ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Staples Center, Los Ángeles, CA - February 6, 2003
By Fred Prouser/Reuters

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oklahoma City setlist, reviews and pix Return to archive
01-29-03 12:12 AM
Stonesdoug 1 You Got Me Rocking
2 Street Fighting Man
3 If You Can;'t Rock Me
4 Don't Stop
5 Live with Me
6 Monkey Man
7 Sweet Virginia
8 Loving Cup
9 Rocks Off
10 Tumbling Dice--Mick in Yellow coart and Black Cowboy hat
introductions
11 Slipping Away
12 Happy
13 Sympathy for the Devil
14 Start Me Up
15 Can't You Hear Me Knocking
16 Honky Tonk Women
17 Satisfaction
B Stage
18 It's Only Rock n Roll
19 Like A ROlling Stone
20 Brown Sugar

encore
21 Jumping Jack Flash
01-29-03 02:59 AM
marko All is good except,LARS!
01-29-03 07:51 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
marko wrote:
All is good except,LARS!

Ah, marko, once I thought as you did.

But it's become a fun and rollicking drunken sing-along on the B-Stage. People *love* it. It's not as boring and chorally wracked as the Stripped version.

-tSYX --- With no direction home...
01-29-03 09:18 AM
Madafaka Yes, is a nice setlist.
01-29-03 09:42 AM
CS Rolling Stones show time still on their side
2003-01-29
By Jerry Shottenkirk
The Oklahoman

Mick Jagger, just a few spins and gyrating jumps away from 60, gives the world hope that tomorrow always comes. And for 40 years, the Rolling Stones have given the world some of the greatest rock music.

No dinosaurs were to be found Tuesday night at the Ford Center.

Every soul was young, especially those on stage.

Fresh, right on the mark, and crowd-pleasing every step of the way, the Stones cranked out about two hours worth of rock standards, along with a few new numbers off their recently released "Forty Licks."

Ron Wood brought his perpetual smile.

Keith Richards brought his licks, his cigarettes and an on- stage presence that never loses a beat or a step.

Charlie Watts, the stoic Stone, brought his expressionless mastery of the drums.

The Rolling Stones are never short on background players, and the brass, the keyboards, backup singers and additional guitarists give unmatched support.

"Please allow me to introduce myself," shouted Jagger after the other Stones had been introduced midway in the concert. "Sympathy For the Devil" followed, and the nearly 20,000 fans roared.

Tickets were offered right up to the point of the show. By the time the main attraction reached the stage, only a few seats remained.

Ryan Adams opened the evening, and he properly primed the crowd with an impressive set. Lending everything from an Allman Brothers sound to Jimi Hendrix-like riffs that eventually broke his guitar, Adams and his band rocked for about 45 minutes.

After a short break, Mick, who turns 60 July 26, and his pals exploded onto the stage, and they were sharp. That can't be an easy task. They've been on tour since early fall.

"Start Me Up" is a sports anthem heard in nearly every indoor or outdoor stadium, and it really has supreme meaning when it's done live by the men themselves.

Those in the audience ranged from small children to those in their 70s.

Jagger strutted and played to fans on all sides of the stage. He had a handful of harmonica solos and grabbed a guitar and joined Wood and Richards for a few tunes.

The crowd heartily received every effort, but the standards such as "Honky Tonk Woman," in which the Stones had thousands of backup singers, made the Ford Center vibrate. "(Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Brown Sugar" followed with similar results.

Near the end of the concert, the band walked to the other end of the arena and provided close-up jams to those who didn't have the $320 seats.

Those with rock music in their hearts need to see these guys at least once.

If you haven't, don't worry. Time is on your side.

01-29-03 12:11 PM
moy a funny video and one photo

i'm not sure if the video link will work if posted here, if not just ho to the link below and click "video"

video link http://www.newsok.com/?entertainment#

article link http://www.newsok.com/?entertainment

01-29-03 12:44 PM
LadyJane "Many couples walked out of the concert saying the Stones weren't that good. Most stated Paul McCartney was much better".

Prove it!! I want to see footage of the people leaving mid-show!! Find that a little hard to believe. Probably a total of four people who either won tickets or scored them at their jobs!!

LadyJ.
01-29-03 01:39 PM
gypsy I was having too much fun to notice anyone leaving the show. Looked to me like EVERYONE there was having a great time.
01-29-03 02:30 PM
jb It almost sold out.....
01-29-03 04:27 PM
midnightmagic What can you say,if you have been to a show this tour you know what these guys can do. They did it again, wow what a freakin great show. We had great seats, level with thestage on Ronnies side in the first section by the stage. I highly suggest you get seats there before the floor. What a view. Highlights:Loving Cup and Rocks Off.

Anybody know of a boot yet from this show?
01-29-03 04:32 PM
luxury1 Yeah--I agree--that is the best spot to watch the show. All the boys play to that side often also. I was there (briefly) for the MSG show, and got booted out when Ronnie's family took up residence there. Damn,I hate when that happens.
01-29-03 06:21 PM
Phog Incredible show. I was also seated on Ronnie's side, first level off the floor. Great view. Did anyone notice Keith getting pissed off at Chuck for flubbing the ending of SFM? He threw his guitar pick to the ground in disgust and spat a few angry words at him. In truth, the flubbed ending didn't sound that bad. It was kinda like some of the sloppy song endings from the '81 tour--ragged but very cool.
Highlights were numerous--really great version of Sweet Virginia. Of course Loving Cup was jaw-dropping. Nasty version of Live With Me. Mick introducing Don't Stop by saying that it will be on "our next album". CYHMK was fantastic, far better than the version I saw in Columbus( and it was great, too ). Ronnie's solo started out with some strange harmonic tinkering that was pretty neat. Anytime I can see Keith sing Slipping Away I will be pleased. Mick was in great voice and playing great harp. Finally getting to see Monkey Man in an arena. I could go on and on. Suffice it to say that I had a great fucking time.

Phog
01-29-03 09:33 PM
Angiegirl Here are the pix from RS.com:

Ronnie giving away a guitar pick to the audience, shame it's too dark!

Dunno who's b-day, someone from the crew? Cohl?

Wouldn't know that she's Lisa if rs.com didn't say so...Doesn't she look old without the stage make-up? Iew...

[Edited by Angiegirl]
01-29-03 09:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Great pix Angie! Probably Nasty is going to use it as header as I'm exiled now... help me!
01-30-03 09:53 AM
CS Stones roll through OKC

Melissa Merideth-Daily Staff Writer
January 30, 2003

While the group's tents may be getting tattered and showing their age, the Rolling Stones' rocking circus is still going strong.

The Stones have been making and influencing some of the greatest rock music in the world for over 40 years and the band brought each of its individual personalities in a nostalgic performance Tuesday night at Oklahoma City's Ford Center.

Lead singer Mick Jagger showed as much energy as seen before in his lengthy career, jumping and gyrating his hips throughout the performance. Guitarist Ron Wood played while sporting his unforgettable smile, as Keith Richards played guitar as he smoothly smoked his cigarettes wearing a hot pink shirt. Drummer Charlie Watts remained in the background, as usual, but his playing -- that never misses a beat -- was hardly anything but unnoticed.

For hundreds of fans returning after seeing countless performances in the past or those in the crowd for the first time, the Stones' two-hour performance was refreshing and foot-stomping.

Having waited two hours since the opening act, the crowd of fans ranging from teenagers to 70 year olds were anxious for the legendary performers to come on as the crowd chanted the group's name.

The group took the stage, performing many favorites from throughout their career, along with a few numbers from its recently released "Forty Licks" album.

"Please allow me to introduce myself," shouted Jaggar after the other Stones, including an array of equally enthusiastic background singers and players, had been introduced half-way through the show.

The crowd roared as Jaggar sang and danced to songs such as "Start Me Up" and "Brown Sugar." Jaggar jumped higher and swiveled his hips faster than most college-age students could. The band also strutted down a runway to perform for those seated toward the middle of the arena. Richards even sang a few tunes to sooth the crowd while Jaggar played a harmonica. The night ended with the reminiscent tune "Like a Rolling Stone," with the crowd singing along.

The band announced the tour in early 2002 in their usually outrageous style by arriving at a New York press conference in a yellow blimp displaying the group's lips-and-tongue logo.

The tour, aptly named Rolling Stones on the Road, kicked off Sept. 5, 2002, in Boston and ends in February of 2003 in Mexico City. The group begins its world tour in June of 2003 for its "Forty Licks" album.

While members of the Stones may be getting older (Jaggar will turn 60 this July), seeing this group perform is a must. Since the group's relentless drive to perform seems to have no end, fans may be able to do this for some time to come. Hopefully, the Stones will make another stop in Oklahoma before the end of their career.

02-01-03 10:58 AM
midnightmagic Anybody have the boot yet?
02-01-03 07:42 PM
Gazza "Rolling Stones show time still on their side"

Christ..how many reviews is that this tour with THAT title? If its not that one its "Stones Give Satisfaction"

Bet these guys think theyre witty and original with these catchy headlines!
02-01-03 09:09 PM
Riffhard How true Gazza. The old relieable Stones cliches'.

The Wrinkly Rockers
The Stones Give Satisfaction
The Stones Continue to Roll

The list goes on and on...........................

Riffhard
02-01-03 09:39 PM
mick&keith Sorry, but it's a fine picture of Lisa...nuthin' wrong with her!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST