ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Commemorating another year of the "superblow" threads!
© Unknown author with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones should play the Super Bowl every year! Return to archive
1st February 2007 01:04 AM
steel driving hammer Since they were a band before the Super Bowl even started!

1st February 2007 01:28 AM
Jiving Sister Jan I agree.
That was the best Super Bowl ever.
My husband had football and I had The Rolling Stones.
1st February 2007 07:39 AM
Gazza Once was more than enough.

Call me old-fashioned or a purist, but I personally dont care for the Stones being reduced to a mere sideshow for anyone or anything.
1st February 2007 08:00 AM
Nellcote Gazza, I'm surprised at your comment. You follow sports, you know how huge the Super Bowl is. The 1/2 time act, in some years, can be larger than the game, really anything but a sideshow. It's a primo position which most acts would kill for. Now, could I see Neil Young there? No. With the Stones, it's right in their wheelhouse. It's a total American invention, as the marketing powers to be want to sell ads, period. But it has had it's memorable moments. Much as I like to admit I do not enjoy Bono's save the world efforts, I must admit (there it is again...) one of the more powerful moments I've ever been witness to in live performances was Super Bowl 36, when U2 was playing, banners were let down, with the names of the deceased from 9/11 shown. As I looked around at the people I was next to, the emotion of the moment was striking. Be it Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction, or, the unusual paring of Aerosmith & Nsync, or the spot on performance of
Whitney Houston before she was Mrs. Bobby Brown, the 1/2 time portion of the Super Bowl is the thang...And, I will probably get fined $100 for each mention of Super Bowl, without expressed written permission, by some NFL weenie....
1st February 2007 08:20 AM
Gazza I'm fully aware of the appeal of the game (I watch it most years, too) - but I'd feel the same regardless of what sport it was, or what country it was in.

Don't get me wrong - it was fun to see the Stones play live on TV and the performance was solid enough - but there's just something 'artificial' about seeing the greatest rock n roll band in the world being a side attraction (and thats ALL they were. Most people who tuned in did so to watch the game, and the same applies to those who bought tickets for it) and playing in front of a hired audience who are told when to jump around and who the TV companies even tried to impose age limits.

They only did the show for the publicity and even that didnt work. Sales of their new album were still shit the following week.

As far as that event was concerned, despite the 'prestige' that goes with being the chosen performer, the Stones were really nothing more than the cabaret. To me, they shouldnt be playing second fiddle at any event to anyone. If Aerosmith and U2 are content to do so, thats their prerogative. As I dont consider either to be the greatest band of all time, it's not my concern.

Agree with you about the post 9-11 impact of U2's performance in 2002 - but then they tried to make a statement so on that occasion, it worked wonderfully and even watching it 4,000 miles away, it was an emotional and powerful moment. The Stones werent attempting to make any such statement, so it remained a sideshow, if an entertaining one. Oh, and it also bugged me that they allowed themselves to be subject to such ridiculous, hypocritical, petty and archaic censorship.

[Edited by Gazza]
1st February 2007 08:41 AM
ExileInLA
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Gazza, I'm surprised at your comment. You follow sports, you know how huge the Super Bowl is. The 1/2 time act, in some years, can be larger than the game, really anything but a sideshow.

so big that ZZ Top embarrassed themselves up there with Dan Akroyd and the LAME Blues Brothers 2000 bit....

so big that Aerosmith was forced to sing with Britney AND Justin...

so big that the only thing people remember about Janet Jackson's half time show was her nipple-covered titty - NOT THE SONGS SHE DID...

the Super Bowl half time show is bull shit, much like what the game itself has turned into over the last 10 years...ads and stunts rule SB Sunday...not the game...
1st February 2007 08:46 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
ExileInLA wrote:
the Super Bowl half time show is bull shit, much like what the game itself has turned into over the last 10 years...ads and stunts rule SB Sunday...not the game...

You're right, I was drunk when I made that comment and had Stones fever.
1st February 2007 08:55 AM
Some Guy Start me up every year?
1st February 2007 08:57 AM
steel driving hammer Start Me Up everyday...
1st February 2007 09:29 AM
Spru Personally, as a life-long Steelers fan and a life-long Stones fan, last year's Super Bowl was as good as it gets. And being that the first half was pretty boring last year, you could say the Stones were the highlight of the day until Fast Willie Parker broke his Super Bowl record TD run. Steelers and Stones forever!
[Edited by Spru]
1st February 2007 10:35 AM
Gazza
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Start me up every year?

yeah..maybe if they do it every year, by around 2037 the world will finally be allowed to hear the word 'cum'....
1st February 2007 11:00 AM
rogerriffin
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Once was more than enough.

Call me old-fashioned or a purist, but I personally dont care for the Stones being reduced to a mere sideshow for anyone or anything.

Amen.
1st February 2007 12:10 PM
sirmoonie Greatest day in Stones history - playing along side the victorious Pittsburgh Steelers (a.k.a Nation).
1st February 2007 01:10 PM
Doxa
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Once was more than enough.

Exactly. I remember once watching the opening show of Los Angeles Olympic Games and there was Lionel Richie performing, and I thought to myself that my heroes never are reduced to play as such a cheap sideshow of something bigger than them. Perhaps some fans of that sports thinks that is sort of honour to have opportunity to play there, but for me it's like having a quick sex in the middle of confirmation ceromonies. Nothing wrong in that, but would you do it in the altar?

But anyway. Funny part of the whole episode was sencoring some of Jagger's lyrics, hmm... like 41 years ago? The world really've changed a lot... Fuck yeah.

- Doxa
1st February 2007 02:47 PM
BabiKeef No I think once was fine.
1st February 2007 05:03 PM
fireontheplatter i would much rather hear satisfaction again than red corvette...

go bears
1st February 2007 05:08 PM
pdog no matter who the talent for halftime is, it's a fucking football game... At least they're trying.... Don't expect any repeat performances.
I look forward to Prince performing than seeing two teams I could give a rats ass about play!
1st February 2007 05:10 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Spru wrote:
Personally, as a life-long Steelers fan and a life-long Stones fan, last year's Super Bowl was as good as it gets. And being that the first half was pretty boring last year, you could say the Stones were the highlight of the day until Fast Willie Parker broke his Super Bowl record TD run. Steelers and Stones forever!
[Edited by Spru]

Oh for the good old days!!!!!!!!!!!!...Sure was special!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)