ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

© Getty Images, with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: John Prine & Maura O’Connell - St. Louis - Jan. 28, 2006 Return to archive
January 30th, 2006 04:15 AM
Barney Fife John Prine – St. Louis - Jan. 28, 2006

The John Prine show Saturday night in St. Louis was one of the best shows I’ve seen in the past five years. He did all the great songs you could want and some not so well known ones. Sorry, I don’t have a complete list to post yet. I’ll have to study the recording for a while.

The show was at an excellent venue that neither the wife nor I had been to before – The Blanche M. Touhill Performing Arts Center on the campus of the University of Missouri – St. Louis. This is a relatively new college in an old area of town. The venue is really nice with great acoustics and nice chairs – alcoholic beverages were available in the lobby, but you couldn’t take them into the theatre.

A huge treat was that Irish folk great Maura O’Connell opened for Prine and his band. Maura was accompanied by just an acoustic guitarist and performed for about 40 minutes. Then John and his band (three guys – bass, mandolin/acoustic guitar/electric guitar and the third guy who played electric and slide guitar) came on a few minutes after 9:00 p.m.

They played over two hours and twenty minutes! It was great! John called Maura to come out for duets with him on a few numbers. Then she left, but came back later for the encore. After a while the band left the stage and John played solo for a while. Then the band members came back on stage one-by-one during a most excellent version of “Hello in There.”

John alternated between dreadnought and big concert style guitars most of the night. He even played electric guitar for one or two songs. The only criticism I had was that his vocals mic should have been turned up louder when he played electric guitar.

Tickets were $45 each and worth every penny. According to John’s website (http://ohboy.com/johnprine.html) the show was sold out.
January 30th, 2006 09:22 AM
Larry Dallas I saw John two nights in a row in Louisville and Cincinnati about a year ago when Fair and Square came out and the shows were beyond compare. No one should miss out on Prine if he's coming near your city.
January 31st, 2006 09:14 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
Larry Dallas wrote:
I saw John two nights in a row in Louisville and Cincinnati about a year ago when Fair and Square came out and the shows were beyond compare. No one should miss out on Prine if he's coming near your city.

Sadly, most people who think they're big music listeners don't even know who he is. Same goes with Tom Russell and Dave Alvin - great songwriters and performers, but how many people on the Rocks Off Board know who they are?!?
January 31st, 2006 06:34 PM
Gazza Prine's excellent. he played here a couple of months ago and unfortunately due to other commitments that night I couldnt go. heard he was terrific, however
January 31st, 2006 08:24 PM
Cactus Ed
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:

Sadly, most people who think they're big music listeners don't even know who he is. Same goes with Tom Russell and Dave Alvin - great songwriters and performers, but how many people on the Rocks Off Board know who they are?!?

That's because he used to be a mailman.
January 31st, 2006 11:18 PM
nanatod "most people who think they're big music listeners don't even know who he is"

I bet a lot of the board know who Prine is. Besides seeing John play, some of us have even seen his brother play live in local Midwestern clubs / bars.

----------------------------------

"Often is a word I seldom use"
January 31st, 2006 11:23 PM
Barney Fife
quote:
Cactus Ed wrote:

That's because he used to be a mailman.

Well, Keith used to be a heroin junkie and Mick used to be a second-rate harmonica player. Woops - my mistake! Mick still is a second-rate harmonica player! At least Keith can play guitar and The Glimmer Twins can write songs.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)