ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tonight 2 years ago - Closing the North American leg
MGM Grand - Las Vegas, Nevada - February 8, 2003
© Roooooooster celebrating the NY Eve of the Rooster! ...in Red!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Who's Tommy to become most expensive animation Return to archive
January 30th, 2005 02:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels THE WHO'S TOMMY TO BECOME MOST EXPENSIVE ANIMATION

THE WHO's celebrated rock-opera TOMMY is to become the most expensive animated movie of all time.

GREASE producer ROBERT STIGWOOD plans to turn the 1975 PETE TOWNSHEND movie into a $400 million (GBP210 million) cartoon, which is tipped to feature the voices of singers ROBBIE WILLIAMS and BONO.

Stigwood, 70, says, "Pete Townshend is right behind this.

"It will feature the biggest names in the music industry. The original movie costs $3-4 million but this will cost $300-400 million.

"If you are going to do it, you've got to do it right."

Contact Music
30/01/2005 14:14

January 30th, 2005 03:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I have Tommy in several sources and formats:

The original group version
The LSO with special guests version
The soundtrack of the film
The group performing it live (entirely and partialy in many formtas and audio quality)
The movie in beta, VHS and DVD

I saw them performing it live on stage
I saw the NYC Broadway Theatre version in 1994

...and now a cartoon movie LOL well... I will get it even with Bono the twat and Robbie the loser
[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
January 30th, 2005 07:11 PM
lady stardust that sounds pretty cool althought i can't see the need for another movie since the original was so good but the movie industry seems to be really into doing remakes lately it seems.
January 30th, 2005 07:19 PM
kath why doesn't roger daltry do it??

this could be really good or really bad.....
January 30th, 2005 08:47 PM
rolling who God I love The Who. More power to 'em. I don't even care if Pete continues to sell his catalog to every corporate entity imaginable and if their songs are on every commercial on TV. He deserves it. The Who's records never sold as much as the Stones (somewhat deservedly), Zeppelin, Floyd, and even for a while Tull, Yes and other mid-70s prog rockers. Yet they were far superior to all of these bands except the Stones. So, if Pete wants to make a little money by ho-ing his songs out to Cadillac or "CSI Miami" or whatever, and if he wants to put 'Tommy' and 'Quad' on Broadway and make a cartoon movie out of 'Thomas,' I say go for it!!!
January 30th, 2005 09:15 PM
kath i love peter townsend. he's a goddamn genius.
January 31st, 2005 10:35 AM
Joey
quote:
rolling who wrote:
God I love The Who. More power to 'em. I don't even care if Pete continues to sell his catalog to every corporate entity imaginable and if their songs are on every commercial on TV. He deserves it.

RollingWho .....................................

You are much loved by The Joey !!!!!!

THE WHO have ALWAYS BEEN the most exciting band to see in concert and are a much better LIVE ACT than any other group out there , including the Stones ( ...just ask anyone who posts here on this most prodigious of message boards -- they will GLADLY agree with my statement !!! )

The only artist/group in history who successfully followed THE WHO on stage was Hendrix in Monterrey , 1967 and he had to set his guitar on fire in order to accomplish THAT one !

Word !

JACKY !

[ Edited by Jacky ]

[Edited by Joey]
January 31st, 2005 11:30 AM
gimmekeef Love the Who to death...but I for one would not invest that kinda cash into a project on a 1970's theme in todays market....Unless you had Tittney Spears and Enema or perhaps Poop Doggy then maybe it would sell..........(yuck)
January 31st, 2005 11:47 AM
Joey " Love the Who to death "

<-------- Gimmekeef ...........................Come To Joey !!!!!
January 31st, 2005 12:04 PM
Jumping Jack Joey is a dang genius, but he needs more fiber in his diet.
January 31st, 2005 12:05 PM
rolling who
quote:
Joey wrote:

RollingWho .....................................

You are much loved by The Joey !!!!!!

THE WHO have ALWAYS BEEN the most exciting band to see in concert and are a much better LIVE ACT than any other group out there , including the Stones ( ...just ask anyone who posts here on this most prodigious of message boards -- they will GLADLY agree with my statement !!! )

The only artist/group in history who successfully followed THE WHO on stage was Hendrix in Monterrey , 1967 and he had to set his guitar on fire in order to do accomplish THAT one !

Word !

JACKY !

[ Edited by Jacky ]
[Edited by Joey]

I totally agree with this, as 'The Rolling Stones Rock 'n Roll Circus' accurately portrays. Although I must say, I saw The Who in Mansfield, Mass. in 2000 and they were clearly off their game. At one point, Pete began the intro to "Pinball Wizard" then stopped just after Rog started singing, pissed off that something was wrong. Then they started it all over again. Never had seen that in a major concert before. Rog also forgot some words to "5:15."

But this, of course, wasn't the REAL Who. The REAL Who was the monster act that roamed the earth from 1965-1978 (and I'll even include the '79 tour with Kenney Jones).
January 31st, 2005 02:14 PM
Joey
quote:
rolling who wrote:

I totally agree with this, as 'The Rolling Stones Rock 'n Roll Circus' accurately portrays. Although I must say, I saw The Who in Mansfield, Mass. in 2000 and they were clearly off their game. At one point, Pete began the intro to "Pinball Wizard" then stopped just after Rog started singing, pissed off that something was wrong. Then they started it all over again. Never had seen that in a major concert before. Rog also forgot some words to "5:15."

But this, of course, wasn't the REAL Who. The REAL Who was the monster act that roamed the earth from 1965-1978 (and I'll even include the '79 tour with Kenney Jones).

The 2000 Tour was far from perfect as Pete reluctantly fired up THE WHO BEAST once again in order to save John Entwistle from going to prison for Tax Evasion .

I have seen DVD's ( Chicago Amphitheatre , December 1979 is just one of many out there ) of that 1979 - 1980 Tour and THE WHO ROCKED with Kenny on Drums !!!!!!!!! The real problems came whilst recording Face Dances in the fall / winter of 1980 / 1981 when they all realized that it was impossible to chart new territory on vinyl ( " You Better / You Bet " and " Tricky Day " being the exception ) .

W- W- W- What ?!?!?! ...........Oh , sure ! :

" Roger talks to The Guardian
The Guardian published an interview/article with Roger called "Who's Back" (by Dave Simpson, Jan 28, 2005). Details of Who activity that surface in the article include:

"... since December they have been holed up in Townshend's London studio, working on the first album of new Who material since 1982. Fans will be intrigued at the revelation that the pair are bickering just like they did in the old days. 'Let's just say we don't please each other all the time,' says Daltrey."

and that he and Pete "already have two songs down for the new Who album. One is about Beslan, another about the redemptive power of music. And that, he beams, is 'classic Townshend'."

"Some will doubt whether Townshend and Daltrey on their own can really be the Who. ...Surprisingly, Daltrey agrees with the critics. Townshend is toying with calling them Who2; Daltrey, typically contrary, jokes about 'Who's Left'.
More seriously, he sees this as an attempt not to revive the Who, but develop it. ..."

http://www.kathyszaksite.com/who2005.html

[Edited by Joey]
January 31st, 2005 03:00 PM
Ten Thousand Motels [quote]gimmekeef wrote:
Love the Who to death...but I for one would not invest that kinda cash into a project on a 1970's theme in todays market....

That is an incredible amount of money, ($400,000,000), to produce any movie, say nothing about an animated one. Just to put it all in perspective I checked out some numbers. As far as I could tell, it cost Walt Disney about $500,000 to produce Snow White & the Seven Dwarves in 1937. As most everyone knows that was the first full length animated motion picture. He originally estimated $250,000 and had to borrow money to get it done. At any rate I wonder what this guy is thinking. He says he wants to "do it right", whatever that means.

Chicken Run (June 200) Production Cost 45,000,000
Marketing 44,000,000
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
January 31st, 2005 05:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
January 31st, 2005 05:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels

January 31st, 2005 05:08 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
January 31st, 2005 05:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels If this report is true AND if this guy can actually pull this off, I wonder if he can make his money back. It all seems too much hype and risk...for what its worth. ...these numbers are just too big to understand....much less pay for.
January 31st, 2005 08:55 PM
Soldatti I love the Who, live and in studio.
February 1st, 2005 03:17 AM
IanBillen
I cannot see how the hell they can spend 400 MILLION dollars on a cartoon??? Is that an accurate estimation? How could it be?

If this is correct, sadly, and although The Who are my second favorite band of all time, it will never be anywhere near to being any kind of success.

For a movie to get into the 300-400 million range for box-office sales is nothing short of fantastic.

This will need that much money to just break even.

With all due respect to The Who,
I just can't see it.

Ian
February 1st, 2005 09:21 AM
Joey " If this is correct, sadly, and although The Who are my second favorite band of all time, it will never be anywhere near to being any kind of success. "

<----- We must see " the glass as half full " and think positive ( like Iraq will NOT break out into civil war sometime in the near future .......)

Amen my " Rose Colored Glasses " little buddy !
February 2nd, 2005 05:12 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Joey wrote:
" If this is correct, sadly, and although The Who are my second favorite band of all time, it will never be anywhere near to being any kind of success. "

<----- We must see " the glass as half full " and think positive ( like Iraq will NOT break out into civil war sometime in the near future .......)

Amen my " Rose Colored Glasses " little buddy !

I do wish The remaining members of Who the very best. They have been troubled with financial issues and they really do not deserve these troubles. Bands that are not even close to their capacity have had more stable financial dealings and it seems unfair.
This always troubled me.

Ian
February 2nd, 2005 06:10 AM
bez85 Milk it for all it's worth Pete. Will you ever be able to lay this over rated project to rest?
February 2nd, 2005 12:38 PM
Jumping Jack Michael Jackson also loves Tommy and his new video (soon to be all over the Internet) will be to See Me, Feel Me. He is scheduling more plastic surgery and plans to change his name to Uncle Ernie.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood