ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Commemorating another year of the "superblow" threads!
© Unknown author with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ian Stewart Return to archive
1st February 2007 09:17 AM
Tornarse I'am from Pittenweem birthplace of Ian Stewart.Next year would have been his 70th birthday and i'm trying to gather as much info as possible on him.I have already recieved a wealth of info from his cousins who stay in the village,but its video clips of him i'm trying to find. I have already have lets spend the night together, the 1981 tour of the US which has some excellent footage of him. Is there anymore good footage of him out there.

Many Thanks

Tornarse
1st February 2007 09:23 AM
steel driving hammer Ian on keys...

1st February 2007 09:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
Tornarse wrote:
I'am from Pittenweem birthplace of Ian Stewart.Next year would have been his 70th birthday and i'm trying to gather as much info as possible on him.I have already recieved a wealth of info from his cousins who stay in the village,but its video clips of him i'm trying to find. I have already have lets spend the night together, the 1981 tour of the US which has some excellent footage of him. Is there anymore good footage of him out there.

Many Thanks

Tornarse

Welcome - good to see you here.

Not sure if youve noticed, but we do have a special page on this site as a tribute to Stu

http://www.rocksoff.org/ian.htm

Most of what is out there on video, I would imagine ties in with what Stones footage there is with Stu playing with them. There are a few other items though, such as the "Alexis Korner & Friends" concert in April 1983 which marked the 25th anniversary of the Marquee Club and which was televised and later released on DVD (in 2002). Bill and Stu also play on it.

If youre doing or planning anything special to mark Stu's 70th birthday, keep in touch with us and hopefully some of us can help. It's an anniversary that should definitely be marked.

Great user name, by the way.
1st February 2007 09:48 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Tornarse wrote:
I have already have lets spend the night together, the 1981 tour of the US

Wasn't he on the 82 tour too?

Don't know why they switched saxaphones but I think Stu was there.

That end of Dirty Work piano melts my heart, everytime.
1st February 2007 10:12 AM
Tornarse Thanks guy's for the quick replies,

Was the 1982 tour on DVD ?

The day Mick Jagger came to Pittenweem

http://news.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id=105042007

All male Pittenweemers are called tornarses, the village was so poor at one time that everybody wore their trousers till their arse was hanging out them. Hence the name,so Ian was also a Tornarse.Hope you did not think it was something else ???.

Had a nice letter from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame after i had written to them to inform them that Ian's name was missing from the Stones entry.

"Hello, ian stewart was indeed inducted as a member of the rolling stones, and many apologies for his birthdate not being included in the list of members. we are working on the launch of a new website and will hopefully be able to remedy the error soon. thank you for pointing this out, and thanks for thinking of the rock and roll hall of fame. have a greaet holiday seeason".

best,

Meredith E. Rutledge
Assistant Curator
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
1 Key Plaza
Cleveland, Ohio 44114

Many Kind Thanks

Tornarse.
[Edited by Tornarse]
1st February 2007 10:17 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Tornarse wrote:
I'am from Pittenweem birthplace of Ian Stewart.Next year would have been his 70th birthday and i'm trying to gather as much info as possible on him.I have already recieved a wealth of info from his cousins who stay in the village,but its video clips of him i'm trying to find. I have already have lets spend the night together, the 1981 tour of the US which has some excellent footage of him. Is there anymore good footage of him out there.

Many Thanks

Tornarse

• There'a a great book about him, a little bit expensive but worth buying if you have that GREAT purpose; don't miss it (if you can afford it LOL) http://www.out-take.co.uk/ot/stu.php

• I have uploaded a couple of videos of him playing, one of them posted above by Steelie, both from the same show

• You can find a great video of him speaking and can download it from our tracker from free in the LET IT BLEED video. http://rollingstones.kicks-ass.org:6969/

• LINK 1: Bill German's interview.

• LINK 2: The answer that Andrew Loog Oldham gave me when I asked him why he fired Stu. Read this babies.

• LINK 3: The Lisa Robinson interview for Creem Magazine in 1976 I transcribed and posted.

• LINK 4: The liner notes from the back of the LP he produced for "Rocket 88"; I posted this in another message board managed by a friend with great people over there.
1st February 2007 10:26 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl ..an additional link, our last years's thread about him, posted to commemorate 21 years of his death

http://novogate.com/board/968/Archives/12%2D21%2D2006/233533-1.html
[Edited by Gazza]
1st February 2007 10:28 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl In case you're not familiar with this message board a thread can have multiple pages so here you go!

Page 2 http://novogate.com/board/968/Archives/12%2D21%2D2006/233533-2.html

Page 3 http://novogate.com/board/968/Archives/12%2D21%2D2006/233533-3.html
1st February 2007 10:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
Tornarse wrote:
Thanks guy's for the quick replies,

Was the 1982 tour on DVD ?

The day Mick Jagger came to Pittenweem

http://news.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id=105042007

All male Pittenweemers are called tornarses, the village was so poor at one time that everybody wore their trousers till their arse was hanging out them. Hence the name,so Ian was also a Tornarse.Hope you did not think it was something else ???.

LOL..well it just reminded me of Martin Clunes' reply when it was mentioned in an interview (Michael Parkinson I think) that part of his appeal was down to his 'unusual' appearance - he quipped that one journalist had said that "he had "a face like a torn arse"... Anyway, thats a hilarious name you all have...

There's no official document of Ian's final tour as a Stone, however there's a quite wonderful pro shot DVD of the final 45 minutes of the 2nd Wembley show (26/6/82) in circulation (its on our bit torrent tracker and available for download)

I'd never heard that story about Jagger's trip up to Fife in 2003. They always seem to stay at the Balmoral when theyre playing Scotland regerdless of whether the shows are in Edinburgh or Glasgow (they did so in 1999 as well, although Im not sure where they were last year - I heard they went back to England after the show, although I dont know if thats true). Thats a great article. I'd heard about Stu being honoured in a new song - is that the same Ian Rankin that wrote "The Wasp Factory"?
1st February 2007 10:52 AM
Tornarse Gazza,

Here are the words,

THE SIXTH STONE
Words by Ian Rankin, music by Aidan Moffat and the Best Ofs

All the way from Pittenweem
to the rock 'n' roll dream,
all the way from East Neuk, Fife,
to the R&B life,

Down in dear old London town,
you were the conscience of the band,
and when those Stones they had to roll,
it was you that drove the van,

all the way from East Neuk, Fife
to the R&B life,

But your face just didn't fit,
chiselled like a lump of coal,
and as the groupies came and went,
you'd be on the eighteenth hole,

Far away from Pittenweem
with the rock 'n' roll dream,
far away from East Neuk, Fife,
with the R&B life,

So from Beggars through to Exile,
you dug out rhythms like black diamonds,
but cruising down Route 66,
did you dream of lochs and highlands?

Did you dream of Pittenweem,
not the rock 'n' roll dream,
did you dream of East Neuk, Fife,
or the R&B life?

all the way from East Neuk, Fife,
Until the end of your life...

Kind Regards

Tornarse
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)