ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Staples Center, Los Ángeles, CA - February 6, 2003
By Fred Prouser/Reuters

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŃOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Iggy pop and the Stooges Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-31-03 12:59 PM
Zeeta So AC / DC got an ace response...how about these guys!?
Also on my walkman I had Raw Power..and I really WAS strutting to this shit man!
I've had it for a while but am really diggin' it badly now!
Scary SHIT, check out the vocals and guitars manBUT does the ROCKS OFF board acknowledge this!!??
01-31-03 01:03 PM
sasca I do. I got into them through Bowie. At first I was a bit disappointed - they didn´t sound as savage as I´d been led to believe, but slowly I became accustomed. (although I still think Iggy´s voice is too prominent.)
01-31-03 01:20 PM
Factory Girl Zeeta, Iggy is AWESOME!! With and without the Stooges. I've seen him live 5 times! Check out Lust for Life, Funhouse, The Idiot and his solo material.
01-31-03 01:24 PM
purrcafe Raw Power would be my desert island disc. The most ferocious album ever made. Also, check out Rubber Legs, which is a Stooges rehearsal for more of the same! Iggy is working on a couple of songs with the Asheton brothers for inclusion on his next album, but I was always more of a James Williamson fan!
01-31-03 01:29 PM
Factory Girl Purrcafe, is Iggy still on the Virgin label?
I heard "rumours" after his last cd "Beat'Em Up" that Virgin may drop him. That would be a damn shame.
01-31-03 01:37 PM
Zeeta Wow! people acknowledging unstones material!!
Stones are the CORNERSTONE but there is SO much more good shit out there!
Lets face it, we're on this board 'cos we like the Stones. So we can't just sit around all the time debating the shoe size of Keef, lets make a connection, turn eachother on and see what it leads to!
What is anyone else into? Bar the Stones obviously,
come on inspire me!
01-31-03 01:47 PM
Factory Girl I also like Alice In Chains, Johnny Winter, Frank Sinatra, Bee Gees, Patti Smith, Ramones, Black Crowes, Led Zep.

Very diverse stuff...
01-31-03 02:02 PM
sasca Air
Syd Barrett
Syd Barrett´s Pink Floyd (and some later)
Francoise Hardy
Serge Gainsbourg
Bowie
Bolan and T-Rex
Roxy Music
Bryan Ferry
Brian Eno (early)
Led Zeppelin
Who
Beatles
Kinks
Small Faces
Faces
Yardbirds
Animals
Pogues
Smiths
Iggy Pop
Iggy and the Stooges
Patti Smith
The New York Dolls
The Vevet Underground
Nico
Blondie
Stone Roses
Happy Mondays
Manic Street Preachers
Suede (ie.London Suede)
Tomorrow
Soft Machine (early)
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Dexy´s Midnight Runners
Clash
Daft Punk
BeeGees
Buzzcocks
Cockney Rebel
Sparks
Kraftwerk
Robert Johnson
Elmore James
The Sonic Reducers

I´m exploring Theodorakis, Hadjidakis et al. Somewhere between classical and pop.

Mussorgsky
Borodin
Poulenc
Stravinsky
Vivaldi
Mozart
Handel
Shostakovitch
Verdi
Wagner (but I can´t yet take a whole opera. My great-great-great-something-cousin or something)
Rossini
Thomas Campion
Robert Johnson (a different one; Elizabethan)

Ancient Greek music
Byzantine Music

[Edited by sasca]
01-31-03 02:25 PM
Cant Catch Me I have to admit I'm fond of Iggy (!!!) ... and his LPs with the Stooges set the tone for his solo work and a lot of later punk/hard rock. He's killer live. Even now he's an awesome performer, even if a lot of his recent records aren't quite up to par with his best from earlier.

Solo, the Idiot, Lust for Life and New Values are his best, I believe, and I also love Kill City, which transitioned him from the Stooges into a solo career. You can get Kill City on one CD paired with I'm Sick of You, which is Raw Power outtakes, all as good as the ones officially released but with often different words and titles. "Cock in My Pocket" and "Sick of You" are excellent. Of his later stuff, Brick by Brick was surprisingly good, in my opinion, but I'd recommend getting The Idiot, Lust for Life and New Values (now remastered w/bonuses!) first. Raw Power is now remastered too, by Iggy himself to restore the rough edges Bowie took off the first time.
01-31-03 02:27 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
purrcafe wrote:
Iggy is working on a couple of songs with the Asheton brothers for inclusion on his next album, but I was always more of a James Williamson fan!

No way dude! The Ashetons are the once and future Stoogisimos. Fun House is the pinnacle of stoogery and cannot be equalled!

01-31-03 02:32 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:

Solo, the Idiot, Lust for Life and New Values are his best, I believe, and I also love Kill City, which transitioned him from the Stooges into a solo career. You can get Kill City on one CD paired with I'm Sick of You, which is Raw Power outtakes, all as good as the ones officially released but with often different words and titles. "Cock in My Pocket" and "Sick of You" are excellent. Of his later stuff, Brick by Brick was surprisingly good, in my opinion, but I'd recommend getting The Idiot, Lust for Life and New Values (now remastered w/bonuses!) first. Raw Power is now remastered too, by Iggy himself to restore the rough edges Bowie took off the first time.

I like Brick By Brick myself -- that record is hilarious. Iggy's social commentary is right up there w/Sinclair Lewis. When you live in butt town, you've got to get down. For late period Iggy I think that American Ceasar is an underrated classic. If only for the line "Iggy you have got a biggie".

Ever heard that Stooges outtake "Wet My Bed"? I actually don't know if there's a studio version of it or not -- I've just heard it on those shitty sounding Bomp live records. What an awesome song!

01-31-03 02:51 PM
Factory Girl I just saw "Wet My Bed" on a 2 record set. I will get the set just for "Wet My Bed".

I'm partial to "Pumpin' for Jill" myself. Its on the re-released "Party" cd.
01-31-03 03:05 PM
Nasty Habits For me "Wet My Bed" utterly annihilates "Cock in My Pocket". The chorus just soars. I don't know "Pumpin' for Jill" off the top of my head. Is it as good as "Rich Bitch"?

Have you heard the complete Funhouse sessions box with the totally vulgar version of "Loose" and take after brilliant take of "Funhouse"?

"There's a place called Stooge Land . . ."

01-31-03 03:12 PM
purrcafe I don't know what Iggy's label status is these days. I guess it doesn't matter though. He'd almost be better off on Epitapth or a label like that. I know a whole bunch of Stooges fanatics that think I am nuts for my fondness of Williamson, but believe me, I love the Asheton stuff too. As far as great, lesser known songs, what about I Got Nothing, from Metallic KO. Way better than the Kill City version, I think! And yeah, Iggy is still an amazing live performer. One of the greatest in rock history. Has anybody read the new book about him, by Joe Ambrose, I believe?
01-31-03 03:20 PM
Factory Girl Pumpin for Jill-is very tongue in cheek. A polished song, if you will. Rich Bitch is an angry, rough song. The two songs are very different.

The Box Set-the Complete Funhouse Sessions?

Book about Iggy-thanks for telling me about. I'd like to read it.
01-31-03 03:36 PM
stonedinaustralia yes i'm well up for iggy - who hasn't , at some time in their lives, felt like the world's forgoten boy

raw power and kill city are my favs.

"shake appeal" is tops

nasty, i take your point re the ashetons but james williamson's guitar style is very much out of the keith riff-o-rama school and i like it!
01-31-03 04:06 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:

The Box Set-the Complete Funhouse Sessions?

Have you not heard it? It's like 8 CDs worth of Funhouse material - literally every take of every song. And since the "rules" for that session were to cut it live and make it sound like a Stooges show, that means there are like 16 complete takes of TV Eye on the ugly thing. IN A ROW!

For me, this is what the world ought to sound like, basically. Take after take of Down the Street and Loose coming at you for over nine hours, so you can really get into that Stoogespace.

Actually, it's kind of overkill, but if you haven't heard it, a quite marvelous alternate version of Fun House (or three) can be made from it.

I really have nothing against Williamson except that by most accounts he was a terrible influence on Iggy and hastened the demise of the Stooges. I do prefer Asheton's lumbering psychedelic Brontosaurian tones, but James certainly had speed (the drug and the velocity) on his side. Two very different guitar players.

There is actually a boot from a live show with both of them on guitar. If it didn't sound like such utter shit, it would probably be some kind of idiot six string nirvana.

01-31-03 04:13 PM
Factory Girl Complete Funhouse sessions-I've heard parts of it, not the entire thing.
01-31-03 05:11 PM
Cant Catch Me Check out this review of Kill City from All Music Guide, it ties Iggy's sound to his love for the Stones. Ya' can't get any better than Iggy AND the Stones! (And, my mistake earlier, Cock in My Pocket isn't on Kill City/I Got a Right, the title of which I had wrong too, it's on Metallic KO. I was thinking of "Tight Pants," and "Scene of Crime," man I love THAT song!)

Kill City helped bridge Iggy Pop's musical career from the drug-fueled and blazing rock of the Stooges (Raw Power, etc.) to the more arty (but just as influential and passionate) David Bowie-produced solo albums (The Idiot & Lust for Life). After the Stooges broke up for good in 1974, Iggy (who was depressed, suicidal, and addicted to hard drugs) checked himself into a mental hospital to straighten out. When he emerged sober, Iggy hooked up with ex-Stooges guitarist James Williamson and began collaborating on demos. The duo tried to land a record contract on the strength of the compositions, but failed to do so. Although it's not as jaw-dropping as the releases listed above, Kill City certainly has its moments. And surprisingly, the songs sound more like laid-back Stones rockers than what the duo was known for at the time (which was barely containable near-heavy metal). There are a couple of Stooges leftovers ("Johanna" & "I Got Nothin") which lack the bite of the originals, but make up for it in Iggy's heartfelt vocals. The title track opens the album, with the lyrics painting a picture of a desperate and dangerous metropolis, and musically is the closest to the classic Stooges' sound. Iggy and James' admiration of Jagger and Richards shows on the tracks "Sell Your Love," "Lucky Monkeys," and the instrumental "Night Theme." Also, synthesizers and keyboards are featured on "Master Charge," signaling the new direction Iggy would soon embark on. Also included are informative liner notes which do a good job of showing where Iggy's head was at during his mid-'70s, refocusing period. An interesting release, worthy of belonging in any Stooges/Iggy fan's collection. — Greg Prato
01-31-03 05:22 PM
stonedinaustralia thanx CCM - it's been so long since i've listened to KC - i'd forgotten about "Night Theme" - it's beautiful - i've got it (KC) on tape around here somewhere - you've inspired me to go dig it up
01-31-03 05:41 PM
Factory Girl Thanks CCM. I love "Tight Pants" and "Scene of the Crime".

Will listen tonight for sure. Right now I'm listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers "One Hot Minute".
01-31-03 06:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Some pix for you

Iggy Stooge, Mt. Clemens Pop Festival, Michigan August 1969 by Baron Wolman, from his great book "Classic Rock & Other Rollers"

This is Iggy with Ray Manzarek and Alice Cooper at The Whisky A-Go-Go in 1974, check Iggy's T

Don't remember who sent it
01-31-03 06:51 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Some pix for you

Is that a yoga move?
[Edited by Nasty Habits]
01-31-03 11:44 PM
Vinyl kills Everyone! please check out the album "APOCALYPSE DUDES" by the band TURBONEGRO! One of the BEST rock LP's ever!!!

Also early G.G. ALLIN when he played with the JABBERS rocks mega hard!!!!

G.G. later stuff might be a little too wild and vulgar for some, but his early shite is essential.

I've heard bootlegs of G.G. covering the STONES "LAST TIME" perfectly.
02-01-03 12:35 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Vinyl kills wrote:
Everyone! please check out the album "APOCALYPSE DUDES" by the band TURBONEGRO! One of the BEST rock LP's ever!!!

Actually, I second the first part of this.

MOTHER FUCKIN' PIZZA TONIGHT!

02-01-03 06:28 PM
purrcafe GG Allin also did a nice version of Dead Flowers.
02-02-03 01:36 AM
Vinyl kills No shit! what's that available on???
02-02-03 05:10 PM
purrcafe All of my vinyl is pretty much inaccessible, so I can't tell you for sure, but if I remember correctly, it was on the 7 inch of Troubled Troubador. Now seeing GG live, there was a unique experience!
02-02-03 05:44 PM
Vinyl kills Yeah, your right. I checked up on it and it's also available on a CD titled "TROUBLED TROUBADOR + BONUS TRACKS". Thanks for the info. I remember seeing one of the many homemade videos of him and during and interview STONES was playing in the background. Great!
02-03-03 07:20 AM
Factory Girl Is "Wet My Bed" on the Complete Funhouse Sessions?
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST