ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

© Getty Images, with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sly Stone at Grammys? Return to archive
January 28th, 2006 11:11 AM
Ten Thousand Motels RECLUSIVE SLY STONE TO JOIN TRIBUTE JAM AT THE GRAMMYS?

LATEST: Reclusive funk legend SLY STONE is so impressed by the line-up of a Grammy Awards tribute to his music, he's planning to get in on the act.

The FAMILY AFFAIR hitmaker has reportedly contacted Grammy organisers with a view to performing with the likes of JOSS STONE, MAROON 5 and AEROSMITH's JOE PERRY and STEVEN TYLER, who will open the 8 February (06) show with a SLY + THE FAMILY STONE medley.

A spokesman for the Recording Academy, the organisation that stages the Grammy Awards, says, "We do believe that he is attending the Grammy Awards. It seems like the right time for him. We're thrilled that we'll be able to do this."

Stone has become a recluse in the past decades after struggling with drug problems after his hit group split in the mid-1970s.

28/01/2006 13:46
contactmusic
January 28th, 2006 12:12 PM
nanatod This is not as big a surprise as it could have been. Apparently Sly showed up incognito at a concert by his sister's band several months ago in Los Angeles.

Also, according to her band's web site, Sly has "allowed" her band to change their name from whatever the band used to be called to "the Family Stone."

I would guess that he could do future cameo appearances with them, although I don't seem him leading a band on a full-fledged tour.

January 28th, 2006 05:02 PM
Schleisher Well now there's a reason to watch the Grammys; I'd rather see Sly and Co. do a song by themselves, but whatever gets him there is fine by me. It also says on the website that Sly is writing and producing for the new "Family Stone."
January 28th, 2006 09:31 PM
texile
quote:
Schleisher wrote:
Well now there's a reason to watch the Grammys; I'd rather see Sly and Co. do a song by themselves,

me too,
why steven tyler?
and im not looking forward to adam levine's sqeaky rendition of "soul" .....
January 28th, 2006 09:34 PM
speedfreakjive Maroon 5 make me nauseous.
January 28th, 2006 10:42 PM
lotsajizz I saw 'em open up in Moncton, not bad....better than the Tragically Hip anyway
January 28th, 2006 11:12 PM
nanatod "better than the Tragically Hip anyway"

You have to give the Tragically Hip another chance. The first time I saw them live, at a free summer concert, I thought, "this band is terrible, one of the worst I have ever seen, REM without the melody."

About two months later they played on a multiartist stadium show whose ultimate headliners were Kid Rock and Metallica. The Tragically Hip put on basically the exact same show, but they were firing on all cylinders, and they were just terrific. Ironically, the people who were seeing them for the first time at the stadium show thought they were terrible. I guess the Tragically Hip are one of those bands who it takes a second viewing to connect with a listener.
January 29th, 2006 05:00 PM
texile maroon 5 is catchy as hell but that guy gets on my nerves...
im biased against these hollywood bands - these guys had celebrity friends BEFORE they made a cd....
i know that's not a fair assessment but i don't care.
January 29th, 2006 05:09 PM
Gazza Springsteen's playing at it which makes it a couple of reasons for me to watch it now I suppose
January 30th, 2006 05:43 AM
Jumping Jack Too bad they don't cut away to the Stones. They won't do it before the Superbowl, and won't be humiliated again by such a stunt, but no way Atlanta would be as lame as SLC.
January 30th, 2006 01:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
January 30th, 2006 01:43 PM
Jumping Jack Sly did a couple appearance on Dick Cavett that were memorable. He was totally wasted on the first one. He was on with Ali in the second one and showed the poor judgement of arguing a bit with the greatest who thought he was an fool and was ready to bitch slap his sorry ass. Quite entertaining stuff.
January 30th, 2006 02:31 PM
Candace Youngblood Sly Stone was impressed with the Grammy line-up so he decided to join them? He must be smoking crack again.
Who the eff thought it would be a good idea to get Aerosmith and Maroon 5 to tribute Sly?

Unreal. I am glad to hear that he is out and about though.
January 30th, 2006 03:01 PM
texile
quote:
Candace Youngblood wrote:
Sly Stone was impressed with the Grammy line-up so he decided to join them? He must be smoking crack again.
Who the eff thought it would be a good idea to get Aerosmith and Maroon 5 to tribute Sly?

and that's why ill probably skip it....
sly might be still stoned on something but maroon 5, joss sotne (sure, she's cute but too young) and tyler have no business on stage with the man.
January 30th, 2006 03:06 PM
gimmekeef Nothing short of being tied down with my eyes pried open would get me to watch that lame ass bullshit award show...If they cut to Atlanta for the Stones(and they better not)...I'll be the loud voice you hear booing!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)