ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Superbowl halftime show, Ford Field, Detroit February 5, 2006
© Frank Micelotta, with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Day The Music Died Return to archive
February 3rd, 2006 06:34 AM
Nellcote February 3, 1959
Plane crash killed
Buddy Holly
Ritchie Valens
JP Richardson "The Big Bopper"

On a cold winter's night a small private plane took off from Clear Lake, Iowa bound for Fargo, N.D. It never made its destination.

When that plane crashed, it claimed the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, J.P. "Big Bopper" Richardson and the pilot, Roger Peterson. Three of Rock and Roll's most promising performers were gone. As Don McLean wrote in his classic music parable, American Pie, it was "the day the music died."

Performing in concert was very profitable, and Buddy Holly needed the money it provided. "The Winter Dance Party Tour" was planned to cover 24 cities in a short 3 week time frame (January 23 - February 15) and Holly would be the biggest headliner. Waylon Jennings, a friend from Lubbock, Texas and Tommy Allsup would go as backup musicians.

Ritchie Valens, probably the hottest of the artists at the time, The Big Bopper, and Dion and the Belmonts would round out the list of performers.

The tour bus developed heating problems. It was so cold onboard that reportedly one of the drummers developed frostbite riding in it. When they arrived at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa, they were cold, tired and disgusted.

Buddy Holly had had enough of the unheated bus and decided to charter a plane for himself and his guys. At least he could get some laundry done before the next performance!

That night at the Surf Ballroom was magical as the fans went wild over the performers.

Jiles P. Richardson, known as The Big Bopper to his fans, was a Texas D.J. who found recording success and fame in 1958 with the song Chantilly Lace.

Richie Valenzuela was only 16 years old when Del-Fi record producer, Bob Keane, discovered the Pacoima, California singer. Keane rearranged his name to Ritchie Valens, and in 1958 they recorded Come On, Let's Go. Far more successful was the song Valens wrote for his girlfriend, Donna, and its flip side, La Bamba, a Rock and Roll version of an old Mexican standard. This earned the teenager an appearance on American Bandstand and the prospect of continued popularity.

Charles Hardin "Buddy" Holley (changed to Holly due to a misspelling on a contract) and his band, The Crickets, had a number one hit in 1957 with the tune That'll Be The Day. This success was follwed by Peggy Sue and an appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. By 1959, Holly had decided to move in a new direction. He and the Crickets parted company. Holly married Maria Elena Santiago and moved to New York with the hope of concentrating on song writing and producing.

Dwyer Flying Service got the charter. $36 per person for a single engine Beechcraft Bonanza.

No, the plane wasn't named American Pie. It only had serial numbers, N3794N.

Waylon Jennings gave his seat up to Richardson, who was running a fever and had trouble fitting his stocky frame comfortably into the bus seats.

When Holly learned that Jennings wasn't going to fly, he said, "Well, I hope your old bus freezes up." Jennings responded, "Well, I hope your plane crashes." This friendly banter of friends would haunt Jennings for years.

Allsup told Valens, I'll flip you for the remaining seat. On the toss of a coin, Valens won the seat and Allsup the rest of his life.

The plane took off a little after 1 A.M. from Clear Lake and never got far from the airport before it crashed, killing all onboard.

A cold N.E wind immediately gave way to a snow which drastically reduced visibility. The ground was already blanketed in white. The pilot may have been inexperienced witht he instrumentation.

One wing hit the ground and the small plane corkscrewed over and over. The three young stars were thrown clear of the plane, leaving only pilot Roger Peterson inside.

Over the years there has been much speculation as to whether a shot was fired inside the plane which disabled or killed the pilot. Logic suggests that encased in a sea of white snow, with only white below, Peterson just flew the plane into the ground.

Deciding that the show must go on at the next stop, Moorhead, MN, they looked for local talent to fill in. Just across the state line from Moorhead, in Fargo ND, they found a 15 year old talent named Bobby Vee.

The crash that ended the lives of Holly, Valens and Richardson was the break that began the career of Vee.

Tommy Allsup would one day open a club named "The Head's Up Saloon," a tribute to the coin toss that saved his life.

Waylon Jennings would become a hugely popular Country singer.

Dion di Mucci would enjoy a long lived solo career.

Inscribed on Ritchie Valens' grave are the words, "Come On, Let's Go."

February 3rd, 2006 07:10 AM
stonedinaustralia and of course sid vicious

that's the thing about rock and roll

it's got a great sense of humour
February 3rd, 2006 07:21 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Great articl, thank you
February 3rd, 2006 08:25 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
February 3rd, 2006 08:30 AM
Ten Thousand Motels WAYLON ON BUDDY

If anything I’ve ever done is remembered,” Waylon Jennings told CMT.com in 1999, “part of it is because of Buddy Holly.”

Jennings, who died Wednesday (Feb. 13) in Chandler, Ariz., at age 64, said the main thing he learned from Holly was attitude. Holly refused to compromise when it came to his music. Jennings also stayed true to his musical instincts and made a number of landmark recordings that helped shape the course of country music. Known for his rugged individualism, Jennings was dubbed an outlaw in Nashville because he demanded the freedom to record the material he wanted to record with the musicians of his choice.

“Buddy was the first guy who had confidence in me,” the Country Music Hall of Fame member said. “Hell, I had as much star quality as an old shoe. But he really liked me and believed in me.”

Jennings’ big break came when he joined Holly's band, and one of the turning points in his life and storied career was his decision to give up a seat on the ill-fated flight that took the lives of Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper on Feb. 3, 1959. That fateful evening has been referred to as “the day the music died,” the symbolic end of 1950s rock 'n' roll.

Jennings told CMT.com that the brutal crash left scars that still haunted him 40 years after Holly’s death. Jennings never came to terms with his last words to Holly, the joking refrain, "I hope your ol' plane crashes."

Jennings, who named a son after Holly, began his career in the mid ‘50s as a Holly protégé. The two became close when Jennings was a radio jock and budding musician in Texas.

"I was working as a disc jockey at KLLL in Lubbock,” Jennings recalled. “Buddy would come up and hang out with me when he was in town. I had known him for a long time from talent shows we'd do around Lubbock.”

In 1958, Holly financed, produced and played on Jennings' first recording -- a rollicking, Texas-flavored version of the Harry Choates Cajun classic, "Jole Blon."

Holly’s success gave Jennings and other local musicians hope, Jennings explained in his 1996 autobiography, Waylon. He wrote: “We'd lay back in the studio and play guitars, and Buddy would tell us stories. Our eyes would bug out of our heads because he'd been all over the world. He would talk about people like the Everly Brothers and Jerry Lee and Elvis.”

When he was 21, Jennings was tapped by Holly to play bass in Holly's new band on a tour through the Midwest in early 1959. Holly also hired guitarist Tommy Allsup and drummer Carl "Goose" Bunch for the "Winter Dance Party" tour.

"One day Buddy brought this bass guitar in and pitched it in my lap and said, 'You've got two weeks to learn to play it,'” Jennings told CMT.com. “I never took the time to figure it out. I just memorized every song Buddy ever recorded. I was terrible. I played too loud and broke the amplifier speakers. I was scared to death. In later years I got to where I could play a little bit, but at that time I was over my head. He'd have been better off with a monkey back there instead of me.”

The rock 'n' roll package tour starring Holly, Valens, J.P. "Big Bopper" Richardson, Dion & The Belmonts and Frankie Sardo was to be three weeks of one-night stands, beginning in Milwaukee on Jan. 23 and winding up in Springfield, Ill., on Feb. 15.

Crisscrossing the upper Midwest in wretched winter conditions, the tour bus engine froze up while making its way through northern Wisconsin on the last day of January. As a replacement, the troupe was given a converted school bus. A couple of days later, in Clear Lake, Iowa, Holly asked Jennings and Allsup if they wanted to go with him on a charter flight. He planned to fly ahead of the troupe 400 miles to Minnesota, to get caught up on sleep and laundry before the next night's show.

The Big Bopper asked Jennings for his spot on the four-seat plane, while Valens and Allsup flipped a coin to see who would fly and who would travel on the cold, cramped bus.

"Big Bopper weighed about 300 pounds, and he had trouble sitting on those bus seats, and he couldn't get any rest,” Jennings remembered. “He came to me and said, 'I have the flu, I'm very sick and tired and I haven't been able to sleep. Would you mind if I took your place on the plane?'”

Holly, Valens, the Big Bopper and the pilot, Roger Peterson, boarded the single-engine plane just past midnight. The aircraft flew into a blizzard and crashed near Mason City, Iowa.

"I remember the last time I saw Buddy,” Jennings said in his interview with CMT.com. “He had me go get us some hot dogs. He was leaning back against the wall in a cane-bottom chair and he was laughing at me. He said, 'So you're not going with us tonight on the plane, huh? Well, I hope your ol' bus freezes up. It's 40-below out there and you're gonna get awful cold. So I said, 'Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes.'

“I was so afraid for many years that somebody was going to find out I said that. Somehow I blamed myself. Compounding that was the guilty feeling that I was still alive. I hadn't contributed anything to the world at that time compared to Buddy. Why would he die and not me? It took a long time to figure that out, and it brought about some big changes in my life -- the way I thought about things.”

Holly was the first to believe in Jennings’ talents and the person who encouraged him to be a musical individual, a lesson Jennings carried with him throughout his legendary career.

Jennings wrote in his autobiography, “[Buddy] had a dose of Nashville where they wouldn't let him sing it the way he heard it and wouldn't let him play his own guitar parts. Can't do this, can't do that. 'Don't ever let people tell you you can't do something,' he'd say, 'and never put limits on yourself.'

“Years later, I'd be in the studio, and the track would really get in the pocket and feel good, and I'd hear those Nashville producers saying scornfully, 'Man, that sounds like a pop hit.' And I'd remember Buddy talking to me, telling me they thought he was crazy, as that freezing bus moved down the highway from Green Bay, Wisc., to Clear Lake, Iowa.”

February 3rd, 2006 10:16 AM
nanatod Ironically, Buddy's band, the Crickets, consisting of guitarist Sonny Curtis, bassist Joe B. Mauldlin, and drummer J.I Allison, still play occasional shows.

Nanatod and his gal pal saw them this year at Milwaukee's Summerfest, and they are younger and more spry than you would think. They don't miss a beat or a note. Because Curtis, Maudlin, and Allison, wrote or co-wrote many of Holly's hits, they get publishing revenue, and probably only tour because they want to.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)