ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Superbowl halftime show, Ford Field, Detroit February 5, 2006
© Frank Micelotta, with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Strokes Drummer Disses Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 26th, 2006 10:52 AM
FPM C10 Attention Fab - your 15 minutes is up...

MORETTI WARY OF TURNING INTO THE ROLLING STONES

THE STROKES drummer FABRIZIO MORETTI hopes he'll know when it's time to quit the music business, and dubbed THE ROLLING STONES "sad" for carrying on into their sixties.

The LAST NITE hitmaker, who is dating Hollywood actress DREW BARRYMORE, insists he will retire from the band when they have nothing new to offer.

He says, "If we could still be a band that is honest to itself and able to reflect its current status, then we will (make music and go on tour until we get old).

"But if we hold on to something that we were in the past, than we won't.

"I don't want to end up like The Rolling Stones. They are old men trying to be young guys. That's sad."

January 26th, 2006 10:59 AM
nankerphelge Nice after the old guys actually allowed this know-nothing to share a stage with them during Licks!

I saw them briefly in Hartford -- their lead singer has all the stage presence and charisma of a toilet plunger!

Did they even have a drummer?

Fuck him -- I seriously hope he gets hit by a bus today!
January 26th, 2006 10:59 AM
Nellcote Ok, help me here.
Did they not open for the Stones during Licks?
I know Tony Soprano loves the Stones, he can handle this..
January 26th, 2006 11:08 AM
gimmekeef No way he wants to end up rich and famous..nahhhhh..never.This shit ass fuck couldnt hold Charlies sticks on his best day....Stroke this!!!
January 26th, 2006 11:11 AM
Jumping Jack "insists he will retire from the band when they have nothing new to offer"

Today is as good day as any to retire dumbass!!!
January 26th, 2006 11:14 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Since when did anyone take a DRUMMER seriously?
January 26th, 2006 11:38 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Ok, help me here.
Did they not open for the Stones during Licks?

There have been quite a few bands who opened for the Stones and then dissed them. Foo Fighters, Third Eye Blind, and another band whose name i now thankfully forget. I really don't understand the need a lot of these younger bands have for dissing the Stones. THere are so many "artists" out there worth dissing, why pick on the Stones? Well, at least I never liked the Strokes, and don't have to have a change of heart now.
January 26th, 2006 11:40 AM
star star
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
This shit ass fuck couldnt hold Charlies sticks on his best day....Stroke this!!!

AMEN!
January 26th, 2006 11:43 AM
Saint Sway everyone here gets bent out of shape anytime a new band disses the Stones.

but its no different then when bands in the 70s would diss Elvis and say they didnt want to turn out like him playing Vegas and making movies. Elvis was just uncool to them.

sad fact is, that the Stones are now uncool to all the new bands. Thats their pereception and nothings going to change it. Thats how they are seen now by an entire generation.

I think the Stones are incredible onstage but I get where their coming from and understand why bands think of the Stones as old greedy men clinging on and trying to act cool.

and Super Bowl will only make it worse.
January 26th, 2006 11:54 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
everyone here gets bent out of shape anytime a new band disses the Stones.

but its no different then when bands in the 70s would diss Elvis and say they didnt want to turn out like him playing Vegas and making movies. Elvis was just uncool to them.

sad fact is, that the Stones are now uncool to all the new bands. Thats their pereception and nothings going to change it. Thats how they are seen now by an entire generation.

I don't see many people getting bent out of shape. THe Strokes are one of the many bands that continuously gets (imo undeserved) praise on every Stones board, while the opposite is never the case.

Oh, and I wish you'd stop generalizing for an entire generation.

That said, I guess the Stones fans now see the Stones as an Elvis-Vegas act, and that is sadder than any one Stroke's opinion.

January 26th, 2006 12:11 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
No way he wants to end up rich and famous..nahhhhh..never.This shit ass fuck couldnt hold Charlies sticks on his best day....Stroke this!!!

Amen, indeed!
January 26th, 2006 12:17 PM
The Wick
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
everyone here gets bent out of shape anytime a new band disses the Stones.

I think the Stones are incredible onstage but I get where their coming from and understand why bands think of the Stones as old greedy men clinging on and trying to act cool.

and Super Bowl will only make it worse.

I agree with you to a certain extent Sainty, but when you join someone onstage to get exposure and living some fantasy, and then mouth off about them, your credibility is shot and someone who says that is sadder than anyone trying to relive their youth because they have absolutely no integrity. It's like a guy who sleeps with an older actress he has fantasized about, enjoys it, becomes famous for it, and then says, I hope I never bang anyone younger than me when I grow old, because it'll just be sad. We all know that it's a load of bollocks and that he will shag the younger girl, just like Mr. Barrymore will be out looking for younger girls when his balls drop and her tits drop even further. The only thing is that he's jealous and will never be a legend like the Stones, so once his career is shot and his only hope is a VH1 revival show, the only girls he'll be getting will be the ones you have to pay for.

Furthermore, the Stones, although not as vibrant as honest as their youth, still wipe the floor with the shit that's playing around today. Defying their own name, the Johnson Strokes can't even hold their own dicks, let alone musical instruments.
January 26th, 2006 12:27 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:

I saw them briefly in Hartford -- their lead singer has all the stage presence and charisma of a toilet plunger!

As did I...two tunes and it was off to get a coupla vodka & tonics

was Hartford not THE show of the 'Licks' tour? remember the fuckin' energy!! 'Midnight Rambler' in the encore spot!!!

I was on very good chemicals that night

then the booze got me

that's what limo drivers are for

OK now

Cazart!!
January 26th, 2006 12:29 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

That said, I guess the Stones fans now see the Stones as an Elvis-Vegas act, and that is sadder than any one Stroke's opinion.

Elvis in Vegas rocked!! He could put on a good show even on his final tour (in between shitty shows) and his Vegas-era band was one of the best rock n'roll bands ever

[Edited by lotsajizz]
January 26th, 2006 02:09 PM
texile that's right saint,
jagger mocked elvis mercilessly in the 70s...
saying he NEVER wanted to end up a parody of himself.
its a generational thing..
the thing with the - to use wick's term - JOHNSON STROKES is that they've only made what ...three albums in like 20 years....
as for mr. frizzetti - he, like his bandmates are just a bunch of trustfund kids culled from the artsy, fartsy lofts and townhouses of manhattan so.....
what to say - and when WILL drew move on tp the next rocker?
January 26th, 2006 02:09 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Elvis in Vegas rocked!! He could put on a good show even on his final tour (in between shitty shows) and his Vegas-era band was one of the best rock n'roll bands ever

[Edited by lotsajizz]

I don't like Elvis-in-Vegas.... but then I don't like any Elvis, so maybe you're right, and there isn't much of a difference.
January 26th, 2006 02:17 PM
nankerphelge Yes jizzy -- Hartford '02,and Rambler in particular, was a hell of a show!

I've heard some people actually passed out in the front row and needed oxygen for the encore!!!

That's what I heard anyway...

What do I know?

January 26th, 2006 02:35 PM
flexy633 What utterly bugs me about these younger bands is that they seem to forget something - if it weren't for the Stones, they would not be where they are. The Stones influenced so many bands, it isn't even funny!!! Elvis also influenced many, including the Stones. Musical hisory is very important and young bands should not forget how it all started.

I remember reading several messages dissing Motley Crue. Yet, you will NEVER see any of their band members bitching about the Stones. In fact, they act more like Wayne's World - bowing down and saying, "We're not worthy, we're not worthy" in regards to opening for the Stones.

I just saw Ted Nugent a few weeks ago on some news talk show talking about the Stones. He said that the reason so many fans continue to see bands like the Stones is because THEY CARE ABOUT THE MUSIC unlike the young punks of today.
January 26th, 2006 02:47 PM
MikeyC613 Why can't younger bands have class? Eddie Vedder has arguably one of the greatest American rock and roll bands ever in Pearl Jam. He pays homage to the Stones, admitting that at his age he is already starting to feel tired. I think it is a cop-out to say you wouldn't want to play at that age, because there might be the small possibility that it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for you. Why don't other bands like the Cream reunion, the Who's farewell tours, or other older acts get as much as shit as the Stones? Because it is The Rolling Stones setting the gold standard at this age, and I think most younger bands may be a little frightened.
January 26th, 2006 02:50 PM
72Tele You know when its time to hang them up if your'e in a band? When your no talent skank girlfriend is more famous then your group. She is a no talent fat never was that is famous because she liked to get high at age 3 and her grandfather was someone. Remind me to burn all my Strokes rcords.
January 26th, 2006 02:53 PM
flexy633 And as gross as I find it, Mr. Jagger's soon to be wife is nearly the same age as Mr. Strokes' girlfriend, Drew Barrymore.
January 26th, 2006 02:55 PM
flexy633
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
Why can't younger bands have class? Eddie Vedder has arguably one of the greatest American rock and roll bands ever in Pearl Jam. He pays homage to the Stones, admitting that at his age he is already starting to feel tired. I think it is a cop-out to say you wouldn't want to play at that age, because there might be the small possibility that it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for you. Why don't other bands like the Cream reunion, the Who's farewell tours, or other older acts get as much as shit as the Stones? Because it is The Rolling Stones setting the gold standard at this age, and I think most younger bands may be a little frightened.

Well, let us not forget that Mick was quoted at 38 years old saying he can't see himself singing Satisfaction in his 50's. Yet, here he is doing it in his 60's! I honestly don't think the Stones expected to go on this long. As my mom stated, "This isn't the last tour either!"
January 26th, 2006 03:00 PM
Factory Girl I think its gross that cutie Fab is dating that skanky cow Drew Barrymore. Skankorama!!

And, he's wrong about the Stones.

And, ths Strokes new cd "ain't all that".

However, I love their lead singer, Jules C.
January 26th, 2006 03:11 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Since when did anyone take a DRUMMER seriously?

Since Charlie became one.
January 26th, 2006 03:12 PM
Nellcote Flexy nailed it.
January 26th, 2006 03:16 PM
Saint Sway Flexy, Mikey & The Wick bring up excellent points. All are spot on.

I'm just saying I understand why these guys say shit about the Stones. I dont think they're right and do think they're a bit out of line. But I understand its how they see it.

of course they think 60 yr old rockers are ridiculous. But what the fuck do they know.

Like Mikey said about Pearl Jam, it only gives bands like PJ more cred and integrity when they compliment the Stones and admit that they get it and admire it.

young bands like the Strokes are only 15 minute wonders and they know it. So of course they cant fathom what the Stones are doing and of course they'll think its not cool. Its not wrong. Its just their near sightedness.

Rich Robinson said on VH1s Behind The Music that he thinks its great what the Stones are doing and he'd love to be out there at their age (just not charging $500). Cuz its about the music.

Bands like The Black Crowes, Pearl Jam and Wilco - to name a few - get it, admire it and aspire to what the Stones are doing because they are honest, road bands that tour non stop and are in it for the music first. Those type of bands get it. 15 minute wonders like The Strokes or whoever never do.
January 26th, 2006 03:29 PM
keefjunkie i love the strokes... their the future
January 26th, 2006 03:47 PM
Sir Stonesalot >their the future<

Dude...how do you expect anyone to take you seriously if you don't know the difference between "their" and "they're"?

I've never been a big Strokes fan. I think that they are a bunch of pretentious Manhattanite dinks. They wanna be the Velvet Underground. That's cool and all, but the problem is that they aren't any good at it.

That being said, why should it suprise anyone that Drew Barrymore's boytoy said what he said? He was just being a pretentious Manhattanite dink. And that is what he is. I'll bet if someone were to look hard enough, they could find pics of Fab in a Stones Tshirt.

Not only that....but who cares what the drummer from the Strokes says. He's just the drummer from the Strokes. It's not like he's important or anything.

Much ado about nothing.
January 26th, 2006 03:57 PM
Nellcote no surprise there, Man In Metal.
Just another putz thinking he's "the pillar of society", as the song goes...
January 26th, 2006 04:10 PM
ebmp Thats jealousy and thats all... How come 4 guys in their 60´s touring around the world selling out stadiums and blowing peoples minds is pathetic? Pathetic is Strokes with their stupid "We´re cool" attitude
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)