ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tonight 2 years ago - Closing the North American leg
MGM Grand - Las Vegas, Nevada - February 8, 2003
© Roooooooster celebrating the NY Eve of the Rooster! ...in Red!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Traffic Drummer Jim Capaldi Dies (NSC) Return to archive
January 28th, 2005 01:39 PM
justinkurian Traffic Drummer Jim Capaldi Dies

Legendary rock drummer Jim Capaldi died today (Jan. 28) after a brief fight with stomach cancer, his publicist said.

The 60-year-old Capaldi, born in England of Italian immigrant parents, died in his sleep at the London Clinic in the early hours with his wife and family at his bedside.

Capaldi, whose driving rock rhythms and songwriting ability helped make groundbreaking band Traffic a household name in the 1960s and '70s with -- among others -- Steve Winwood and Dave Mason -- also had an illustrious solo career.

"Steve rang me when he heard this morning. He is very upset. They were very close and had plans to record and tour again. He was praying Jim would recover from his illness," Winwood's manager Mick Newton said.

Capaldi was inducted with Traffic last spring into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, just five months before being diagnosed with terminal cancer. A reunion tour was in the works but was scotched last August due to Capaldi suffering what at the time was described only as a "severe gastric ulcer."

When Traffic finally broke up in 1974 after releasing 11 albums, Capaldi busied himself with solo projects. Traffic eventually reformed to tour in 1993-94, and Capaldi toured in 1998 with fellow band founder Mason.
January 28th, 2005 01:45 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Holy shit!! I Was a big lover pf Traffic's music, in fact YESTERDAY I posted this message let's light us up each other or leave, and I remembered him YESTERDAY (see http://novogate.com/board/968/207897-4.html) because it was inspired by his song "light up or leave me alone"

January 28th, 2005 02:14 PM
J.J.Flash Sad.

I didn't know Capaldi too much, but I remember he played with Clapton too on that "Rainbow Concert", which also played Ronnie Wood and Pete Townshend.....
January 28th, 2005 02:23 PM
doo doo doo Dude Sad news. Had the good fortune to see them open for the Grateful Dead in '94. Always loved "the low spark of high heeled boys"
January 28th, 2005 02:41 PM
kath oh SHIT!!!!!!

that's really sad. i loved traffic.

dammit, he was a great drummer.

damn damn damn

what a drag it is watching them drop one by one....
January 28th, 2005 03:29 PM
telecaster Sad news

Bad couple of months for drummers
January 28th, 2005 03:52 PM
gimmekeef He was very good....sad news...times like this I always think how fortunate we are to be able to have our little complaints about new album quality and future ticket prices, or Chucks tinkling etc .Sure puts things in perspective.....and beats the hell out of the alternative!
January 28th, 2005 04:46 PM
Prodigal Son Wow, so much for Traffic. Winwood and Mason are alive but Chris Wood and now Capaldi. Not only that, but later short-term members Rick Grech and Reebop have also passed on. That's 4 out of 6 all-time members, dead. Plus, one-time second drummer Jim Gordon was a total drugged-up, boozy scitzo who killed his mother and is still serving his life sentence. It's like a rock version of the Temptations original lineup. Anyway, sad to see because Jim was one of the most underrated songwriting drummers ever. Of course, everyone has heard "Love Hurts." But his Traffic stuff was great too.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
January 28th, 2005 09:39 PM
time is on my side Really sad news. In their prime, they were one of my favorite bands (loved the song Dear Mr Fantasy & the albums John Barleycorn Must Die, Low Spark of High Heeled Boys among others). So sorry to hear this (last time I saw Capaldi was during that tour with Dave Mason mentioned in a previous post- they were suppose to perform together but Mason was late and did not show up until about 3:00 in the morning so they gave separate shows- they seemed pissed off at each other)
January 28th, 2005 10:03 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl While listening Jim Capaldi: Let The Thunder Cry: Deluxe Expanded Edition I scanned this great shot of Traffic defintively one of my top ten bands in the 60s/early 70s

January 28th, 2005 10:25 PM
Soldatti Very sad news...
January 29th, 2005 11:55 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl More here http://www.novogate.com/board/968/207989-1.html
January 30th, 2005 04:05 PM
claudiomoraleida hEY j. j.,

Do you know Jim's wife is brazilian ? Sad news !
January 30th, 2005 08:41 PM
rolling who And believe me, Dave Mason is barely alive. By some freak of nature, he's friendly with my brother because he's played some shows for Republicans in Ohio over the last few years (some Republican hot-shot is a huge Mason fan and has invited him to play at a few gigs). Mason is always fantastically drunk at these shows, usually plays 3 songs ("We Just Disagree," "Feelin' Alright" and "Only You Know and I Know") and spends the rest of the night slamming down vodka or just leaves.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood