ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tonight 2 years ago - Closing the North American leg
MGM Grand - Las Vegas, Nevada - February 8, 2003
© Roooooooster celebrating the NY Eve of the Rooster! ...in Red!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: CIRCUS DVD Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 25th, 2005 11:32 PM
BILL PERKS PICKED RNR CIRCUS DVD TODAY AND WHO DO I SEE DURING SALT OF THE EARTH? SPANISH TONY SANCHEZ RIGHT IN FRONT OF MICK,LOOKING VERY MUCH LIKE AUSTIN POWERS.VERY WELL DONE DVD, AT LEAST THE KLEINS ARE RELEASING SOMETHING FOR THE FANS.
January 26th, 2005 05:31 AM
corgi37 It IS him is it? I thought so since had the vhs. I got the dvd for xmas, and i thought "yeah, thats him". Mind you, after watching the damn thing 3 times (show, then all the commentaries) i am all circus-ed out!
January 26th, 2005 06:16 AM
mac_daddy i really have to pick this one up...
January 26th, 2005 06:26 AM
Bitch I love R&R Circus, especially Salt of the Earth, but who is TONY SANCHEZ??? Sorry I don't have a clue, but I'll look for him next time I watch it.
January 26th, 2005 06:41 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Bitch wrote:
I love R&R Circus, especially Salt of the Earth, but who is TONY SANCHEZ??? Sorry I don't have a clue, but I'll look for him next time I watch it.

http://www.demstore.com/scstore/Sanchez/

No, no, just kidding

Spanish Tony Sanchez was a drug dealer who used to hang around the Stones and Keith in particular like a parasite. Then he wrote a book about it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1857825268/qid=1106739642/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-7476382-7987660

One of literature's finest, under the exquisite title "I Was Keith Richards' Drug Dealer". Every book lover should get at least two signed copies.
January 26th, 2005 07:06 AM
padre Is the DVD worth getting if I have the VHS already. I mean, how many times have you really watched the extras that are missing from the VHS? I have noticed that the extras usually get watched once, and then it's the main feature which will be played more...
January 26th, 2005 07:25 AM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

http://www.demstore.com/scstore/Sanchez/

No, no, just kidding

Spanish Tony Sanchez was a drug dealer who used to hang around the Stones and Keith in particular like a parasite. Then he wrote a book about it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1857825268/qid=1106739642/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-7476382-7987660

One of literature's finest, under the exquisite title "I Was Keith Richards' Drug Dealer". Every book lover should get at least two signed copies.

That book seems to get reissued (often under a different title) to 'coincide' with every Stones tour. Its almost as blatant a cash-in as that crappy book by Philip Norman "The Stones" where he adds about a 4 page update covering the last decade every so often - and usually ends up adding more mistakes than he adds pages.

As for signed copies of Tony's book - he's been dead for a few years, so it could be difficult! Tony didnt really write it, it was pretty much "ghost written". Keith acknowledged that many of the stories in it were true but that "Tony can hardly write his own name", let alone write a book.
January 26th, 2005 07:51 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Gazza wrote:

That book seems to get reissued (often under a different title) to 'coincide' with every Stones tour. Its almost as blatant a cash-in as that crappy book by Philip Norman "The Stones" where he adds about a 4 page update covering the last decade every so often - and usually ends up adding more mistakes than he adds pages.

As for signed copies of Tony's book - he's been dead for a few years, so it could be difficult! Tony didnt really write it, it was pretty much "ghost written". Keith acknowledged that many of the stories in it were true but that "Tony can hardly write his own name", let alone write a book.

tony is dead?
January 26th, 2005 07:58 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

tony is dead?

yup.
January 26th, 2005 08:43 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I was being sarcastic and ironic Gazza
Serving as a drug dealer for someone and then writing a book about it or giving the licence to do it... well... That Tony Sanchez... Well... not agreeable.
January 26th, 2005 09:58 AM
Riffhard I was just watching this DVD last night and was struck all over again by how goddamned ferocious Keith Moon was while beating the shit out of his drum kit. I mean good god man! That guy just wails like an animal. Moon the Loon was also the only drummer that ever did the old stick twirling trick and made it look cool. He comes across like an old western gunslinger from the streets of Dodge City.

After watching the whole show again and again I'm tempted to believe that the true reason that it was not released was because of The Who's incredible performance. That had been the rumour for years,but was always denined by the Stones and their handlers. The Stones,afterall,did not go on until around 4 am. The Who's performance took place in the early afternoon the day before. So they were naturally more alert and "on". The Stones just seem totally wiped out and don't really get it together until midway through Parachute Woman. Brian is gone throughout the entire performance with the exception of his great slide work on No Expectations. Even the crowd is dead tired.

Another thing that jumped out at me was just how incredible Marianne looks on this show. Her performance is pretty good as well. What a body she had back in the day. Too bad her life took dramatic swing towards the gutter almost right after this show was done. She was a real icon of Swinging London and this DVD shows exactly why.

It's always fun to watch and shows me once again why I love this band so much. The idea of a show like this happening again is unthinkable. It truly is a snapshot in time,and as such is great at taking one back to that time. Even if you were too young to have actully been there.

That's my take anyway.

"Four stars,Ronnie!"

Riffhard
January 26th, 2005 10:00 AM
jb
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
PICKED RNR CIRCUS DVD TODAY AND WHO DO I SEE DURING SALT OF THE EARTH? SPANISH TONY SANCHEZ RIGHT IN FRONT OF MICK,LOOKING VERY MUCH LIKE AUSTIN POWERS.VERY WELL DONE DVD, AT LEAST THE KLEINS ARE RELEASING SOMETHING FOR THE FANS.

DVD sucked...fuck off!!!
January 26th, 2005 10:07 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
jb wrote:
DVD sucked...fuck off!!!

WHAT STOOD OUT TO ME WAS HOW GOOD AND ORIGINAL MICK REALLY IS(OR WAS).
January 26th, 2005 10:26 AM
rolling who [quote]Riffhard wrote:
I was just watching this DVD last night and was struck all over again by how goddamned ferocious Keith Moon was while beating the shit out of his drum kit. I mean good god man! That guy just wails like an animal. Moon the Loon was also the only drummer that ever did the old stick twirling trick and made it look cool. He comes across like an old western gunslinger from the streets of Dodge City.

After watching the whole show again and again I'm tempted to believe that the true reason that it was not released was because of The Who's incredible performance. That had been the rumour for years,but was always denined by the Stones and their handlers. The Stones,afterall,did not go on until around 4 am. The Who's performance took place in the early afternoon the day before. So they were naturally more alert and "on". The Stones just seem totally wiped out and don't really get it together until midway through Parachute Woman. Brian is gone throughout the entire performance with the exception of his great slide work on No Expectations. Even the crowd is dead tired.

Yup, The Who made the Stones (and everyone, for that matter) look old and tired at this show. There simply was never a more energetic, electric, exciting show in rock than The Who in their prime. Townshend's windmills and knee drops, Moon's stick twirling and insanity, Daltrey's mic twirling like a lariat, even Entwistle's nightengale-like harmony vocals ... all so perfect!!! And yes, folks, better LIVE than the Stones.
January 26th, 2005 10:28 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
jb wrote:
The Kleins are Jewish!!!!! YOu make me sick to my stomach!!1 I await your apology PERKS, and only then, may I consider opening up a dialogue with you.....
[Edited by jb]

JB DID YA CHECK OUT THE NO OSCAR FOR MICK PG 2?
January 26th, 2005 10:28 AM
jb
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

JB DID YA CHECK OUT THE NO OSCAR FOR MICK PG 2?

yes
January 26th, 2005 10:32 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
jb wrote:
DVD sucked...fuck off!!!

WTF Josh?!?!? Are you serious?!?
January 26th, 2005 10:35 AM
jb No..just kidding.
January 26th, 2005 10:39 AM
Joey
quote:
padre wrote:
Is the DVD worth getting if I have the VHS already. I mean, how many times have you really watched the extras that are missing from the VHS? I have noticed that the extras usually get watched once, and then it's the main feature which will be played more...

No , please do NOT buy the DVD if you already have this " event " on VHS .

DVD .... VHS ..... 8mm ......It don't matter : THE WHO upstage the ROLLING STONES every SINGLE TIME one views this concert.

" It happened again in NYC , 2001 Ronnie "

Sass !
January 26th, 2005 10:41 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
jb wrote:
No..just kidding.

January 26th, 2005 11:31 AM
lindazerr I bought the book Up and Down with the Rolling Stones when it
first came out in the 1970's. I have put it away and have to dig
it out, but I remember some of it. Anyway what happened to
Tony Sanchez? I did not know he had died. How did he die?
And when? Does anyone know? Am trying to decide it RNR
Circus is worth getting or not, I would get it just to see Brian Jones,
but if he is too spaced out and there is not much of him there, then
I say forget it. I heard the Who are great, and it took a very long
time to record the show. Thanks anyway.
January 26th, 2005 11:43 AM
glencar I think the Stones might have started off slowly but it's hard to recall the dull Who outdoing them. I just received it in today's mail & will have to view this one for myself.
January 26th, 2005 12:02 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think the Stones might have started off slowly but it's hard to recall the dull Who outdoing them. I just received it in today's mail & will have to view this one for myself.

Please fast forward to " A QUICK ONE WHILE HE'S AWAY " .

....Dinner at the " Rascal House " in on YOU !

Shecky !
January 26th, 2005 12:04 PM
jb Joey, on the dvd, Pete more or less admits how great the Stones , and Mick is in particular. He says the Who was simply happy to be there.....this does not in any way take away fro the Who's outstanding performance..............>
January 26th, 2005 12:11 PM
glencar Listen, Joseph. The Who were good in the 60's, no doubt. The current Two are not. But I've seen the video in the past & yes, the Stones start off kind of slow but then they end up with a bang. But it was years ago & I did just receive the DVD & I will watch it at some ppoint today & then YOU shall buy me din-din, you cheapskate!
January 26th, 2005 12:21 PM
Gazza
quote:
Joey wrote:

No , please do NOT buy the DVD if you already have this " event " on VHS .

DVD .... VHS ..... 8mm ......It don't matter : THE WHO upstage the ROLLING STONES every SINGLE TIME one views this concert.

" It happened again in NYC , 2001 Ronnie "

Sass !

Stones didnt play the 9/11 concert, Guiseppe. Mick did, with Keith as a last minute guest. Cant compare it to RNR Circus.

The Who were indeed momentous that night at MSG (although Daltrey's vocals were a bit patchy) but if it had been the Stones playing afterwards instead of Mick with a pick up band and Keef playing merely a cameo, the Garden would have been from that moment on be classified as an outdoor venue because the fucking roof would have come off.

Amen.
January 26th, 2005 12:24 PM
glencar A bit patchy? Cats around NYC were cutting their own throats!
January 26th, 2005 01:07 PM
FPM C10 The DVD is definitely worth having (even if you have it on VHS), especially if you listen to all of the commentary tracks(there are three different sets of commentary from about a dozen people altogether) and watch the Pete Townshend interview.

Bill Wyman, despite priding himself on being the band's historian, seems to think it took place during 1967 as he keeps referencing Satanic Majesties. He's also still harboring a grudge over KEITH playing bass in the Dirty Mac. What a spud he is.

You really learn a LOT about the Circus - for instance it was originally envisioned as a TOUR with the Stones and the Who and the Faces all playing in a circus tent and traveling by train.

The extra music is disappointing because I was hoping for more Stones. It's mostly Taj Mahal and he's just ok.

I sorta like the video for the remix of "Sympathy" - and if you watch it carefully you can see that some of the clips (Keith's guitar solo in particular) are taken from a different performance than the one in the main show.
January 26th, 2005 01:11 PM
jb HI FPM C10!!! Say hi to all my gassy friends!!!
January 26th, 2005 01:15 PM
glencar Did they ever put out The TAMI Show on DVD?
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood