ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
The surreality show

Roundhay Park, Leeds - 25th July 1982 - Last show of the tour
The next tour-show was more than 7 years later!!
© 1982, 2004 Billy Boll
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wher'e All White Now (Stripes Article In Todays Sun) Return to archive
01-22-04 04:13 AM
Honky Tonk Man Taken from todays Sun newspaper

By BRIAN FLYNN
in Detroit

THE White Stripes are the hottest band around — and also the weirdest.

The Detroit duo, Jack White and Meg White, have been hailed by talent-spotting DJ John Peel as the most important thing in music since Jimi Hendrix.

But their unique, stripped-back style of rock gradually earned them a cult following.

Jack, 28, and 27-year-old Meg first played in the UK in 2001 at a gig in a North London pub.

Since then the pair have gone from strength to strength — their last album Elephant was a No1 smash-hit, selling 2.5million copies worldwide, and they have been nominated for Best International Group and Best International Album at next month’s Brit Awards.

But their rise to fame and fortune was the most unlikely, strangest and secretive fairytale in showbiz . . . and Jack and Meg did their best to fuel the mystery. The pair, who dress in a trademark red and white uniform, claimed they were brother and sister.

But, after visiting their hometown of Detroit, The Sun can exclusively confirm rumours that they were once husband and wife.

Jack took Meg’s surname when they wed in September 1996 in a hippy-style ceremony in front of around 30 close family on a farm outside Detroit.

Meg’s uncle Doug White, 53, says: “They had a small wedding. It was real sudden.

“Meg just said to us, ‘Oh, yeah. By the way, I’m getting married this weekend. Would you like to come over?’

“It was like a 1960s gathering. Meg was barefoot in a lacy, frilly white dress. She had flowers in her hair, daisies which she picked out of their garden.”

Jack — who was born John Gillis, one of ten brothers and sisters — met Meg in a coffee bar in 1994.

He was scraping a living as a £3-an-hour apprentice upholsterer and planning a career lining coffins.

Meg worked as a barmaid and clothes stores assistant. But Jack was already a class act on the guitar and, after their marriage, Jack persuaded Meg to learn the drums and the band was formed.

Nirvana fan Jack, who hates the rap music spouted by fellow Detroit mega-star Eminem, was hell-bent on calling the duo Bazooka or Soda Powder until Meg plucked The White Stripes from her love of peppermint sweets.

They played their first gig in Detroit in 1997.

The couple spent their evenings recording tracks in their bedroom and playing local gigs to audiences of just 20 or 30.

Jack saved up to open his own shop, Third Man Upholstery, and drove an old yellow van as he tried to settle into married life.

Brian Muldoon, Jack’s neighbour and best man at the wedding, says: “Jack had a yellow truck, a bright yellow shop and even the tools he bought were yellow. It was weird.”

In the evenings the couple would load their van with old 1960s musical gear and try to make a name for themselves in local clubs. They finally cut their self-titled first album in 1999 after recording the tracks in the attic of Jack’s parents’ house.

But just as they began to gain a following, their marriage began to crumble under the pressure of Jack’s single-minded authoritarian style, and living in each other’s pockets at home.

That summer they landed a crucial UK tour which turned them into superstars — and they were able to put their personal problems aside for the sake of the band.

Brian Muldoon says: “They were married so young but fortunately they weren’t married long enough to really hate each other.

“And they were clever enough to see what was available to them together.”

Suddenly, after four years as non-entities they became the world’s most sought-after band within the space of a week, despite having no record contract, lawyer, manager or publicist.

Jack, who lives a few miles from Meg, appears in the movie Cold Mountain and is currently dating his co-star Renee Zellweger.

But last night he was on stage again with his ex-wife at London’s Alexandra Palace and rocked in unison to a sell-out crowd — now that is strange.
01-22-04 04:48 AM
Zeeta Honky Tonk Man 'I have tix for 30 Jan Brixton Academy did you manage to get hold of any!"?

Should be MINT!
01-22-04 07:54 AM
Honky Tonk Man Tickets for the White Stripes? I must admit, i didn't evan know they were playing there!

Alex
01-22-04 08:31 AM
Zeeta Yeah extra date I think!

£30 quid though!

They are still on sale I believe.
01-22-04 03:39 PM
Honky Tonk Man Arggh, checked at lunch time and they sold out!

I have two other options. Both Black Rebel and the Libertines have tickets remaining for their gigs at Brixton, but there is a problem. Only seats left! Sitting down really blows at these kind of gigs!

Alex
01-22-04 03:42 PM
glencar Is thirty quid considered a lot or a great deal?
01-22-04 05:23 PM
Gazza Pretty much average price for a well known act.

Only the bigger box office stars - and generally older acts - would charge above that
01-22-04 07:38 PM
Factory Girl Go, Alex!! A tasty young muffin (as yourself) will have no problem getting a tic!

I like the WS, but can't listen to them all the time.
01-22-04 10:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot When was that article published? Did someone get paid for writing it?

It's rubbish.

Everything in that article is more than a year old!!! No new info...nothing of any worth...it's retarded!

I'm not up on my Brit papers...but I'm betting the Sun is a trash tabloid. Am I right?

Hey Zeeta & Alex...and anyone else who likes the Stripes brand of music. Check out The Buff Medways. It's Billy Childish's(of Pop Rivets, and Thee Headcoats fame...among many others) latest band. If you get a chance go see 'em. Thank me later.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
01-23-04 04:06 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Hey Zeeta & Alex...and anyone else who likes the Stripes brand of music. Check out The Buff Medways. It's Billy Childish's(of Pop Rivets, and Thee Headcoats fame...among many others) latest band. If you get a chance go see 'em. Thank me later.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]

I saw them open for the Libertines last year. I was very impressed. They did a great version of the Jimi Hendrix song, Fire.

They're an interesting bunch. They are from a place called Strood, in Kent and are named after a rare breed of extinct chicken. Billy Childish was born in the same hospital as me.

You know your music SS, but even I'm surprised you have heard of this band!

Alex
01-23-04 06:02 AM
Zeeta I'll give 'em a listen Stoney, cheers.

Yes indeed The Sun is a shite Brit tabloid - I prefer the Guardian but The Star is by far the best trashy tabloid!

Alex, I am in full embrace of The Libertines at the moment! Got the album ages ago but it really is a grower. love What a Waster and Up the Bracket tunes.

"what a fuckin' waster, what a divy, you pissed it all up the wall you two bob cunt!" gotta love that shit!
01-23-04 09:11 AM
Factory Girl Zeeta & Alex have you embraced Raw Power yet?

PS. Hey Z-How's the cat adoption business coming along? rotfl
01-23-04 09:55 AM
Zeeta Oh yeah in full group hug with Iggy and raw power!!

Cat adoption is fine - I have been adopted by a lovely family. Sheeba every night! MMMM
01-23-04 10:23 AM
Factory Girl Zeeta, you gotta try Cat Nip!
01-24-04 01:05 PM
Scot Rocks Going to see The White Stripes tomorrow SECC, cant wait!!!!, will kick ass indeed, going to see the Libertines in March at the Barrowlands, can't wait my fav. band of the moment, don't look back into the Sun, the last single was such a good song as well.

SS would recomend you check out a band called Franz Ferdinand, their debut single got to no.3 in the charts here, great band been causing the biggest buzz around Glasgow for the last few months. I think their album is out next week should be worth checking out.

Mark
01-25-04 07:49 AM
Honky Tonk Man Yes FG, I have more than embraced Raw Power. Been playing and loving it so much that I think I’ve OD'd!

Wow Mark, you’re lucky. You’ve got some great gigs coming up. The Libertines will be fucking fantastic. I saw them when Pete Doherty first did a vanishing act and they still great. I just love their 'don't give a fuck' swagger and attitude. They just look like they rolled out of bed all the time, which is what's so great about them.

ARGHHHHH, not another Franz Ferdinand fan! I really despise that song. Mark, your a student, right? My girlfriend likes them, all students like them. I don't.

Alex
01-25-04 06:25 PM
Factory Girl Alex, I thought your girlfriend was Beyonce! Was I wrong??

01-25-04 06:27 PM
Factory Girl PS. I'm a street walking cheetah...
01-26-04 02:06 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
PS. I'm a street walking cheetah...

I bet you are!

Beyonce will ALWAYS be my girlfreind. The one i have over her eis just for when Beyonce is not around. Which.... errr.. is quite often.

Alex
01-26-04 02:22 PM
Factory Girl So Alex, Beyonce is your conceptual girlfriend??
01-26-04 05:12 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
So Alex, Beyonce is your conceptual girlfriend??

Uh Huh
01-30-04 06:24 AM
Zeeta Seeing them live tonight! wooooooooo
01-30-04 09:33 AM
Factory Girl Z, you're seeing the WS? Have fun!
01-31-04 09:14 AM
Zeeta Easily one of the best live performances I have ever seen!

Brixton Academy was an okay venue and Meg is seriously HOT!

BEST VIEWED HIGH