ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Commemorating another year of the "superblow" threads!
© Unknown author with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: HAMMERSMITH TO CLOSE Return to archive
29th January 2007 01:52 PM
mojoman from pollstar

The End Of Hammersmith Palais
Updated 00:27 PST Mon, Jan 29 2007
Music fans lost their fight to save Hammersmith Palais as a venue with the January 22 announcement that the local authority has approved its teardown to make way for a restaurant and office block.
Despite campaigners' continued attempts to have the building listed, Fulham and Hammersmith Council have approved proposals by property developers Parkway Properties to knock it down.
The development of the venue hinged on conservation area of consent being granted, which has now been given the go-ahead.
"We recognise the contribution the Palais has made to the west London music scene, but the golden days of the club are long gone," Hammersmith and Fulham councillor Lucy Ibimy told the BBC.
During its 90-year history, the legendary venue has played hosts to the likes of U2, Sex Pistols The Rolling Stones, and was immortalized by The Clash song "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais." It has also staged the Shockwaves NME Awards for the last four years, and will play host to this year's ceremony on March 1.
Kasabian (February 13) and Jamie T (March 2) play the venue as part of this year's Shockwaves.
30th January 2007 12:17 PM
Honky Tonk Man This is a shame. I saw The Manic Street Preachers there a few years ago. It was a proper old traditional theatre venue. The Hammersmith Odeon in nicer however. I think they've had a refurbish in recent years as it's all very nicely decked out there.
30th January 2007 01:36 PM
Voodoo Scrounge I am gutted to hear about this. I have seen many bands at this venue and regardless of how good or bad the particular band on the night were, I have always had a good time there.

I saw AC/DC there a few years back, when they decided to cap the price of the tickets. And the very next night i was due to go and see the Darkness. I remember getting absolutley wasted and ended up "Rockin out" with Justin Hawkins (former lead singer of the darkness) in the crowd!

The next night I turned up to see the Darkness and Justin poited at me and gave me a Military style salute.

Classic!
30th January 2007 01:39 PM
pdog This is the CBGB's of London, no?
30th January 2007 01:41 PM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
pdog wrote:
This is the CBGB's of London, no?

I dont understand. What is CBGB's?
30th January 2007 04:17 PM
mojoman
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

ouch!!!
30th January 2007 04:19 PM
pdog
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

Just a place that saved rock and roll...
30th January 2007 04:54 PM
glencar CBGB's is on the way out too, no?
30th January 2007 04:54 PM
glencar Maybe they'll open up versions of these places in Vegas.
31st January 2007 06:15 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
glencar wrote:
Maybe they'll open up versions of these places in Vegas.

No doubt they will
31st January 2007 06:46 AM
corgi37 Mc-CBGB's & Starbucks Palais?
31st January 2007 07:20 AM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:
This is the CBGB's of London, no?

Nah.

If youre making the comparison due to some perceived link with punk, there isnt one, really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammersmith_Palais

The Marquee Club, despite it's age and the fact that when the Stones debuted there it was primarily a jazz venue, has actually more of a link with punk than most London music venues. Likewise with the 100 Club.

[Edited by Gazza]
31st January 2007 07:40 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
CBGB's is on the way out too, no?

Closed last October. Patti Smith played the final show.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6045796.stm
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)