ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Commemorating another year of the "superblow" threads!
© Unknown author with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: DVD-R Lifespan (NSC) Return to archive
29th January 2007 09:10 PM
deuce So I've got my eyes on a DVD set on Ebay. They are all DVD-R's though, so I was wondering how long the lifespan of a DVD-R is? I don't want to dish out a bunch of money and then have them only last for 2 years.
29th January 2007 11:13 PM
steel driving hammer Well they last longer than a dvd player.
29th January 2007 11:31 PM
mojoman
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Well they last longer than a dvd player.

so its about 2 years?
30th January 2007 08:07 AM
egon depends on brand of dvd AND brand of dvd burner

especially the dvd's/burners from the early days
were not that good.

pretty sure if you buy them & then make a "good" copy
you'll be safe.
30th January 2007 12:38 PM
Dan I already have a bunch that wont copy. And just traded with a few idiots who don't know how to package properly.
31st January 2007 01:09 PM
kovach Not sure how close CDR's relate to DVDR's, but I remember reading that, again depending on the quality of the CDR, that they could outlive pressed CD's.

Now some early pressed CD's were of poor quality, the coating would come loose, allowing the metal to tarnish, leading to failure...

I know some companies make 'archival' CDR's that they claim will last 100-200 years. How they can validate that claim is beyond me...
31st January 2007 03:39 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. On the subject of DVD-R's, would anyone recommend DVD-R's over regular recordable VHS tapes? Reason I ask is because I'm considering buying bootleg copies of old 30s and 40s mystery and horror flicks from a company called Sinister Cinema. They offer their stuff on both DVD-R and VHS. I know the picture quality of DVD-R is of course better, but these are old movies in 16mm so picture quality isn't that important, I'm more concerned about longevity. I've got movies recorded on blank tapes that are over 15 years old and, despite a few lines and scratches, they still play perfectly fine. Can DVD-R compare to that?
31st January 2007 04:12 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Steamboat Bill, Jr. wrote:
On the subject of DVD-R's, would anyone recommend DVD-R's over regular recordable VHS tapes? Reason I ask is because I'm considering buying bootleg copies of old 30s and 40s mystery and horror flicks from a company called Sinister Cinema. They offer their stuff on both DVD-R and VHS. I know the picture quality of DVD-R is of course better, but these are old movies in 16mm so picture quality isn't that important, I'm more concerned about longevity. I've got movies recorded on blank tapes that are over 15 years old and, despite a few lines and scratches, they still play perfectly fine. Can DVD-R compare to that?

I would highly recommend discs over VHS tapes, I've had a old tape that I lost because the spool inside the tape broke off, so it's good-bye tape, I've had all my VHS & 8 m.m. tapes convereted to discs.
On the subject of DVD-R discs, they were the first to come out, then DVD+R discs happened, I have a unit that converts tapes into DVD while their playing, only thing is they only take X8speed discs, now everything is going to 16 speed, so I have to buy up as many 8 speed as I can find to use this unit, but discs will certainly last longer then tapes.
31st January 2007 04:21 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. Cool, thanks for your help.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)