ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Staples Center, Los Ángeles, CA - February 6, 2003
By Fred Prouser/Reuters

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Phoenix setlist, reviews and pix Return to archive
01-31-03 01:40 AM
Stonesdoug Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
Bitch
Don't Stop
All Down the Line
Wild Horses
Let It Bleed (theme)
Live with Me
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice

Intros

Thru and Thru
Before They Make Me RUn
Sympathy for the Devil
You Got Me Rockin
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk WOmen
Satisfaction

B stage
IORR
Like A Rolling Stone
Brown Sugar

Encore
JJF
01-31-03 03:21 AM
marko fucking LARS!
01-31-03 09:11 AM
CS Ageless Stones deliver the goods
Larry Rodgers
Jan. 31, 2003 12:00 AM

It may be virtually impossible to convey to those who were not lucky (and wealthy) enough to attend Thursday's pricey Rolling Stones concert in Phoenix just how lean and mean this legendary outfit is as its four core members flirt with age 60.

With ultra-toned singer Mick Jagger and ragged-but-willing guitarist Keith Richards, both 59, leading the way, the Stones threw down a fierce, near-flawless two-hour-plus set before a joyous sellout crowd at America West Arena. Tickets cost $50 to $300, but it's a safe bet that many concertgoers would say that they got their money's worth.

Perhaps aware of critics (many of whom have never seen the Stones live) who are rolling their eyes and pooh-poohing the idea of rockers plying their craft at this age, the Stones are celebrating their 40th anniversary with a fire in their belly and a sharp focus on their unmatched catalog of hits.

Thursday's show was stripped of the pyrotechnics and massive stage architecture of tours such as the "Bridges To Babylon" outing that visited Tempe's Sun Devil Stadium in 1997. This was all about the music and a band of gritty, accomplished players who could have nailed this stuff with their eyes closed but chose to attack classic after classic tune with a clarity and passion that was absent from many of their shows in the '70s and '80s.

From the ringing chords of the show-opening Street Fighting Man, it was clear that the Stones had come to play in Phoenix, where "at least it's warm," according to a quip by the chain-smoking, bare-chested Richards.

That was an apparent reference to the group's visit last week to Chicago, where the wind-chill factor hit minus-20 degrees on the second night of a two-show stand. As good as those two shows were, rest assured from a listener who traveled to those concerts that the Phoenix performance was even more scorching and smoothly executed than the Windy City dates.

Following their pattern of focusing on different albums every night, the Stones zeroed in on 1969's Let It Bleed, playing five selections, including a take-no-prisoners Live With Me, a rock-revival-style Midnight Rambler and a churning Gimme Shelter, spotlighting the soaring vocals of Grammy-winning back-up singer Lisa Fischer.

As she wailed through a mid-song solo in Gimme Shelter and later stepped onto a small platform at stage-right to writhe, point her finger and dance, Fischer momentarily gave the still-magnetic Jagger competition for the spotlight. A total of three backup singers and four horn players, led by sax man Bobby Keyes -- a Stones compatriot since 1972 -- and piano by longtime pal Chuck Leavell gave the band added power on songs such as Honky Tonk Women.

But Jagger and his bandmates, who also include Ron Wood -- who played several nifty slide-guitar solos in tunes such as 1972's On Down The Line and a dead-on take on the Let It Bleed album's title cut -- and smiling, dependable drummer Charlie Watts, needed no propping up on Thursday.

Clearly intent in proving his doubters wrong, Jagger deftly flew through most of the hand motions, hip swivels and fist-pumping of past tours without missing a beat or running out of lung power. He even peeled his shirt up a few times to reveal a washboard stomach that most 30-year-olds would love to have. A few extra lines on his superstar face were the only hints of advancing years.

Jagger told the audience, mainly ages 30 to 55 but with a healthy dose of teens and 20-somethings, "Someone sent me a letter saying that the first time we played here was in 1965 ... so if you were there, thanks for coming back."

To complete this unbelievable rock-and-roll rave-up, the Stones took to a small stage near the back of the arena for three songs late in the set. Their rootsy take on 1974's It's Only Rock And Roll was pure, unfettered rock on the level of Chuck Berry. The grit of Brown Sugar also emerged on the cozy stage. A cover of Bob Dylan's Like A Rolling Stone was an adequate crowd-pleaser but really unnecessary.

Even the final encore of Jumpin' Jack Flash carried power and urgency, when the band easily could have just gone through the motions.

Sometimes the cliche "You had to be there" is appropriate -- and Thursday night at America West Arena was one of those times.

Set list: Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
Bitch
Don't Stop
On Down The Line
Wild Horses
Let It Bleed
Live With Me
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
Thru and Thru
Before The make Me Run
Sympathy For the Devil
You Got Me Rocking
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction
It's Only Rock and Roll
Like a Rolling Stone
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Reach Rodgers
01-31-03 09:14 AM
CS

01-31-03 09:16 AM
CS Rock-hard Stones defy age
Mick Jagger
Pat Shannahan/The Arizona Republic

Rolling Stones singer Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards, both 59, performed Thursday at America West Arena.

Larry Rodgers
Jan. 31, 2003 12:00 AM

Although some of them hadn't been born when the Rolling Stones released (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction in 1965, that didn't stop plenty of young music lovers from watching the legendary group Thursday night in Phoenix.

Opening the set with Street Fighting Man, the Stones - led by seemingly ageless singer Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards, both 59 - were greeted by a deafening roar from young and older fans alike.

"Someone sent me a letter saying the first time we played here was in 1965," Jagger told the audience at America West Arena, which was weighted heavily toward smiling, dancing concertgoers in their 30s to 50s. "So if you were there, thanks for coming back."

Marie Widmaier, 17, of Scottsdale, who attended the concert with her sister, Brittany, 15, and their father, Randy, 43, called the Stones "the classic band."

Arie Luyendyk Jr., 21, son of the Indy 500 winner, said, "I'm a big Stones fan. I've always liked older music."

But some of the most excited ticketholders had an extra decade or two under their belts.

"It's the epitome of rock and roll," said Marilyn Mikos, 54, of Los Angeles, who has seen several concerts on this tour and 25 shows since 1966.

The Stones sounded focused and solid Thursday as the band celebrated its 40th anniversary by spotlighting its new hits album, Forty Licks.

While the set was heavy on radio hits, one of the band's new songs, Don't Stop, was received warmly early on.

Other highlights early in the concert included an energetic Start Me Up, a snarling Midnight Rambler and a near-perfect Wild Horses.

Jagger, initially wearing a blue jacket and a light-colored T-shirt, showed the age-defying results of his fitness regimen as he danced about the sprawling stage and in front of a massive video screen.

Richards, wearing a constant smile, showed more wear and tear but was clearly enjoying himself. The other core members, guitarist Ron Wood and drummer Charlie Watts, also seemed in jovial spirits.

Reach the reporter at [email protected] or (602) 444-8043.
01-31-03 09:48 AM
CS Frontpage

01-31-03 09:55 AM
CS

01-31-03 10:00 AM
CS

[Edited by CS]
01-31-03 10:04 AM
CS
01-31-03 10:23 AM
steel driving hammer Hey CS, I have a problem w/ your pictures you posted!

I don't know which ones to set as fucking backrounds on my desktop!
01-31-03 12:39 PM
Madafaka WONDERFUL PIX!
Thank you very very much!
01-31-03 01:33 PM
Martha The photos are stupendous!!!!

Can I get one for my new avatar? Voodoo????? I really love the one of Keef wearing the maroon jacket and black headband. I don't have the computer ability to make that happen can you help my Voodoo????

What's Ed doing there again...is another 60 minutes interview coming together..when might it air...anyone??
01-31-03 03:25 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Wow... so Ed's doing another round with the boys.

What? No pics of Ed and Ronnie?

Ed must be a Mick Taylor fan.

-tSYX --- Silver rain it a-fallin'...
01-31-03 05:22 PM
Moonisup who is that guy with the beard?
01-31-03 07:49 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat The beard guy
02-01-03 07:18 AM
no_cole_porter I think it's from the last 60 Minutes interview. Unless they never ever change their clothes for interviews with Ed.
02-02-03 09:21 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl More pix by Stoneslib at http://novogate.com/board/968/139189-1.html

Another review at http://novogate.com/board/968/139048-1.html

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST