ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tonight 2 years ago - Closing the North American leg
MGM Grand - Las Vegas, Nevada - February 8, 2003
© Roooooooster celebrating the NY Eve of the Rooster! ...in Red!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hubert Sumlin "& Friends"(?) or "& Friends"(!) Return to archive
January 28th, 2005 11:03 AM
Saint Sway so I saw that Hubert Sumlin is doing a show here in NY in early March.
Its listed as Hubert Sumlin & Friends. They list the great Levon Helm as playing on drums

I know this is right after his new cd comes out. And Keith plays on it.

what do you think are the chances of Keith sitting with Hubert that night?
January 28th, 2005 11:17 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
so I saw that Hubert Sumlin is doing a show here in NY in early March.
Its listed as Hubert Sumlin & Friends. They list the great Levon Helm as playing on drums

I know this is right after his new cd comes out. And Keith plays on it.

what do you think are the chances of Keith sitting with Hubert that night?

I'd say chances are pretty good, and the show will be worth it even if he's not. Is David Johansen singing? I saw Hubert in June, before his heart attack, and he had Levon, David Jo, and Jimmy Vivino (sp?) from Conan's band was the band leader. It was absolutely awesome. THAT was billed as "Howlin' For Hubert", but since this will be in conjunction with the new album of Muddy Waters songs that wouldn't be completely accurate.

Where is it?
January 28th, 2005 11:28 AM
Riffhard Man I am so there! That album is a killer! Keith's bass playing is incredible on that one tune whose name excapes me at the moment. I am definatly checking out this show! Can't wait.

Riffhard
January 28th, 2005 04:07 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Man I am so there! That album is a killer! Keith's bass playing is incredible on that one tune whose name excapes me at the moment. I am definatly checking out this show! Can't wait.

Riffhard

I propose this - and promise to abide by it - no mention of politics at the show. Because I just got tickets!!!!

It looks like our thread got pulled, and that's fine. We all agree to disagree and we don't understand each other's politics and all that. But we do agree on music and I can promise you that THIS is going to SMOKE, Keith or no Keith - but if Keith shows up LOOK THE FUCK OUT!!!!

BTW, it's billed as Hubert Sumlin, Levon Helm and David Johansen. It's the same band I saw in June, only they'll be doing Muddy Waters songs instead of (or alongside) Howlin' Wolf songs. I am soooo freaking excited - when Hubert had his heart attack I NEVER thought I'd see that line-up again! This is a godsend! And you KNOW if Keith's at home, he'll be there.

See you Mar 5, my friend! Anyone else going? Tix are only $30!!!!
January 28th, 2005 04:12 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

And you KNOW if Keith's at home, he'll be there.

hey thats what I'm hoping!!!

I'm going regardless. But I have extra incentive bc a friend of mine in the Crowes asked Keith to sit in with them in March and he said if he's in town, he'd play.

so heres to hoping that Keith is in NY/CT come March

cheers!
January 28th, 2005 04:19 PM
kath sounds like a great line up. jimmy whatshisname from the conan obrien show is verrry good.

keef'll be there i bet....
January 28th, 2005 04:32 PM
Riffhard
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

I propose this - and promise to abide by it - no mention of politics at the show. Because I just got tickets!!!!

It looks like our thread got pulled, and that's fine. We all agree to disagree and we don't understand each other's politics and all that. But we do agree on music and I can promise you that THIS is going to SMOKE, Keith or no Keith - but if Keith shows up LOOK THE FUCK OUT!!!!

BTW, it's billed as Hubert Sumlin, Levon Helm and David Johansen. It's the same band I saw in June, only they'll be doing Muddy Waters songs instead of (or alongside) Howlin' Wolf songs. I am soooo freaking excited - when Hubert had his heart attack I NEVER thought I'd see that line-up again! This is a godsend! And you KNOW if Keith's at home, he'll be there.

See you Mar 5, my friend! Anyone else going? Tix are only $30!!!!

You're on FPM! It will be nice to down some pints with you again! A guy that works at the radio station as actully been hanging with David Jo alot lately. They work together at Sirrius Radio in the city. He asked me go party in the city with them about two weeks ago,but unfortunatly I was otherwise engaged. Damn the luck! So I called my friend and asked him if he was planning on attending the show and he laughed and said,"Hell yes I'm gonna go! I was just gonna call you to see if you'd like to go as well!"

I am having visions of getting backstage and meeting Hubert and Co.. If Keith is there all the better. Right you are about that. If Keith is in the tri-state area he WILL show. As we get closer to the show date we ought to plan a little pre-show party.

Agreed. No politcs at the show!

Riffhard

PS-I have many liberal friends!

PSS-"excapes"-This is an example of speed typeing run amuck. I know how to spell,but for some reason....well,never mind. LOL!
[Edited by Riffhard]
January 28th, 2005 04:54 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

PS-I have many liberal friends!

I know! I'm one of them!
January 28th, 2005 05:04 PM
Riffhard
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

I know! I'm one of them!

True dat! Now you can proudly claim that you have a goosestepping neo-con republinazi as a friend too! LOL! j/k

Riffhard
January 28th, 2005 06:28 PM
Riffhard I just got off the phone with my friend about the show. I'm in! Comp tix and passes!!! Now I'm as excited as a thirteen year old school girl at a Ashley Simpson concert! I'm gonna get to meet these guys! My friend Keith said he talked to David Johansen on the phone yesterday,he's in Florida until next week apparently. Anyway Keith asked him if there was any likelyhood of Keith Richards showing up at the gig. He said that David just gave him a low gutteral laugh and said "stranger things have happened bro."

If Keef's in town he will definatly be there. Also,as it is NYC were talking about here,there is a very good chance of "several" special unannounced guests! That sounds very inticing to me.

Run,don't walk,to get these tickets. It will be a very special night no matter what,but it could be a very special night for sure!

Oh,happy day!

Riffhard
January 28th, 2005 10:11 PM
LadyJane Goddamn...I want to be there. What a line-up!! You guys are gonna have a fucking blast...and you MIGHT very well see Mr. Richards take the stage!!!!

I'm turning green with envy!!

LJ.

January 29th, 2005 09:35 AM
thejuf I interviewed Mr Sumlin last week on his work with Keith on his new album and the Stones in general.
More about this is to be published on the Forty Licks Fanclub website, very soon.

January 30th, 2005 11:21 AM
Martha I wanna go too! I got to see Hubert at the Fur Peace Ranch last April and besides getting to see him perform with Bob Margolin and the cool yet elusive Jorma K., we got to meet and greet with both Bob and then Hubert during their breaks.

Hubert is so sweet and nice and his hands feel like butter they are so soft. I took ahold of his hand and asked him how he was feeling when we chatted.....it was a very nice moment. One that I will NEVER forget. I so hope Keith shows up for you lucky fucks and if so who the hell is gonna be there to tape it??? Get on that Riffie and FPM! We want, .....no wait we NEED a soundboard! :-)

Lucky Fucks indeed.

:-)

peace out,
Martha
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood