ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Superbowl halftime show, Ford Field, Detroit February 5, 2006
© Frank Micelotta, with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Was Ronnie conscious during the 01-20 show at the Garden Return to archive
January 31st, 2006 01:43 PM
ExileInLA What the hell is he doing on Sway? And most of the other songs for that matter.
January 31st, 2006 02:02 PM
Saint Sway he was conscious!!!!

I know this for a fact, because I was sitting stage right and saw him wave several times to the audience during each song. A couple of times he made a fist and jabbed in the air. He even danced around a little bit too. And I saw him clutch a pick and strum his guitar AT LEAST a half dozen times during the entire concert. And at least 2 dozen times he pointed and grinned at one of the other band members.

he also stopped to eat a banana.

no way he could of done all that if he was unconscious.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
January 31st, 2006 02:06 PM
Sir Stonesalot His lap steel part in Happy was OK. And his electric sitar during PIB made the song.
January 31st, 2006 02:12 PM
Joey
quote:
ExileInLA wrote:
What the hell is he doing on Sway? And most of the other songs for that matter.

He hasn't been conscious on stage since 1995
January 31st, 2006 05:54 PM
crb69 Ronnie had a good night @ MSG on the 20th...I was there and thought it was a better show than September 13th last year (one of the best actually that I've ever seen outta 12 Stones shows). Ronnie's playing (soloing) is pure spontaneous off-the-cuff jamming. I too think he could play better considering the time he has to prepare and the money he makes but what can you do? He's been a staple in the band for over 30 years now...they're not going to find someone else at this point. My advice to fans that are dissappointed with his current playing is to put on some earlier shows from the seventies and hear him JAM! Although that could add to the frustration...LOL Just enjoy the pure R&R shows the band throws at you and try not to be too skeptical of older rock stars that are obviously out there for the moment (like they've always been). Remember you are talking about the ROLLING STONES who've been partying longer than most of us have even been alive.
January 31st, 2006 05:58 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

He hasn't been conscious on stage since 1995

Let the world witness how the once proud Joey has been reduced to incessant babbling stolen from an Encyclopedia Britannica...He was...simply put...Robert McNamara'ed into submission
January 31st, 2006 10:53 PM
ExileInLA the reason i ask is this:
his playing has gotten WORSE over the years starting with 75 and finally hearing this monstrosity on the 20th. guitarists that play solos "off the cuff" don't play like Ron. guitarists that are wasting your time and money by being completely wasted do. hendrix never sounded this bad. neither did stevie ray. or any other soloist for that matter worth his salt.
January 31st, 2006 11:02 PM
nanatod "...they're not going to find someone else at this point"

If they are going to pay for sidemen-- Tim Ries, Bobby Keys, and to some extent, Darryl Jones, then the Stones could theoretically pony up a little something for an additonal (third) guitarist, freeing up Wood and Richards and allowing them to improvise more if necessary. I think someone like Mick Taylor has to much pride, and there has been too much water under the bridge for him to come back, but there are lots of competent and often engaging popular or semi-popular guitarists who would relish a chance to be part of a Stones tour.

For example, although REM has nothing to do with the Stones, they do beef up their touring lineup with Ministry, Posies and Minus Five members.

What would prevent Vernon Reid, James Blood Ulmer, or Stone Gossard from giving a little "oomph" to the Bigger Bang?
January 31st, 2006 11:17 PM
ExileInLA
quote:
nanatod wrote:
"...they're not going to find someone else at this point"

If they are going to pay for sidemen-- Tim Ries, Bobby Keys, and to some extent, Darryl Jones, then the Stones could theoretically pony up a little something for an additonal (third) guitarist, freeing up Wood and Richards and allowing them to improvise more if necessary. I think someone like Mick Taylor has to much pride, and there has been too much water under the bridge for him to come back, but there are lots of competent and often engaging popular or semi-popular guitarists who would relish a chance to be part of a Stones tour.

For example, although REM has nothing to do with the Stones, they do beef up their touring lineup with Ministry, Posies and Minus Five members.

What would prevent Vernon Reid, James Blood Ulmer, or Stone Gossard from giving a little "oomph" to the Bigger Bang?

how much more room do they need to improvise? they fucking primp and point all night long and NEVER get around to actually playing. it's an epidemic that has been accepted for a good 15 years.
January 31st, 2006 11:26 PM
Barney Fife
quote:
ExileInLA wrote:

how much more room do they need to improvise? they fucking primp and point all night long and NEVER get around to actually playing. it's an epidemic that has been accepted for a good 15 years.

Are you saying that $10 bar bands are better?
February 1st, 2006 09:45 AM
Joey " He was...simply put...Robert McNamara'ed into submission"

Nice ' Simon & Gayfunkel ' reference ....

JACKY !!!!
February 1st, 2006 10:41 PM
Make It Funky Barney Fife: Yes!! But are you going to hear the Stones play their tunes, or are you going to SEE them play their tunes?? Sometimes they actually play their tunes pretty good - but usually they fuck them up almost systematically.

None of RonWood's guitar solos' are as memorable as YCAGWYW in '75/76. Conversely, I think MickTaylor's solo for the same song during the '73 tour two years previous, is far superior.

I love seeing local bar bands pulling off wicked versions (even better) than original Stones tunes. Ive never heard the Stones do much better than a mediocre version of HonkyTonkWomen. That's sad.

Cheers.
February 2nd, 2006 05:57 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
ExileInLA wrote:

it's an epidemic that has been accepted for a good 15 years.

not for me anymore!!
February 2nd, 2006 07:13 AM
corgi37 Chuck Leavell owns Honky Tonk Women now. Its HIS song. Like Gimme Shelter is Lisa's.

We need a song for Blondie. How about Winning Ugly? Cause that guy is one sorry ass looking mother fucker.
February 2nd, 2006 07:28 AM
stonzed ronnie makes the stones
February 2nd, 2006 07:31 AM
speedfreakjive He and Keith are letting down the team on this tour.
February 2nd, 2006 08:10 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Chuck Leavell owns Honky Tonk Women now. Its HIS song. Like Gimme Shelter is Lisa's.

We need a song for Blondie. How about Winning Ugly? Cause that guy is one sorry ass looking mother fucker.

LOL!
Hail to the King!
February 2nd, 2006 09:30 AM
luxury1 My take on Ronnie, after seeing the band about 10 times this tour, most often up front on ROnnie's side--is that he is almost "too straight." He seems like a deer caught in the headlights at times--like solo times, actually. I watch him alot when I am right in front of him, and I swear I can "see the wheels spinning" in his head, like "OK, what do I do next, where do I go now?" kinda thing. He appears nervous, and not at all that confident when the spotlight is on him, and yes, there is alot of mugging about, because it seems to me that he really doesnt quite know what to do!! Mick and Keith are always yelling at him and giving him dirty looks. I think the poor guy is having a tough time, trying to keep straight, play guitar for the band, and have fun doing it. I think he is struggling and it is now most apparent. I just watched a video from '75 tour, and man, his guitar playing was so much better. It appears as if he is too hesitant to play now, or that he forgot how to be fluid or something Keith?, well, I think he is a bit in a drunken stupor............
February 2nd, 2006 09:33 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Barney Fife: Yes!! But are you going to hear the Stones play their tunes, or are you going to SEE them play their tunes?? Sometimes they actually play their tunes pretty good - but usually they fuck them up almost systematically.

None of RonWood's guitar solos' are as memorable as YCAGWYW in '75/76. Conversely, I think MickTaylor's solo for the same song during the '73 tour two years previous, is far superior.

I love seeing local bar bands pulling off wicked versions (even better) than original Stones tunes. Ive never heard the Stones do much better than a mediocre version of HonkyTonkWomen. That's sad.

Cheers.

Too bad I was too stoned to remember the guitar solos when I saw them my first time: July 1975 at Colorado State Univ. stadium in Fort Collins, CO.
February 2nd, 2006 11:03 AM
Lethargy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
he was conscious!!!!

I know this for a fact, because I was sitting stage right and saw him wave several times to the audience during each song. A couple of times he made a fist and jabbed in the air. He even danced around a little bit too. And I saw him clutch a pick and strum his guitar AT LEAST a half dozen times during the entire concert. And at least 2 dozen times he pointed and grinned at one of the other band members.

he also stopped to eat a banana.

no way he could of done all that if he was unconscious.

[Edited by Saint Sway]

I wonder, while the other band members warm up on their instruments before a show, does Ronnie practice waving to the crowd and ignoring his guitar? He's gotten so good at it. I can see a rehearsal session, where the others say "Damn it ronnie, you touched your guitar again. Back to waving!"
February 2nd, 2006 11:27 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

I wonder, while the other band members warm up on their instruments before a show, does Ronnie practice waving to the crowd and ignoring his guitar? He's gotten so good at it. I can see a rehearsal session, where the others say "Damn it ronnie, you touched your guitar again. Back to waving!"

they treat him like a pet. Apparently when he does the waving trick well, they reward him with fruit.

"Very good wave Ronnie! Here boy. Have a banana!"
February 2nd, 2006 11:28 AM
MidnightRambler For all the shit and hardships just for Ronnie to get to this tour after struggling with drinking and rehab I think everyone should shut the hell up.
February 2nd, 2006 11:30 AM
Joey
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
He and Keith are letting down the team on this tour.

Keef lets NOBODY down ........... EVER !!!!!

Snuggle to the Joe !

February 2nd, 2006 11:31 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
MidnightRambler wrote:
For all the shit and hardships just for Ronnie to get to this tour after struggling with drinking and rehab I think everyone should shut the hell up.

Too true. I have thought further ans I still think Licks was a good tour for Ronnie.
February 2nd, 2006 12:56 PM
ExileInLA
quote:
MidnightRambler wrote:
For all the shit and hardships just for Ronnie to get to this tour after struggling with drinking and rehab I think everyone should shut the hell up.

Nonsense. If you were a recovered alcoholic, off the sauce for about a year, went to work, did half of what you were supposed to do, would that be acceptable? This is Ron's GIG. This is his JOB. I know it makes it sound so fucking square, but he gets paid to play in a band. Quite well I might add. I'm sick of paying high prices to see him fuck shit up.

He was so good in the Faces. Do any of you have that box set? I love it. It's hard to believe that it's the same guitar player. He was good in his early Stones years. Then it all just fell apart. It's over Ronnie. I'l never see them live again.
February 2nd, 2006 01:18 PM
Martha Ronnie was nervous on the 20th in part due to the fact Martin Scorsese was watching him (and the band both Ronnie and Keef interacted with him) from behind Charlie's kit. He was back there measuring the stage (with his hands) and talking with another guy who I couldn't identify at least through the 6th song. I realized as I watched them all interacting that Martin must be contemplating a FILM/project starring our boys. :-)

WORD!

Ronnie may not be as "on" in large part due to the damage the alcohol has done to him over time. Even though he may not be drinking now the effects from all the years he did drink non-stop cannot be reversed. I know a few recovering alcoholics who have this issue although they have years of sobriety.

Rock On!

Maaaaaartha!
February 2nd, 2006 04:20 PM
MidnightRambler Wow some of you are cold people. Yes, this is Ronnie's JOB but that JOB happens to fall smack dab into his LIFE--which unfortunately is not in tip top shape. Every day is a struggle to not drink, and you think he knows he's playing not well? Probably!

He's nervous, he's anxious and he's a little scared because he knows that there the Stones fans demand A LOT from everyone in the band...Mick has to shake his ass and be as energetic as a firefly yet vocally stay grounded, Keith has to play his ass off and Charlie must continue to be the great drummer he is...and Ronnie has to play against all that.

Add that and the fact that his confidence is a little bruised from alcoholism/failed rehab attempts and that every time he takes a solo he has to take the crap from shit talking fans that expect A LOT. Give him a break. If he was doing better than he is...maybe we should start complaining.

Ronnie's playing is pretty good. He shined during the beginning of LIcks. But his solo in "Worried About You" this past MSG, is pretty damn good.

But when someone is trying to fix 30 years of mistakes while traveling around the country with the greatest rock and roll band and he's not feeling too "confident" on stage...give him a break.
February 2nd, 2006 05:20 PM
Sir Jack Regan Well said MR, I think we should give Ronnie a break. For all his wealth, fame and fortune, and despite his apparent outgoing, self-confident demeanour, I suspect he's battling hard with his demons and feeling the strain.

Here's to ya Ronnie!
February 2nd, 2006 05:45 PM
glencar
quote:
Martha wrote:
Ronnie was nervous on the 20th in part due to the fact Martin Scorsese was watching him (and the band both Ronnie and Keef interacted with him) from behind Charlie's kit. He was back there measuring the stage (with his hands) and talking with another guy who I couldn't identify at least through the 6th song. I realized as I watched them all interacting that Martin must be contemplating a FILM/project starring our boys. :-)

WORD!

Ronnie may not be as "on" in large part due to the damage the alcohol has done to him over time. Even though he may not be drinking now the effects from all the years he did drink non-stop cannot be reversed. I know a few recovering alcoholics who have this issue although they have years of sobriety.

Rock On!

Maaaaaartha!

You have a heart of gold & I didn't forget about sending you Sheperd's Bush. PM me the address & I'll get it out asap.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)