ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Torino - 1982 - Grazie molto Fabio!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hittin' The Nolte Return to archive
01-29-03 12:16 PM
Lazy Bones Can't remember if this has been posted...it's now on shelves.

To the Edge --- and Beyond:
An Inside Perspective of the Rolling Stones at 40 from Chuck Leavell

by John Lynskey

"July 1962. JFK was president, Marilyn Monroe would soon meet her tragic demise, and Khruschev was sending missiles to Cuba; meanwhile, in London, a new blues band called the Rolling Stones played their first gig at the Marquee Club, and the rest, as they say, is history. 30 albums and 400 songs later, the group that musically dominated the latter part of the 20th century is still going strong in the New Millenium, and is about to embark on their 40th anniversary tour. Keyboardist Chuck Leavell has been with the Stones since 1982, and he took the time to share with HTN his 20-year perspective of the band. It is truly a look at the inner workings of the group, so join us as the Rolling Stones continue to push the music they themselves defined to the very edge - and beyond.

"Anyone who thinks this band should call it quits just needs to listen to the new stuff we recently did, and they'll change their minds," stated Rolling Stones keyboardist Chuck Leavell, while taking a break from the group's rehearsals in Toronto, Canada. "It's great material, and the band continues to mature even though we're pretty mature already! [Laughs.] There is no doubt that the quality of the music remains very high - we were in Paris for a month, and recorded over 20 pieces of music, and four of them will appear on the upcoming retrospective release, which will be the first retrospective to include the entire 40-year career of the Stones. People will be very pleased to find out that the Rolling Stones still write meaningful songs, and anyone who doubts that should come to the gigs, and they will hear the greatest rock and roll band in the world.
"I think we are trying to find where the edge of the rock and roll envelope is, and as Keith says whenever he is asked how long can this band go on, 'I don't know, but we are finding out.' That is absolutely the mindset we all have - everyone is looking forward, not back. Will this tour be the last time? Who knows - I don't have a clue. I think as long as people will pack stadiums and arenas to see this band, there is a very good possibility that the Rolling Stones will continue."
During his storied career, Chuck has played with some of rock's greatest guitarists - Dickey Betts, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, and Warren Haynes, amongst others. So on the topic of the signature guitar sound that Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood have created with the Rolling Stones, Chuck says, "Let's take two completely different approaches. One would be the Duane and Dickey approach, which would be the intricate harmony guitar parts, and includes one player supporting the other while he solos, and then vice-versa. So the Allmans' style is the weaving together of very intricate harmonies with very distinct solos, but the Stones' thing is two guitars becoming one, intertwining to the point where it's hard to distinguish who is doing what. It all blends and melts together, and it is not as easy to separate what is going on with the guitar work of the Stones.
"I also would describe the Stones' guitar sound as loose and open, as opposed to an Allmans' thing, which is very tight and worked out. I think that the guitar playing actually reflects the whole attitude of the Rolling Stones. The Stones are serious about what they do, but they don't take themselves too seriously. They are not afraid to have fun and have a laugh. Some bands like to put on that look - 'Oh, we're going to be really serious, and just play the music.' Well, the Stones like to throw it up in the air and have a good time - just do something silly and not be afraid to make a mistake, and laugh about it if you do. With a lot of bands, if you get to a spot in a song and it falls apart, everybody looks at each other real serious, like it is a real terrible thing. When the Stones do it, they look at each other, and laugh. I really believe that is a real part of the attitude of this band - they have fun with the music. After all, it's only rock and roll!" [Laughs.]
Any discussion of the Rolling Stones must include the relationship between Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, and Chuck gives a very candid assessment of the one of the most storied, controversial, successful, and still ongoing partnerships in rock history. "The analogy has been made so many times about the marriage, but I think it's true, and it's hard not to use that analogy. With marriages, some of them work, and some of them don't, but all marriages have challenges, and certainly the partnership between Mick and Keith has had them. The big testimony is that after 40 years, they are still working together, and that is an amazing thing, and such a rarity. Is there tension there? You bet there is. There are times when you can cut the tension with a knife, it's so thick in that room. Somehow, though, at the end of it all, that tension breaks up into laughter. There will be a tense moment going down, and then one of them will look around and grin or giggle, and that's it - it's over. In the end, they always find a way to diffuse things.
"It is amazing to me to watch how they react to each other's material, and their willingness to listen to one another. One may not particularly feel that a tune from the other is fantastic, but they are both willing to truly listen to each other, even if it's not something that they are crazy about. They allow it to evolve, and they work together in that manner. They are always willing to listen to a song, and always willing to give it a fair shot. Whether the song belongs to Mick or Keith, it has a chance to become something."
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
01-30-03 10:47 AM
Street Fighting Man Thanks for posting!

Love the Stones loose guitar playing style, which makes each concert interesting in it's own unique way. I also always digged the Allman Brothers melotic guitar style too - that is before the booted Dickie Betts!
01-30-03 10:55 AM
luxury1 I keep thinking this says "Hittin the Nolte"--and then I have to look to see who the victim was.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST