ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Commemorating another year of the "superblow" threads!
© Unknown author with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Led Zeppelin tour this summer? Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st February 2007 08:05 AM
Gazza
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:

Gazza,what do you think would be a bigger grossing tour. A Zep reunion or a Pink Floyd reunion.(neither of which is likely to happen unfortunately)

IMO a Led Zeppelin tour could easily outgross and outsell ANY tour in history. Even the Stones.

It has been 27 years since they toured at all, 30 years since they played in the US ,they still have a massive fanbase and a couple of generations of fans who have never seen them.

In some ways, it says a lot about both bands that until now they havent done a tour like this. It would be very easy to bury a hatchet for a couple of months if it meant standing onstage with someone you dislike and getting paid about $100 million each for the trauma in coping with the ordeal.

For what its worth (and you probably saw this as you post there), a poster on IORR who says he's in the concert biz was told by someone at Clear Channel that this tour IS going to happen and will be announced in March.

Whilst I never expected a Led Zep tour, I DO actually think Pink Floyd will do a reunion tour at some point. I'd never claim to be an authority on them, but the genuinely good vibe between them at Live8 may be signs of a slow thaw in their relationships. I just get the impression that they're realising that theyre not getting any younger and there are more important things in life than ego-trips and petty squabbles.

[Edited by Gazza]
1st February 2007 08:12 AM
Nellcote Would they bring out Bonzo's son as drummer, or, could he have a problem with the comparisons? I'd see this show, however, recent vocalizations by Robert Plant would have me a bit concerned...
1st February 2007 08:41 AM
Factory Girl
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Would they bring out Bonzo's son as drummer, or, could he have a problem with the comparisons? I'd see this show, however, recent vocalizations by Robert Plant would have me a bit concerned...

They should use the former drummer from the Black Crowes. He suits Pagey's playing well.

I gotta say that Page and Black Crowes was one of the best shows I've ever seen...and I've seen plenty.
1st February 2007 10:49 AM
Gazza
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Would they bring out Bonzo's son as drummer, or, could he have a problem with the comparisons?

according to the rumour, that's precisely who the drummer is planned to be.
1st February 2007 11:23 AM
Nellcote Here's hoping he channels the father for hitting the skins, and not the legacy for the hooch!
Did Plant make that one off re-group of the Honeymooners yet? I read where he shelved the rest of the plans after Eteregun passed...
1st February 2007 01:10 PM
nanatod
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It has been...30 years since they played in the US

They closed out the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary show at Madison Square Garden in 1988, 19 years ago. Jason Bonham was on drums.
1st February 2007 01:23 PM
pdog Elvis is the opening act....
1st February 2007 03:58 PM
Gazza
quote:
nanatod wrote:

They closed out the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary show at Madison Square Garden in 1988, 19 years ago. Jason Bonham was on drums.

yep...and they also played Live Aid in 85 (with Phil Collins), but I meant as a touring ensemble.
1st February 2007 04:55 PM
muncy23
quote:
Gazza wrote:

IMO a Led Zeppelin tour could easily outgross and outsell ANY tour in history. Even the Stones.

It has been 27 years since they toured at all, 30 years since they played in the US ,they still have a massive fanbase and a couple of generations of fans who have never seen them.

In some ways, it says a lot about both bands that until now they havent done a tour like this. It would be very easy to bury a hatchet for a couple of months if it meant standing onstage with someone you dislike and getting paid about $100 million each for the trauma in coping with the ordeal.

For what its worth (and you probably saw this as you post there), a poster on IORR who says he's in the concert biz was told by someone at Clear Channel that this tour IS going to happen and will be announced in March.

Whilst I never expected a Led Zep tour, I DO actually think Pink Floyd will do a reunion tour at some point. I'd never claim to be an authority on them, but the genuinely good vibe between them at Live8 may be signs of a slow thaw in their relationships. I just get the impression that they're realising that theyre not getting any younger and there are more important things in life than ego-trips and petty squabbles.

[Edited by Gazza]

They could never out gross the stones....They would have to play 200 dates to do that. Zep does still have a following, but it is nowhere near what it once was. I would go see them, but i think the majority of society will see them as nowhere near the band they once were and wouldnt waste the money on em. My guess is they do an arena tour and tickets are $50-180
1st February 2007 05:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
muncy23 wrote:

They could never out gross the stones....They would have to play 200 dates to do that. Zep does still have a following, but it is nowhere near what it once was. I would go see them, but i think the majority of society will see them as nowhere near the band they once were and wouldnt waste the money on em. My guess is they do an arena tour and tickets are $50-180

The majority of society feels the same about the Stones, muncy. Or any act for that matter.

The amount of sales for a live album recorded over three decades earlier would suggest that following is still pretty substantial. (Unlike the Stones' following, their fans havent given up on buying their records)

As the age of their average fanbase is similar to that of the Stones, they could easily charge the same price levels as the Stones do. And would probably sell more tickets because they havent toured in decades, whereas the Stones are touring all the time. A lot of Zeppelin's potential audience have never seen them. The Stones have played almost everywhere there is to play in the last decade. Even Omaha.

Additionally, theyd have no serious competition for the audience's dollars this year. No Stones US tour, No U2 tour, probably no McCartney tour. A free run.

They could name their price IMO.
[Edited by Gazza]
1st February 2007 11:53 PM
sweetcharmedlife [quote]Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

Thnaks Gazza. I saw Gilmour solo last year and he had some odd choices for the Floyd songs he played. For example he did Arnold Layne. A very old obscure Floyd tune from the Syd Barrett days. I think he did another old Floyd tune. Plus he did a couple latter day Floyd tunes after watters left.

[Edited by sweetcharmedlife]
[Edited by sweetcharmedlife]
1st February 2007 11:57 PM
ebmp
quote:
nanatod wrote:

And Page SUCKED at this show. Stairway to Heaven was awful

2nd February 2007 04:39 AM
corgi37 Hate to say it, but i agree a LZ reunion tour would outgross anyone on the planet. It would be stadium. It would be massive. And the audience will have 99% more young people than a Stones show.
2nd February 2007 09:08 AM
Poison Dart While a Led Zep tour would be huge. I doubt they would do a never ending tour like A Bigger Bang that would really rack up big numbers.
2nd February 2007 09:46 AM
purrcafe
quote:

Plus he did a couple latter day Floyd tunes after watters left. Like Bike.

Huh? Bike was on the Piper at the Gates of Dawn, the very first Floyd album.
2nd February 2007 11:55 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
They should use the former drummer from the Black Crowes. He suits Pagey's playing well.

I gotta say that Page and Black Crowes was one of the best shows I've ever seen...and I've seen plenty.

^ WORD.

so true! Steve kicked ass. Bonzo left huge shoes to filled but Gorman not only filled them but he kicked a few doors in with them!! That Page/Crowes tour was so killer that I think its the one thing thats been holding Page/Plant back from a reunion. IMHO, the Crowes out Zepped Zep. I'd put that Page/Crowes "Live At The Greek" disc up against anyones favorite Zep boot anyday and it would win over even the most ardent Zep fan.

fyi... one of the reasons Steve Gorman initially held out of the Crowes reunion was because he was convinced thru talks with Page & Plant that they were going to tour and he would be the drummer.

that was back in the end of '04 and still nothings come of it yet. I really dont think we'll see another Zep tour. Its become like the Faces reunion rumors.. .. just talk... no action...
2nd February 2007 12:43 PM
Saint Sway this was the shit
2nd February 2007 01:30 PM
nanatod
quote:
ebmp wrote:
And Page SUCKED at this show. Stairway to Heaven was awful

I may have been the only person who left the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary party early, and missed the zep reunion.

I think the best "zepplinized" concert I've ever been to was when avant garde vocalist Diamonda Galas toured with John Paul Jones on bass and pedal steel and Denny Fongheiser on drums. Their version of Communication Breakdown, for example, blew away anything I've ever head Led Zep itself do.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)