ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tonight 2 years ago - Closing the North American leg
MGM Grand - Las Vegas, Nevada - February 8, 2003
© Roooooooster celebrating the NY Eve of the Rooster! ...in Red!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I have Kings Of Leon Tix! (NS) Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 24th, 2005 10:31 AM
Factory Girl They should be plenty good. I just saw them in Nov. 2004, and they were rather great!!
January 24th, 2005 10:45 AM
Angiegirl I'm jealous. Where are you going to see them?
January 24th, 2005 10:57 AM
Factory Girl Angie, I'm seeing them in Wash. DC on 2/26.
January 24th, 2005 11:34 AM
Saint Sway I'm seeing them next month in NYC - 2 shows

saw them in Nov in NY - they rawked hard

a few of my friends swear I partied with them a few years ago at Tobacco Road. Yet I have no recollection of that hazy night
January 24th, 2005 11:43 AM
glencar Are these guys like the Stones?
January 24th, 2005 11:45 AM
Joey

<---------Are these guys like the Stones?
January 24th, 2005 11:48 AM
glencar Please add to the conversation, Joey. That walking weed is "looking tired".
January 24th, 2005 11:49 AM
Zeeta
quote:
glencar wrote:
Are these guys like the Stones?

Yeah but they look weirder!

They do sound like The Stones and they are all brothers from the deep south!

Great tunes though and excellent live!
January 24th, 2005 11:49 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Please add to the conversation, Joey. That walking weed is "looking tired".

Blue .......................................

I am greatly saddened by the death of John William Carson ................he will be missed !

*** Sniff ! ***

Joey Carson
!
January 24th, 2005 11:53 AM
glencar Was William really his middle name? Joey, he lived a long easy life. Let him RIP & raise a glass in his honor tonight. I've gotta go check out Maxy's...
January 24th, 2005 12:09 PM
glencar Joey, I love Dirty Work. Yes, the packaging sucks & some of the production values "have been" but one can't deny the impeachability of the songcraft. Killer vocals & slashing guitars.
January 24th, 2005 12:09 PM
glencar But no, there's not much at Maxy today except how unoriginal you are. I am shocked at what I've read. I'm sure you aren't!
January 24th, 2005 12:10 PM
Factory Girl G-car, I'm happy to "introduce" you to KOL. But, check them out live in your area. Their first cd "Youth & Young Manhood" is just great.
January 24th, 2005 12:12 PM
glencar Yes, FG, send me one of their CD's if you can. I'm kinda getting a lotta Stones lately! it's great but one can't live on Stones alone.
January 24th, 2005 12:19 PM
Factory Girl What are your thoughts on U2's latest?

Do you like Alice In Chains or The Libertines?
January 24th, 2005 12:23 PM
glencar I liked AIC & I like what lil I've heard of Libertines. I have the new U2 & I find it somewhat drab. I need more rock in that roll.
January 24th, 2005 05:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
I need more rock in that roll.

try these...
www.richrobinson.net
www.powderfinger.com
www.kingsofleon.com

and... THEY'RE BAAAAAAACK!
www.blackcrowes.com

[Edited by Saint Sway]
January 24th, 2005 08:56 PM
Make It Funky Saint, dude, you always have the most exquisite taste in music... Crowes, PowderFinger, and now Kings of Leon!? You rock dude!!!!

Yeah.. Im totally groovin to these tunes... I can't recall who it is/was that made the post, perhaps you?? but oh man.. I can't get enough of the Kings of Leon!!!!

Red Morning Light!?!?!
The Bucket!?!?!
Spiral Staircase!?!?!
Wicker Chair!?!?!?
California Waiting!!?!?
Trani!?!?!?

Jesus... I think the Crowes and JET better have some back up ammunition on their forthcoming records, because, the Kings of Leon are ready to do a blitzkreig on our minds!!!!!

Cheers!
January 25th, 2005 07:27 AM
Factory Girl I don't like KOL 2nd cd-Aha Shake Heartbreak-its too mellow.

January 25th, 2005 09:30 PM
Make It Funky Factory Girl:

Hi.. I tried valiantly to get thruogh the Libertines music, and I felt it agonizing at best. It's too slick, too clean, too produced and too formulated. I'd be more inclined to see/listen to The Killers. Do you like the Irish band, the Thrills?? How 'bout Canada's own lesbian sisters, "Tegan & Sara"?

To make an analogy, the Kings of Leon are like fresh young OHL hockey players, where artists like the Stones are NHL hall of famers. The passion in K.O.L. is refreshing and lustful. I wish the Stones could recapture some of that recording-studio magic. (ofcourse they don't have to try any harder than NHL'ers cos' they've already "made it"). Its a shame.. but I'd say KOL would get the KO over Libertines.

Cheers love!
January 25th, 2005 10:48 PM
PolkSalad They anything like the Drive by Truckers?
January 26th, 2005 06:54 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
I'd be more inclined to see/listen to The Killers.

I didn't think The Killers were very good live, like Snow Patrol, Keane and maybe Franz Ferdinand a bit: bad sounding live sound imo.

FG: have fun in DC. I'm with you that KOL's first album is waaaaayyyy better!
January 26th, 2005 07:03 AM
Factory Girl Hello Make It Funky,

I think the Libertines are superb-they have great riffs and awesome, introspective lyrics. They pay homage to their heros(like Patti Smith) in The Boy Looked At Johnny. I think both of their cds are brilliant, but the first cd rocks harder. I saw the Libertines live (sans Pete) and they were GREAT!!!

Angiegirl, I'll post a review of the KOL show.
[Edited by Factory Girl]
January 26th, 2005 07:21 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
PolkSalad wrote:
They anything like the Drive by Truckers?

go see the truckers!

i will have to check out kings of leon. really havent given the libertines a listen (and i know that i should). i have heard most of the other bands mentioned in this thread on the radio, and i am not nuts about any of them...

and jet has got to be one of the most overrated acts in recent memory (except for the darkness - they take the cake in the overrated dept.)
January 26th, 2005 07:36 AM
Factory Girl I like Jet. I saw Jet live with the Vines.

The Vines sucked.
January 26th, 2005 10:09 PM
Make It Funky Factory Girl,

Hey, I hope the KOL are great in-concert for you - and am getting tix myself for the Toronto show. Looking forward to both the show and your review.

Jet is really good in-concert, I saw them in Gold Coast, Australia, and they did a killer version of Taj's "Ain't That A Lotta Love".

Have you heard of the late Big Sugar?(Gordie Johnson's band)? Or how 'bout Sam Roberts?? Do you like Ryan Adams? (or has this been covered already? haha)

Cheers mate.
January 27th, 2005 07:30 AM
Factory Girl Hello Funky,

I have not heard Big Sugar. I do not like Ryan Adams.

I thought Jet was so-so live. The Libertines are superb live.
January 27th, 2005 01:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot I'm with you FG, Aha Shake isn't up to the snuff of Y&YM. Still, you can hear a good band in there. A sophmore slump perhaps, or more likely, Y&YM was so good that they may not be able to get back there again.

January 27th, 2005 01:51 PM
Factory Girl Hey, SS-KOL is opening for U2 on some dates. This will introduce them to the US masses big time-I hope the masses dig them.
January 27th, 2005 04:11 PM
Sir Stonesalot Opening for U2 is like opening for the Stones....no one cares.

I'm giving KOL a miss this time. Already seen 'em....and for free at that! I prefer to leave it that way.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood