, and again, and again -- and again: Priceless (but is it?)

{v}

[Edited by Snappy McJack]
January 31st, 2005 06:21 PM
charlotte I have seen U2 twice...good show but I will pass this time around (providing they even come to Charlotte,NC) plus I have to pay $500 to get a cracked tooth fixed Tuesday and that's with fucking insurance!!
January 31st, 2005 06:39 PM
M.O.W.A.T. I saw U2 on the Joshua Tree tour. To me, that was the band at it's best (although I do like Achtung Baby but not much after this -- Beautiful Day is a great tune but not much else on this album impressed me same with Atomic Bomb). Back in '87, I paid $50 CDN for general admission (got within 20 feet of the stage at Montreal's Olympic Stadium -- if anyone has ever been there, like during an Expos game, you know how huge this place is) and this included a bus trip. Won't be going to see them this time around though -- next concert on the horizon is Motley Crue and then it's saving time for the Stones.
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
January 31st, 2005 07:24 PM
Dan
quote:
charlotte wrote:
I have seen U2 twice...good show but I will pass this time around (providing they even come to Charlotte,NC) plus I have to pay $500 to get a cracked tooth fixed Tuesday and that's with fucking insurance!!

OUCH. I have a cracked wisdom tooth I have been ignoring for about a year now. Well, now its just a stump as one of the pieces broke off a few months ago.
January 31st, 2005 09:01 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
I think you made a wise choice. Although I do not think the Stones look any better charging ridiculous prices for a 1-1/2 to 2 hour rock n' roll show, I'd rather save the cash for something else. Maybe you could save up another $300 and add it to your saved cash for one upper-deck seat to the next Stones tour.

Floor Seats: $3,000
Lower Bowl: $1,500
Upper Deck: $700
Behind the Stage: $400
Under Stage, while being attacked by rabid beavers: $250
Tongue Blinkie-Thing: $100
Tongue Coffee Mug w/o handle: $79.99 (w/ handle, $86.98)
"Live Licks" Litograph: 1,000 Pesos
Rolling Stones "We're Back...Again" t-shirt: 444 Euros
New album, Forty Licks: Part Deux: 2 Yen

Seeing the Rolling Stones play "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Brown Sugar," "Start Me Up," "Gimme Shelter," "Sympathy For the Devil," and "Happy" again, and again, and again -- and again: Priceless (but is it?)

LOL!
February 1st, 2005 07:25 AM
Factory Girl Charlotte, If your tooth doesn't bother you, then don't bother it. Dentists are worse then used-car salesmen.
February 1st, 2005 08:41 AM
UGot2Rollme I've seen them on every tour since War and they've always been worth it. However, I think Bomb is a Bomb in the worst sense of the word, so this indeed might be the beginning of their descent (I thought Pop was, but they kicked ass on their last tour).... so, I will try to score some tix to their Zurich show (last venue the Stones played in Europe) and hope for the best.
February 1st, 2005 09:22 AM
Joey
quote:
charlotte wrote:
I have seen U2 twice...good show but I will pass this time around (providing they even come to Charlotte,NC) plus I have to pay $500 to get a cracked tooth fixed Tuesday and that's with fucking insurance!!

I might pass on the Stones this time around ...........
February 1st, 2005 09:43 AM
charlotte *************WTF****************

come to Papa... Joey
February 1st, 2005 10:08 AM
Joey
quote:
charlotte wrote:
*************WTF****************

come to Papa... Joey

I was just teasing Charlotte .
( Rocks Off Member )
February 1st, 2005 10:29 AM
charlotte
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood