ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Robert E. Klein with thanks to GotToRollMe!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: U2's Movie 3D Getting Great Reviews (BSC) Return to archive
24th January 2008 09:53 AM
gimmekeef (BSC=Bad Stones Content)

USA Today has given 4/4 review with 2 page coverage yesterday from Sundance with an large article last week as well.This review 3/4 is from AP...I still wonder if Stones ducked Sundance so as not to compete with this....Anyway heres hoping Shine beats this.....

Film 'U2 3D' an eye-popper

By Christy Lemire, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

After all those hits and all those decades of playing together, U2 is still a tremendous live act - which makes the idea of a three-dimensional concert film seem sort of redundant. They're so vibrant and theatrical in their performances and they sound so powerful, it's as if they're already reaching out and grabbing you.

Thankfully, directors Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington mostly resist the urge to get all gimmicky with the effects in "U2 3D." Except for one moment during "Sunday Bloody Sunday," when Bono stretches his hand toward you while singing the line, "Wipe your tears away," it's as if the band members aren't even aware the cameras are there.

"U2 3D" boasts that it's "the first-ever, live-action, digital 3-D film," and while it does look crisp and clean and sharp, it's just as notable for what it lacks: any self-indulgent interviews or seemingly spontaneous moments behind the scenes. It's just an efficient hour and a half of solid music - you're in, you're out, you're done.

The technique works best when it makes you feel as if you're immersed in the audience, watching the group run through classics like "New Year's Day," "One" and "Pride (In the Name of Love)" as well as newer songs like "Beautiful Day." (The footage for "U2 3D" was shot at various concerts in Mexico and South America during the "Vertigo" tour, and it all blends seamlessly.) Crowd members in front of you thrust their hands in the air and make you feel like you're one of them; one lucky girl finds a prime perch for herself on a guy's shoulders and it partially blocks your view.

Some of the overhead shots are also extremely cool, especially during more upbeat hits like "Where the Streets Have No Name," with the packed stadium audience bouncing up and down as one, undulating like an ocean wave that could suck you in at any moment. (Similar views of Larry Mullen Jr. aren't quite so overwhelming - it's just a guy surrounded by drums and cymbals, albeit an enormously talented guy.)

But there's one song, "The Fly," that the directors absolutely ruin by going overboard on the 3-D. (Owens has been the band's visual content director for the past four tours; Pellington directed the video for "One.") A rapid-fire succession of words and phrases that appear on giant screens behind the band also pops up on the movie screen, with the intention of leaping right out at us. It's stream-of-consciousness stuff like "believe," "lie," "impossible," "inevitable," ostensibly all meant to be relevant and meaningful. The result is a distracting annoyance, which climaxes in a multicoloured waterfall of jumbled letters.

By the time U2 gets to the next song, the melancholy, high-school make-out anthem "With or Without You," you're just sitting there praying that no one messes with it - and they don't. It's one that you've heard a million times, but it still sends chills, as does Adam Clayton's bass line on "New Year's Day" and The Edge's distinctive guitar throughout.

When the music is allowed to speak for itself, it's louder than any amplified 3-D effects. If you're feeling truly ambitious, though - or you're such a huge fan of Bono that you want to crawl up his nostrils - the movie is also being shown in some places in IMAX 3-D. Three stars out of four.
24th January 2008 10:23 AM
Some Guy New Coach is getting rave reviews.
24th January 2008 11:00 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
New Coach is getting rave reviews.

Hopefully a good choice..Time will tell...Course as Steeler fan anything that weakens Jags..I'm all for!
24th January 2008 11:34 AM
Some Guy Is Brady hurt?
24th January 2008 11:50 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Is Brady hurt?

High ankle sprain...no big deal...he'll play and be fine..Sides with that OLine he could sit in a chair and throw 85% completions...
24th January 2008 12:21 PM
mojoman
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Is Brady hurt?

groin injury from illegal contact with gisele prior to game
24th January 2008 12:30 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
mojoman wrote:

groin injury from illegal contact with gisele prior to game

Nice!
24th January 2008 12:57 PM
sammy davis jr. I know alot of people hate 'em on this board, but they are truly one of the best three bands on the planet. And I'm not some U2 worshipper.
24th January 2008 01:11 PM
Some Guy The new football thread?
24th January 2008 01:29 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
New Coach is getting rave reviews.

Congrats! I was starting to think they were going to have to hand McKay the clip board. His father was a good coach ya know.
24th January 2008 01:31 PM
Some Guy
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Congrats! I was starting to think they were going to have to hand McKay the clip board. His father was a good coach ya know.

bigger than Star wars sniff.
24th January 2008 01:36 PM
Dan I would like to see this.
24th January 2008 01:39 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

bigger than Star wars sniff.

I hope you guys get it together. If the Bucs keep winning in a shitty division, what fun will that be?
24th January 2008 07:29 PM
BONOISLOVE If you love the internet as much as I do, because it allows me to constantly stay in touch with what's going on around the world (where as with getting all of the news from the television, you have to stand a lot of "news crap" that you're not interested in until they finally start talking about something that you do want to know about), your heart will be aching with joy by reading this thread. Thanks so much for sharing this information!
25th January 2008 04:16 AM
corgi37 Another example of U2 stealing the Stones thunder. Gotta give them credit for perfect timing. They aint going away, and they are taking over. If in fact, they havent already.

Plus i read today they are building a U2TOWER in Ireland. In 10 years, their tours will make VL, B2B, Licks and ABB combined look like your local high school band playing the town hall.

Meanwhile people go "Not another Stones concert movie!" And "Not another live cd!!"

It. Is. Over.

And the truly galling thing is i fucking hate U2!
25th January 2008 06:42 AM
JohnLeeHacker U2 and N. Foster architect will built the tower (120m.) in
Dublin.
There will be a public platform at 100m. and a studio
recording at the top of the tower for U2.
Beginning of the constuction: 2008 - end: 2011.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)