ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Commemorating another year of the "superblow" threads!
© Unknown author with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Worst Video Ever? Let's Work Return to archive Page: 1 2
25th January 2007 01:03 PM
The Wick This is just horrid. Jagger's tribute to Maggie Thatcher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHByn1Skq7M
25th January 2007 02:27 PM
egon I dare not click on that link.
25th January 2007 02:46 PM
fireontheplatter a blast from the past. i think he could do a bunch better nowadays.
i like it
25th January 2007 04:50 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
a blast from the past. i think he could do a bunch better nowadays.
i like it

a bunch better...meaning better music to a piece of crap video...or a better video for a piece of crap song?

A blatant rip-off of DEVO's "We're thru being cool"...a GREAT video to a GREAT song
25th January 2007 05:06 PM
Gazza The videos that were done for Dont Stop and the 'No Security' version of 'Gimme Shelter' were pretty horrendous - but at least the Stones had the good grace not to be in them, so perhaps their contribution was minimal.

Lets Work was indeed a visual lowpoint. What was worse was some of Mick's European TV appearances to promote it. The sight of him returning to Top of The Pops after a 16 year gap and mincing around a TV studio lip-synching to that tripe in front of a bunch of acne-infested, mullet-wearing teenagers who probably didnt know who the fuck he was, was so cringeworthy I actually hid behind the settee when it was on out of embarrassment for him.

Thank Christ his solo career flopped and he returned to the Stones with his tail and ego between his legs. God knows what depths he would have sunk to had things developed otherwise.
[Edited by Gazza]
25th January 2007 05:07 PM
glencar He adopted the mullet himself around that time.
25th January 2007 05:21 PM
1 Give that funny bald buddy one million bucks, he'll jump and "sing" on your wedding too. Without a moment of hesitation.

Business as usual, nothing else - and don't foolish for to expect something else.
25th January 2007 05:39 PM
MrPleasant I like the song. It's catchy and tongue-in-cheek. (Anybody thinks that Jagger was seriously exhorting to "work" and "kill poverty"?)
25th January 2007 05:46 PM
Soldatti The song sucks, but I kinda like half of PC.
25th January 2007 06:15 PM
glencar
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
I like the song. It's catchy and tongue-in-cheek. (Anybody thinks that Jagger was seriously exhorting to "work" and "kill poverty"?)

He was totally serious.
25th January 2007 06:25 PM
MrPleasant So he's also the Devil?
25th January 2007 06:34 PM
glencar He indicated in an interview back in 1988 that Let's Work reflected his opinion.
25th January 2007 07:11 PM
MrPleasant Perhaps (he has been purposely distancing himself from the image of a "decadent rock star", and those were the times of Live Aid), but, with Mick, you have to take most of his lyrics with a grain of salt.
25th January 2007 07:12 PM
glencar I agree with that.
26th January 2007 06:55 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The videos that were done for Dont Stop and the 'No Security' version of 'Gimme Shelter' were pretty horrendous - but at least the Stones had the good grace not to be in them, so perhaps their contribution was minimal.

Lets Work was indeed a visual lowpoint. What was worse was some of Mick's European TV appearances to promote it. The sight of him returning to Top of The Pops after a 16 year gap and mincing around a TV studio lip-synching to that tripe in front of a bunch of acne-infested, mullet-wearing teenagers who probably didnt know who the fuck he was, was so cringeworthy I actually hid behind the settee when it was on out of embarrassment for him.

Thank Christ his solo career flopped and he returned to the Stones with his tail and ego between his legs. God knows what depths he would have sunk to had things developed otherwise.
[Edited by Gazza]

Jeez Louise you're one smooth talker man.
26th January 2007 07:51 AM
Gazza LOL..I'm not kiddin' Kent. It really had to be seen to be believed. I had to phone in sick to work the next day to avoid facing total humiliation.
29th January 2007 05:48 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Gazza wrote:
LOL..I'm not kiddin' Kent. It really had to be seen to be believed. I had to phone in sick to work the next day to avoid facing total humiliation.

I can imagine. First time I saw it my jaw dropped too. There's one specific point in that video that sucks more than anything else. At one point Jagger makes this movement that simply screams "BURN OUT". It's right where he's filmed from the side and runs under that big bridge. The only video of it on YouTube is a different cut of the video so I can't link it.
29th January 2007 07:05 AM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves Solo Mick always scared me
29th January 2007 07:15 AM
corgi37 It was a tragedy waiting to happen. And just think, that woeful song & clip was in the era of hard candy rock. No wonder GnR were called the heir's to the Stones. It just defies rational thought that Jagger would...

A: Consider the song good
B: Consider the clip good
C: Think any one would consider A or B.

I bet when Keith heard the song & saw the clip he thought (looking at his watch) "Ok, Mike will be ringing me in about 5 minutes".
29th January 2007 03:42 PM
texile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The videos that were done for Dont Stop and the 'No Security' version of 'Gimme Shelter' were pretty horrendous - but at least the Stones had the good grace not to be in them, so perhaps their contribution was minimal.

[Edited by Gazza]

lol -
its a little funny now - but back then,
yes, it was startling and troubling.
i was dissilusioned.
i think i saw the video once on mtv and stayed clear of channel 30 (Mtv on my cable)for the until the danger passed...
luckily, the song dissapeared rather quickly.
like egon, i dared not click.
29th January 2007 04:10 PM
Gazza
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:

I can imagine. First time I saw it my jaw dropped too. There's one specific point in that video that sucks more than anything else. At one point Jagger makes this movement that simply screams "BURN OUT".

From where I'm sitting, its actually screaming "BURN ME"
31st January 2007 07:32 AM
monkeyman62 cant believe what mick became in the 80s, just dreadful man,
he could never cut it as a solo artist, and thank god for that, imagine if mick had become sting or clapton, the stones would be no more
31st January 2007 10:17 PM
Trey Krimsin I had to see this because of all the negative discussion about it. And I pretty much agree with everyone. It sucks big time. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but I don't think Let's Work is far off from being the worst.
31st January 2007 10:59 PM
GotToRollMe Oh GOD...why...WHY...I promised myself I wouldn't click on any more hinky links, and yet I was compelled...COMPELLED...I had forgotten how truly awful this was.

Luckily, we have those cool pics of Keith in the other threads to help balance out the unadulterated cheese that is this video.

Mick, what the hell were you thinking?

1st February 2007 05:29 AM
corgi37 Mick espousing "Reagan-omics"? Noooooo. I wasnt even the least bit tempted.

He's a Sweet Neo Con.
1st February 2007 07:27 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Mick espousing "Reagan-omics"?

'Thatcherism' we tended to call it here. At the time, people compared the song to a Conservative party rallying call, as it seemed to mirror (then Employment Secretary) Norman Tebbit's controversial call from a few years earlier for the unemployed to 'get on your bike and look for work'
1st February 2007 02:07 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

'Thatcherism' we tended to call it here. At the time, people compared the song to a Conservative party rallying call, as it seemed to mirror (then Employment Secretary) Norman Tebbit's controversial call from a few years earlier for the unemployed to 'get on your bike and look for work'

I like the sound of that! ...

I've always thought Mick's solo career flopped because he tried to do it too late. He was in his 40s, and defined by his position in the Stones in a way that Clapton never was with any band. Just imagine if Mick had quit the Stones in, say, 1970 and put songs like "Brown Sugar" out under his own name. Granted, they'd lack something crucial without Keith, but I'd wager he'd have been a reasonably popular and successful solo artist for the rest of his career.
1st February 2007 03:01 PM
gotdablouse Exactly what I was thinking yesterday after reading an Andy Summers interview who said that "The Police" could very well have kept going if they'd sent Sting out for a solo album in 1984. Well I guess he's forgetting the bad blood between Copeland and Sting at the time though.

And now that Sting's carreer is going nowhere, guess what, The Police are reuniting !
1st February 2007 03:36 PM
Saint Sway WTF????

I leave for one week and the standards here nosedive!

WHY ARE WE ALLOWING FOOTAGE OF THIS GHEY VIDEO on this great site?????

I EMPLORE THE ADMINISTRATORS OF THIS BOARD TO TAKE ACTION AND IMMEDIATELY DELETE THIS THREAD
and any and all future threads containing ANY LINKS to this humiliating video!

this is - WITHOUT QUESTION - the lowest, most embarrassing moment of the Stones career. It must be hid from this and all future generations!!! Buried away NEVER TO EVER AGAIN see the light of day.

As Stones fans it is our duty to destroy all footage of this video and prevent others from every baring witness to its overwhelming lameness

TIA for your help and cooperation with this vital matter

Sincerely,

Your Eternal Shining Light of Stones Wisdom,
Saint Sway
1st February 2007 03:38 PM
pdog if you really love Mick, you must love him for his faults too!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)