ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Superbowl halftime show, Ford Field, Detroit February 5, 2006
© Frank Micelotta, with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Winnipeg dance group roll with Stones Return to archive
February 2nd, 2006 11:37 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Winnipeg dance group roll with Stones

By LINDSEY WARD - Winnipeg Sun

WINNIPEG - Mick Jagger would do pirouettes before many modern dance choreographers would set their work to his rock tunes.

But Trip Dance Company artistic director Karen Kuzak decided The Rolling Stones were a suitable music choice for the third and final solo in her company's ninth show, The Company of One -- even though popular music isn't that popular with her colleagues.

"Usually choreographers don't -- well, I've definitely shied away from bringing anything into my work that has strong associations with people, using music very cautiously. In this instance, I went exactly in the opposite in this direction," says Kuzak of the solo performed by former Winnipegger Linnea Swan.

Until recently, Kuzak didn't even own a Stones album. But she kept hearing their songs in the media and realized they triggered many past memories. So she incorporated a medley of the English band's hits with Swan's movements in a way she hopes will also trigger memories in her audience.

"That's definitely something I hope for when I'm making a work is that people will bring their information as they're viewing and be able to each have their unique experience," she says.

The Company of One also borrows from pop culture with its opening piece -- a live, interactive flamenco number performed by dancer Claire Marchand and sound artist Ken Gregory.

Kuzak feels mainstream dance forms and melodies are more accessible for those unacquainted with contemporary dance.

"I think that people are comfortable with styles of dancing like flamenco. Things like The Rolling Stones will bring in a certain comfort zone to watching the modern dance vocabulary."

Kuzak also took a new approach by featuring another choreographer (Montreal's Paul-Andre Fortier) in the show. All of the company's past performances have been exclusively her work.

Fortier's piece -- performed by local dance vet Randy Joynt -- is an unpredictable, physically demanding work set to industrial sounds by electronic artist Alain Thibault.

"We call it an unplugged aesthetic where the dancer is doing virtuoso dancing," she says. "There's nothing extraneous and theatrical happening. It's simply pure movement."

The Company of One is on tomorrow and Saturday at CanWest Global Performing Arts Centre -- a new venue for Trip's dancers, who usually perform at Gas Station Theatre. Tickets cost $16 - $20 at 942-8898.

February 2nd, 2006 11:49 AM
glencar They should do the Superbowl Halftime show!
February 2nd, 2006 11:39 PM
The Eggman Being from Winnipeg, I find this slightly embarassing...
February 3rd, 2006 05:03 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
The Eggman wrote:
Being from Winnipeg, I find this slightly embarassing...

Will you be in attendance??? Tickets are only 16 bucks.
February 3rd, 2006 05:09 AM
Jumacfly I wonder on which songs they will dance...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)