ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

© Getty Images, with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rediscovering A Bigger Bang Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 29th, 2006 05:49 PM
the good This album kicks ass!
January 29th, 2006 05:50 PM
speedfreakjive please elaborate
January 29th, 2006 06:06 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
please elaborate

It that really required..?
January 29th, 2006 06:09 PM
speedfreakjive Yes I think B2B is better.
January 29th, 2006 06:36 PM
deuce Oh No Not You Again kicks ass
January 29th, 2006 06:40 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Yes I think B2B is better.

once again agree with SFJ
BTB was more ambitious with more ideas.
ABB is correct but lacks of sparks in the songs,a decent bass player and a second guitarist, also misses a good producer to turn some songs into classics.
That's a pity, cuz the record got several good songs and a few great gems like Laugh or Rough Justice for example.
that s why I find it unfinished,but it's just my 2 cents off.
I remember when Jagger came with his blues project with the Devils and Mr Ertegunt,the boss of his label said it wasn t that good, and that he was waiting for something stronger from the best RNR singer of the planet.
Mick came a few month later with what is called by many fans the best Stones project of the 90's.
May be they needed someone to say "f**k off", but Don Was don't know howe to do that
After 8 years, I was expecting something more consistant.
the best symbol of this lack of ambition is ABB booklet, black on white with shitty font.
"back to roots" as they said..Do you believe it?
January 29th, 2006 06:41 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
deuce wrote:
Oh No Not You Again kicks ass

True.Everybody loves the songs cuz it's REAL Stones as we expect them.
Sadly, ABB got 15 other songs far from this one.
January 29th, 2006 07:27 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

True.Everybody loves the songs cuz it's REAL Stones as we expect them.
Sadly, ABB got 15 other songs far from this one.

I've gone off it. Too many high society lyrics.
January 29th, 2006 07:41 PM
T&A it's already become a footnote in their catalogue for me....
January 29th, 2006 07:47 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Yes I think B2B is better.

I think the point was that it kicks ass with no comparisons drawn.

I like ABB better - doesn't mean B2B doesn't kick ass...
January 29th, 2006 07:50 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

I think the point was that it kicks ass with no comparisons drawn.

I like ABB better - doesn't mean B2B doesn't kick ass...

Ok then, my opinion is that ABB doesn't kick ass; its taken me five months to realise this, people should'nt get slated either way, not making up your mind if you like something the first time you hear it is no crime, nor is liking music then deciding its not that good.
January 29th, 2006 08:08 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

people should'nt get slated either way, not making up your mind if you like something the first time you hear it is no crime, nor is liking music then deciding its not that good.

I'm not "slating you", sfj. You, however, asked to "eloborate" on a simple feeling of appreciation towards the album.

Call me crazy, but "kicks ass" is fairly self-explanatory. Not much more to elaborate on that.

January 29th, 2006 08:32 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

I'm not "slating you", sfj. You, however, asked to "eloborate" on a simple feeling of appreciation towards the album.

Call me crazy, but "kicks ass" is fairly self-explanatory. Not much more to elaborate on that.

Fair enough, but I think that the album as a whole doesn't 'kick ass'. There are quite a few songs which do, but a lot that don't IMHO.
January 29th, 2006 08:40 PM
BILL PERKS I STILL QUITE DIG IT
January 29th, 2006 08:56 PM
Soldatti I think that it's excellent, I like it more now than 1-2 months ago. Driving Too Fast is the best song on the CD, IMO.
January 29th, 2006 09:38 PM
Nellcote I was thinking of starting this type of thread last Friday.
I'm fine with ABB.
It's bright, solid rock.
Time stamped in my brain at this point.
January 29th, 2006 09:54 PM
tumbling dice A Bigger Bang is very raw.Rough Justice was mixed very different of the others ,more sloppy.Sadly ,it doesn´t got any classic song,but it got more than 10 very good songs.Mick tried to make another Some Girls but failed ,because today it´s not 1978 and great dance tracks like Miss You doesn´t work in these days.ABB is like Voodoo lounge but more faster.Organic and honest work.
January 29th, 2006 10:03 PM
Bruno Stone I'm impressed with myself about how I like Let Me Down Slow and Dangerous Beauty more and more...
January 30th, 2006 12:10 AM
the good
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Fair enough, but I think that the album as a whole doesn't 'kick ass'.

How about I kick your ass?
January 30th, 2006 12:35 AM
texile
quote:
deuce wrote:
Oh No Not You Again kicks ass

it IS the best track by far.....

and speedy - high society lyrics?
please elaborate...
you mean like:
'i was crossing the congo,
i walked miles in the desert, blah, blah, blah...'
cuz thats cheesy to me too.
January 30th, 2006 04:34 AM
speedfreakjive well, a lot of the lyrics I can't really relate to.about Mick and his new woman, rich folk 40 +. Its a minor quarrel really, not a big deal.

P.S
All I was saying is that the album doesn't kick ass, i'm nots saying its utter crap.
But, RJ, DB, DTF , DO kick ass
January 30th, 2006 06:48 AM
IzzyStradlin The album sucks and essentially the only people that like it are diehard Stones fans that frequesnt this place.

2-3 good songs per album is pathetic.
January 30th, 2006 08:32 AM
gimmekeef Personally I've always measured an album after I've heard how the songs progress as live performances.Thats why I love Let it Bleed.(Shelter/Rambler/Monkey Man etc).The boys have not given ABB the same chance to "grow" imho.Songs like Dangerous Beauty,Drivin Too Fast and Cat Dragged In might take on a new feeling if played live.For instance I dont care for the ABB version of Rain but live its actually kinda funky with the Daryl jam....Too busy playin 2005/06 boots to play ABB now!
January 30th, 2006 08:33 AM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Personally I've always measured an album after I've heard how the songs progress as live performances.Thats why I love Let it Bleed.(Shelter/Rambler/Monkey Man etc).The boys have not given ABB the same chance to "grow" imho.Songs like Dangerous Beauty,Drivin Too Fast and Cat Dragged In might take on a new feeling if played live.For instance I dont care for the ABB version of Rain but live its actually kinda funky with the Daryl jam....Too busy playin 2005/06 boots to play ABB now!

Couldnt agree more....
January 30th, 2006 10:02 AM
polytoxic ABB is a latter day Undercover in my estimation,
It's got some great grooves and riffs but seems underdeveloped.
Sometimes it works because a good Stones groove repeated for three or four minutes can still be more entertaining than a lot of other people's actual songs, In the same manner that a so-so Scorcese movie is still better than most efforts.
However, as much fun as I have listening to tunes like Rough Justice, Oh No Not You Again, She Saw Me Coming, It Wont Take Long & Dangerous Beauty I can't get over knowing the band's just not jamming like they did when making Some Girls/Emotional Rescue -which of course was their last studio high point (almost 30 years ago!!!!) I like the organic sound, but some days it sounds like the Rolling Stones and some days it just sounds like some Mick demos with overdub tracks thrown in. On even more cynical days, I can't help but think it's just a reason to cash in another 400 mill on another tour that's not about exploring the music but punching the clock. Those are the real cynical days, but I try not tot be so hard on my guys because I am glad they're stil out there.
As Pete Townshend mentions in February 2006 issue of MOJO, "The trick (to keep making relevant music in your 60's) is to close the loop." Meaning, retain the chemistry that made the songwriting great, and eliminate outside influences. "The Stones don't know how to close the loop, they just know how to keep going"
January 30th, 2006 10:23 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
ABB is a latter day Undercover in my estimation,
Sometimes it works because a good Stones groove repeated for three or four minutes can still be more entertaining than a lot of other people's actual songs, In the same manner that a so-so Scorcese movie is still better than most efforts.
However, as much fun as I have listening to tunes like Rough Justice, Oh No Not You Again, She Saw Me Coming, It Wont Take Long & Dangerous Beauty I can't get over knowing the band's just not jamming like they did when making Some Girls/Emotional Rescue -which of course was their last studio high point (almost 30 years ago!!!!) I like the organic sound, but some days it sounds like the Rolling Stones and some days it just sounds like some Mick demos with overdub tracks thrown in. On even more cynical days, I can't help but think it's just a reason to cash in another 400 mill on another tour that's not about exploring the music but punching the clock. Those are the real cynical days, but I try not tot be so hard on my guys because I am glad they're stil out there.
As Pete Townshend mentions in February 2006 issue of MOJO, "The trick (to keep making relevant music in your 60's) is to close the loop." Meaning, retain the chemistry that made the songwriting great, and eliminate outside influences. "The Stones don't know how to close the loop, they just know how to keep going"

Great post
January 30th, 2006 12:28 PM
Scottfree quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
polytoxic wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Great post

Excellent assesment of a good post...
January 30th, 2006 12:50 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Scottfree wrote:
quote:
polytoxic wrote:

Excellent assesment of a good post...

AN EXCELLENT ASSESSMENT OF AN ASSESSMENT OF A GOOD POST
January 30th, 2006 01:12 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

AN EXCELLENT ASSESSMENT OF AN ASSESSMENT OF A GOOD POST

[Edited by Jumacfly]
January 30th, 2006 03:07 PM
texile
quote:
polytoxic wrote:

perfect.
so townshend disses the stones.....
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)