ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
The surreality show

Roundhay Park, Leeds - 25th July 1982 - Last show of the tour
The next tour-show was more than 7 years later!!
© 1982, 2004 Billy Boll
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Warren Haynes & The Dead (NSC) Return to archive
01-28-04 11:12 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Gov't Mule guitarist Warren Haynes joins the Grateful Dead temporarily

NEW YORK (AP) - The Dead is getting a new member, albeit temporarily.

Gov't Mule's Warren Haynes will perform with the Dead as the band heads out on the road this summer. The guitarist, whose band toured with the Dead in 2002, will begin performing with the band next month, including a performance at the Dead's Second Annual Winter Jam in San Francisco on Feb. 9.

In a statement, Haynes said "getting to sing some of the Hunter/Garcia songs will be a real honour."

"Every time you play with different players it changes from listening to the musicians on stage," said Haynes, who will be handling vocals and guitar for the band. "Playing with three guitar players will be more sensitive. It's a challenge I am very much looking forward to."

Haynes hasn't left behind his own band, however. The group, which is starting a tour with Kid Rock, is working on a new studio album. They also were nominated for a leading four awards, along with String Cheese Incident, for the fourth annual Jammy Awards, which will be given out March 16 in New York. The awards honour the best jam bands and musicians.

The same month, Haynes will also rejoin the Allman Brothers Band for performances at New York's Beacon Theatre.

© The Canadian Press, 2004

01-28-04 11:34 AM
mac_daddy warren is the hardest working man in the business.

if you ever have the chance, go see him perform with his band, Gov't Mule.

I'll pass on the new "Dead."

01-28-04 12:01 PM
Lazy Bones Never saw Warren with the Mule but a few times with the Allmans. Great guitarist.
01-28-04 12:20 PM
UGot2Rollme yeah Warren plays and sings very well - I really like how he and Derek Trucks trade licks with the Allman Bros...
I'm not too excited about him playing with the Dead, who now will have 3 guitar players and 2 keyboards and 2 drummers - may be too much noise.
01-28-04 12:37 PM
mac_daddy actually, they dumped one of the keyboard players, but I still wouldnt pay to see them. Hell -I barely listen to the two recordings I have of this new "Dead," and they are arguably two of the finest performances the lineup has given to date...

I miss Jerry.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
01-28-04 01:16 PM
Saint Sway Warren is an amazing guitar player. And a very underated singer - he's got a great southern blooze voice.

I caught his band Govt Mule recently and they blew the roof off with a cover of "Sympathy For the Devil"

I highly recomend checking him out with Mule or w/the Allmans. His slide work is phenomenal. And he's a tireless player who never runs out of steam or inspiration

I'm also gonna skip the Dead. They shouldnt even be allowed to call it The Dead, IMO. Bobby Weir sucks so bad. You'd think after 35 yrs on the road he'd eventually get better at guitar... but amazingly he somehow continues to just get worse. No Jerry, no Dead. Its that simple.
01-28-04 02:06 PM
glencar You would think they would just give it up. W/O Garcia, it's over moby.
01-28-04 02:10 PM
Martha I'll take that to heart macdaddy. Govt. Mule is going to be in my neck of the woods next Thursday night. It's a GA show The Mule is opening for Kid Crock. Do you know who is on bass for the Mule, and who the keyboardist is perchance?

Thanks for posting this info by the way! Warren is the man!
01-28-04 02:21 PM
mac_daddy Andy Hess is the Mule's permanent bass player now. I cant remember the keyboadist atm, but it will come to me...

complete tour info is here:
http://www.mule.net/tour.asp

I give Four Flicks the "Music DVD of the Year" award, but damn if the Mule's DVD didn't come in a VERY close second. It chronicles the 6 hour performance at last year's Jazzfest in NOLA and includes an audio CD component (which is a sweet boon). Everybody and their mother is there - definitely one of the finest live musical performances of 2003.

for all things Mule, check:

http://www.mule.net/home.asp

Have fun at the show, Martha, should you decide to attend

[Edited by mac_daddy]
01-28-04 02:29 PM
mac_daddy looks like he is doing a tour on his off nights with Kid Rock - the guy is a f*cking machine, and he brings it EVERY night!!!

anyway, I see Bernie Worrell is going to be sitting in on the 19th at the Starland. With Kid Rock they might be a trio only, I really don't know. I sent an email to my buddy who will know, and as soon as I hear back, I'll let you know...
01-28-04 02:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
You would think they would just give it up. W/O Garcia, it's over moby.

No. NEVER give up. Where I come from they call that suicide....which is still frowned upon amongst us hayshakers.
01-28-04 02:59 PM
glencar I too frown upon suicide.
01-28-04 03:26 PM
Factory Girl Why would G. Mule even associate with Kid Rock???

Is it b/c of Pammy?
01-28-04 03:58 PM
Saint Sway I saw Kid Rock come out one nite and jam a few songs with Govt Mule. They did 2 Sabbath covers - War Pigs & Sweet Leaf. Audley Freed from the Black Crowes and Jason Newsted from Metallica were onstage too. It was pretty heavy.

I think Kid Rock is cheese. But that was a fun nite.

btw, the new Mule bassist also used to play with the Black Crowes. But the real show is the drummer - Matt Apts. Hes a machine - a mix of Watts finese w/Bonhams power. Even kinda looks like a 70s era Charlie
01-28-04 05:14 PM
Martha
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

But the real show is the drummer - Matt Apts. Hes a machine - a mix of Watts finese w/Bonhams power. Even kinda looks like a 70s era Charlie

Shit...Matt Apts..that sells it for me. I'm goin'!!!! Thanks for all the info everyone!
01-28-04 05:41 PM
mac_daddy opening for Kid Rock gives them a much wider audience - my bet is Mule blows the Kid off the stage...

the folks I know are going to tape Mule, and then bail...

____

have fun, Martha!

as Warren sometimes says, "Matt motherfuckin Abts on the drums!"
01-29-04 12:10 AM
T&A The Dead were already better with Jimmy Herring in tow than the GD had been for the last 10 years of the act. The addition of Warren really makes this band top-notch. Warren was already a semi-permanent member of Phil Lesh & Friends anyway - so this gig won't represent a great leap forward - he'd already been singing quite a few Jerry songs - he sings a very mean Sugaree, for instance.

I will certainly be seeing them along the way this summer - my daughter's best friend's mom is best friends with Phil - so I'll probably get another backstage pass to a Bay Area gig as I did last year. It's so cool these guys got it back together last year - a very special band this is....

BEST VIEWED HIGH