ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tonight 2 years ago - Closing the North American leg
MGM Grand - Las Vegas, Nevada - February 8, 2003
© Roooooooster celebrating the NY Eve of the Rooster! ...in Red!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I have Kings Of Leon Tix! (NS) Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 28th, 2005 07:30 AM
Factory Girl Stonesy, I disagree. I think people will care-KOL is new and their talent is real.

January 28th, 2005 07:35 AM
Sir Stonesalot >KOL is new and their talent is real.<

Agreed. That is why no one will care. Especially at a U2 show.

January 28th, 2005 07:39 AM
Factory Girl Ok, lets make a wager. I predict this is will put them on the map with the US masses. You disagree. We'll check back after the U2 gig is up.

What would you like to wager?
January 28th, 2005 04:54 PM
Sir Stonesalot KOL are already "on the map", so to speak. They have already done all the late night talk shows, had features in Spin & RS, etc. Heck, most everyone here has at least heard of them, if not actually heard them. It looks as if a bunch of people have already seen live them as well.

So I take this to mean that you think that opening for U2 on some dates will make them really big? Like household name big? Albums go platinum big? If this is what you mean, then I'll take the bet. They are a rock n roll band. They play the wrong kind of music to get that big.

I will wager 5 of your fave candy bars. Not the minis either, the regular sized ones. Unless you want Zagnuts. I can't buy anything called Zagnut. Zagnuts are just wrong. So pick something besides Zagnuts.

And who is gonna remember about this bet? I mean, this could take YEARS to play out. And how will we know if it was the U2 tour that makes them into superduperstars?
January 29th, 2005 03:06 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Have you heard of the late Big Sugar?(Gordie Johnson's band)?

Big Sugar ROCK!

Gordie Johnson has been touring around playing bass in Rich Robinson's band this past year.

Gordie's a cool cat. And a very talented mofo. Great guitarist. Great singer. Great bassist. Great songwriter.

he's livin in Austin now and hes got a new band called "Grady" - its with the guys from SRVs Double Trouble. Grady is really good rock and roll/tex blues band. They are about to go out on tour.
January 29th, 2005 03:16 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>KOL is new and their talent is real.<

Agreed. That is why no one will care. Especially at a U2 show.

very true.

my brother has a great saying that he busts out anytime we see a new band that can kick some ass. He says: "They'll never make it. They have too much talent."

sad, but true.

theres plenty of good bands out there right now. But the record execs are too busy force feeding mounds of horse shit down the publics throats. Bands with talent and passion don't stand a chance in todays automatic plastic society of brainless sheep.

thats fine though, bc I can catch really cool bands in small venues. I almost dont like it when a band makes it big. I have no interest in seeing Wilco at the Garden, for example. Even though I love the band.

lots of good rootsy rock and roll bands out there now: Kings Of Leon, My Morning Jacket, Rich Robinson, Black Keys, Drive By Truckers, Yayhoos.... just to name a few.
January 29th, 2005 06:03 PM
edithgrove Never seen Kings of Leon before and If I've heard them on the radio I didn't know it was them, but I went to the House of Blues box office in New Orleans this morning and bought tix for the St. Paddy's day show. Hope I won't be disappointed.
January 29th, 2005 07:59 PM
polksalad69 I see they are playing the Metro here so I got my Hank III tickets today instead. The guy behind me got U2 tickets. Hey, are KOL opening for U2 also?

Also have a ticket for Al Escovedo/Jon Dee Graham next weekend, and tickets for two nights of Dave Alvin the following.
January 30th, 2005 12:36 PM
Factory Girl Ah, Stonesy, I didn't have candy bars in mind.

And lets set a deadline for the wager-end of the first leg of the U2 tour.
January 31st, 2005 10:25 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:
Also have a ticket for Al Escovedo/Jon Dee Graham next weekend

Alejandro Escovedo is great. Really talented alt.country singer songwriter.

hes recorded great versions of EVENING GOWN and SWAY!
January 31st, 2005 04:41 PM
Sir Stonesalot I like Alejandro well enough, but I prefer him in the True Believers with his brother. That was a kick ass band. Both of the True Believers albums have been released together on one disc. If you can find it, get it.
January 31st, 2005 10:24 PM
Make It Funky Saint.. Hey man, yeah Big Sugar was amazing in their heyday. I've seen them about as many times as the Black Crowes. Gordie's such a cool dude, yeah. I'm so glad you're up on this music! I was under the impression that he was living out in Alberta with his wife/baby? But in Austin eh? It makes sense actually.. How are Tommy and Chris doing anyways?? So are they playing places like Antones, Backyard, City Limits etc..?

I remember seeing Gordie come out to jam with them in Toronto, and they did a few tunes together, like Kinky Reggae for one.. If you musically rewind, you'll realize taht the Crowes stole that "Lickin'" toggle-switch trick from Gordie when they came out with it on LIONS. But its all teh same shit eh? I wouldn't be surprised if and when teh crowes go on tour, they might get Gordie to join them, if not open for them seperately. (kinda like Mark Knopfler did for Eric Clapton back in '88, then join him on stage subsequently). Didn't SRV do the same for Bob Plant around the same time, too? Or was it for Bowie? Hmm...

Cheers to the Black Crowes and their new live radio!!!
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood