ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Superbowl halftime show, Ford Field, Detroit February 5, 2006
© Frank Micelotta, with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Ground Hog Says... Return to archive
February 2nd, 2006 10:49 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The Ground Hog Says...

Craig Huckerby -- LTVNEWS.COM -- Thursday, February 2, 2006, 8:17AM

Happy Ground Hog Day!

Wiarton Willie made his prediction this morning and didn't see his shadow, that means Winter will end soon.

Of course, for many, even here in Sault Ste. Marie, Winter just doesn't seem to have a grip on us this year.

Forecasters are calling for a sharp cool down in February, a contrast to well above normal temperatures for Janaury

The Punxsutawney phenomenon

Despite naysayers, Hutch businessman grew up a believer

By Clara Kilbourn
The Hutchinson News

While naysayers might discredit the weather prognostication surrounding Groundhog Day, Hutchinson businessman Dick Strano grew up a believer.

Strano, a Punxsutawney, Pa., native, always hoped the first Thursday of February would dawn cloudy. That meant groundhog Phil wouldn't be frightened by his shadow and would put a hold on spring.

"To a certain extent we accepted it as prophesy," he said. "The winters were hard and tough. We hated the idea of six more weeks of cold and snow."

Strano and his younger brother, Bob, both came to Kansas four decades ago on college football scholarships, but they've remained loyal to their Punxsutawney heritage and all the "hoopla" that goes with the annual ritual of Groundhog Day.

"It's well-ingrained," Dick Strano said.

On Wednesday, skies in Punxsutawney were overcast and Ac cuWeather.com in nearby State College forecast continued overcast skies and possibility of a sprinkle or flurry.

Over the years, Phil's been pretty close, said meteorologist Paul Pastelok. But his powers could be tested over the next month. Despite a mild-January, winter's expected to return with a vengeance in the Northeast in February, Pastelok said.

The ceremony that surrounds the day, with Phil's handlers dressed in top hats and tails,

increases the population of Punxsutawney (pronounced PUNK-sa-tawny) from 8,000 to 30,000, Library Director Roberta Dinsmore said.

German immigrants who founded the town are credited with bringing the lore of Candelmas that has evolved into Ground Hog Day.

"They were in the dead of winter with nothing to do," Dinsmore said. "Everybody was getting edgy with snow and cold and decided to have some fun. That's what it's all about."

Phil and his companion, Phyllis, have their "own little place" at the library and can be viewed through a picture window.

"People come from around the world to see him," Dinsmore said.

The crowd starts gathering as early as 3 a.m. at Gobbler's Knob outside of town, where Phil makes his appearance at his stump house, Strano said. The ceremony, at 6:26 a.m. Central time, is timed to give Phil his own spot on national network television.

Strano and his brother, Bob Strano of Leavenworth, return to Punxsutawney in summertime to visit their parents. With grandchildren in tow, they make the pilgrimage to Gobbler's Knob.

Despite the amusing concept that a rodent tells the weather, the celebration is an economic boost for the picturesque little town, said Dick's wife, Joan Strano.

Bob Strano credited the 1993 movie "Groundhog Day" with making Phil's day an even bigger event.

So, despite the razzing, every year Bob wears his Groundhog Day T-shirt to work as athletic director at Leavenworth High.

2006/02/02; 02:33:38 AM

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
February 2nd, 2006 11:58 AM
glencar Has winter even arrived this year?
February 2nd, 2006 12:02 PM
Nellcote Watched it live while working.
It was a sad moment to see these elderly men tugging a drugged groundhog around.
February 2nd, 2006 12:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Has winter even arrived this year?

Well, my heating oil bill says YES....almost $1000.00 so far.
February 2nd, 2006 12:06 PM
glencar That's your annual income!
February 2nd, 2006 12:07 PM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
Has winter even arrived this year?

We all thanked GW for the great weather in NYC...
February 2nd, 2006 12:08 PM
glencar GW?
February 2nd, 2006 12:08 PM
glencar No such thing!
February 2nd, 2006 12:12 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Watched it live while working.
It was a sad moment to see these elderly men tugging a drugged groundhog around.

Ug...I agree. I wish the news
outlets would stop covering
that pompous old fart waving
a small animal in the air every
February.

This is not news....just
an embarrassment!

February 2nd, 2006 12:16 PM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
GW?

Bush...
I remember Riffy looking at me and saying, February is gonna be rough, but we can thank Bush for this great weather... We all laughed and sprayed 100 aeresol cans up into the air...
February 2nd, 2006 12:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels They drug him??? I didn't know that.
February 2nd, 2006 12:18 PM
glencar
quote:
pdog wrote:

Bush...
I remember Riffy looking at me and saying, February is gonna be rough, but we can thank Bush for this great weather... We all laughed and sprayed 100 aeresol cans up into the air...

Riffy is a great man! My big regret is missing the second night at Stout's & going to Walter's instead. It wasn't much fun & the cops outside gave me a bad vibe.
February 2nd, 2006 12:30 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
That's your annual income!

The income is fine....it's the out-go that kills me.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)