ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Staples Center, Los Ángeles, CA - February 6, 2003
By Fred Prouser/Reuters

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Phoenix show rocked! --review... Return to archive
02-01-03 06:57 PM
hearts4sale WHAT A GAS GAS GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 30, 2003 America West Arena, Phoenix, Arizona, USofA

We arrived in Phoenix right around noon and checked in our room early. Had the best room at the Hyatt Regency, if you want to call it that-the only one with a balcony and opening windows/doors. It also had a small sitting area and was directly off from the pool area. However, I would not recommend this hotel for the price. I think it still was overpriced. There were 2 other hotels within 1 (small) block away that were $27 cheaper (San Carlos and Crowne Plaza). After getting quickly settled in the room, my main wish was to walk over to the arena and scope things out for a hopeful early entry to see if the 'boys' were doing a rehearsal. Main plan was to sneak in somehow and act as a roadie (Nope. I haven't changed...I may be in my 40's but what the heck..). There were security guards at every entry. Good sign-I figured it meant they must've been inside. We walked around the back where the loading docks were, and started talking with a chiropractor that was going to try to get in that evening. Apparently it happens alot, mainly the roadies needing adjustments. At that point, a guy wearing a REALLY cool ID badge walked out of the loading area and asked if we knew where he could catch a cab. I immediately said, "We'll drive you anywhere for your badge!". He just kinda looked at me weird. Normal. Then the chiro told him around the block, at which point a cabbie drove right in front of us. As the guy w/ the REALLY COOL ID badge was walking away he looked at the chiro and said, "were you looking for Jake?" He replied no. Then he looked at us and asked, "were you guys looking for him"? SHIT---------------I friggin said NO like an idiot!!!!!!!!!!! --I froze... Jake is as in Jake Cohl, the producer of all the shows on this tour (at least I think so !!) I knew this and was planning on saying his name to people to see if we could get in, but I just froze up... I didn't have a planned come back if I said yes to the guy... I missed my big chance... was bummed, and went back to soak in the hot tub and have some beers. My husband, of course, thought my entire plan was totally absurd. I just kept telling him about all the things Lucy and Ethel were able to pull off...surely I should be able to pull something....(Actually, it turned out that, as Jonny Lang put it, "The Stones were nice enough to let me rehearse here instead of them today".) However apparently there were alot of Stones people in there setting the stage, etc. As far as I could tell, the Stones must've stayed at the Four Seasons, in Scottsdale.

We hung out by the pool and hot tub for an hour or 2, then met up with friends from Tucson. Had some cocktails in the room, then headed over to Alice Cooperstown, a restaurant and bar that is located directly across from the arena. We were very happy we got there when we did. It was packed! Since none of the tv's had any video coverage -or music- on of the Stones, I found the dj and requested something. He found the Bridges 2 Babylon video and put that on, which got the crowd roaring! yeahhh! Cooperstown is owned by, you guessed it, good ol Alice himself. Very good food, and all the waiters and waitresses are emblazened with black teardrops painted under their eyes, like Alice. No Alice sightings tho. (He lives in Phoenix).

We got in the arena around 7:15. Jonny Lang opened, a terrific blues player/singer that really kicks butt and put out his first album when he was only 15. He did a great set. We weren't extremely happy with our seats, second level which seemed too far away, however they were directly to the right of the stage which helped. It didn't help much tho...

And soooo, after 7 songs, I told my husband I was headed to the floor. Enroute I bought a beer ($8.50; at least it was a tall one). I headed through the curtains to section 102, which was directly below our section. A girl in front of me had 2 beers and I followed her. I just kept going. MADE IT FRONT ROW!!! I heard the end of Live with Me, and the entire Midnight Rambler.. UNFBELIEVABLE!!!! (By the way, gals, Mick is really short!). They rocked! Keith was in great form, he and Ronnie goofing around on stage, having a ball. Mick was his usual: careening from one end of the stage to the other, bouncing like he was younger than me (okokok, I HAVE to start working out this year....). Charlie kept the beat and smiled often. It was awesome to be that close. While I was there Keith must've thrown out at least 3 guitar picks, but all of them went way over my head. After about 5 minutes the couple I was next to told me politely I'd have to leave their seats -altho everyone was standing!, so that's when I made it to the front row. I stood next to a single guy who I don't think spoke any english, and just acted like I was with him. He didn't seem to mind. The crowd rocked and swayed along and the energy was phenemenol!!!!!!!! All the while, my husband had located me in the binoculars and was apparently routing for me, later saying he was thinking, "I taught her well"!!! hahahha (he's always getting into places free). Then they went into Tumbling Dice! Maaannnn..........the place was on fire! It was then I started feeling bad I wasn't with my husband, so I headed back up mid-song. Well, ok, I mean that's about when another security guard asked me, again very politely, to see my ticket! Ouutaa here..

Later, We headed down to the lower level and were about 10 rows from the stage. The couple we ended up next to were in their 20's and seemed to be on their first date. He was cute, said "I'm very sorry but if my friends come back, I'll have to ask you to leave". No problemo...I knew at this late in the game whoever had those 2 seats had probably found better ones! So, hubby and I had 10th row seats for the remainder of the show!!!! ))))

OH, and remember the guy with the REALLY COOL ID? Guess who it was allll night long that was in charge of HANDING the guitars to Keith Mick and Ron ?????????????????????? You guessed it.the guy outside earlier looking for a cab!....who knows what would've happened if only I'd said "Yeah, we are looking for Jake, is he here?".. (actually, I did say that, but the guy never heard me cause he was running after the cab......) Cie Le Vie.. my husband thought I was crazy still "Yeah, what do you think would've happened? you wouldn't have met them or anything!)....(actually, I am a part time journalist and could have written a short story for a local newspaper...damn...but I was just too wound up to be thinking straight!!!

FANTASTIC SHOW!!! The highlights were of course Midnight Rambler, where I was able to get first row for just the song!)), and Before They Make Me Run! All Down the Line!, great... But, as usual, it was over all too soon...booohooo. I wouldn't have missed it for anything tho! It was my 4th Stones concert, the first 2 having been at the Spectrum and Vet Stadium in Philly back in the early 80's. Or was it only once at the Vet? Or twice at the Vet?? -we all know 'bout the 70's and 80's...Third time was in '97 in Tempe at Sun Devil Stadium when we went to see them during the Bridges to Babylon Tour. That was an awesome concert too, (we were on the floor near the B stage) but it was nice to see them in an arena. Of course there were some songs I would have rather heard than others (could have done w/out Wild Horses since we heard that in '97), but what the heck, when a band has over 40 albums...how can/do they choose what to play???? also would have loved to hear Can't You Hear Me Knockin. Oh and lots of others, but wow, what a concert!!!!

The following day, we pretty much just went to bed afterwards. Checked out Cooperstown again but not much going on. It was definitely nice to not have to drive! We got up late and hit the pool again. We met Curt and his wife and another couple who had been there for the concert and he had a kick butt boom box by the pool and was playing stones stones and more stones! He yelled over, "You guys want a drink"?, while putting in an order, and I yelled back, "sure, if you're buying", he said sure so we ordered 2 margaritas! He is a lawyer/attorney who lives in Vegas and, as he put it: "I'm a lawyer, and then I travel around seeing the Stones wherever they play in the western states, and I drink beer". It was sooo funny! I told him I wish I could do that!! He's seen them in about 10 places so far this tour, and thought that the PHX show was one of the best, that in alot of the other shows they looked tired and didn't have as much energy. I think it's probably because it was so nice and warm and sunny out here!) Meeting Curt and hearing the Stones by the pool and getting the free drinks was a nice ending to a very eventful stay. We checked out at 1:30 and stayed at the pool til almost 3pm. Temp in Phoenix hit around 83. Whooo Hoooo!

I'd encourage everyone and anyone to see the Stones at least ONCE in their lifetime. these guys are phenemenal, and I don't care what anyone has to say about their age, they kick butt!!!! Now, I guess I have to go work out and buff up to keep up with Mick. hahahahhaha!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST