ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Robert E. Klein with thanks to GotToRollMe!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Olympic Inn charged with infringement Return to archive
23rd January 2008 12:48 PM
charlotte Olympic Inn charged with infringement
Karaoke suit may have business singing the blues

By BILL RODGERS Tribune Chronicle
POSTED: January 23, 2008
Email: "Olympic Inn charged with infringement"

WARREN — A night of karaoke could cost an area business as much as $240,000 should a music industry group win a lawsuit.

Following a private investigation last year, the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers filed the suit last week in Youngstown’s United States District Court Northern District of Ohio Eastern Division.

Plaintiffs represented by ASCAP are seeking copyright infringement awards in a civil suit against the owners of Gadd’s Olympic Inn on Parkman Road N.W.

The damages cited in the suit range from no less than $750 to no more than $30,000 for each of eight songs that the suit said were performed without a license late on the night of April 18, 2007, and early the next morning.

Three of the eight songs cited in a court document include the 1978 song ‘‘Beast of Burden’’ written by Rolling Stones musicians Keith Richards and Mick Jagger, the 1998 song ‘‘Uninvited’’ by Alanis Morissette and the 1979 song ‘‘Babe’’ by former Styx frontman Dennis De Young.

The songs were heard by a private investigator who sat in the bar for hours taking notes during the karaoke event, according to ASCAP in-house attorney Richard Reimer.

Reimer said the organization would seek ‘‘practical’’ damages and urged Olympic Inn owners Linda and Rick Gadd to contact the attorneys.

The Baker & Hostetler law firm of Cleveland represents ASCAP in the suit. The Tribune Chronicle left a message at Gadd’s Olympic Inn seeking comment from the owners.

‘‘What we would be asking for in court would exceed what the owner of the establishment saved by not paying licensing fees. It varies from case to case,’’ he said.

ASCAP is a performing rights organization made up of music publishers and writers. According to the organization’s Web site, ASCAP sells licenses for public performances of copyrighted songs. The group then distributes the royalties amongst its membership.

The suit alleges the Gadds had not obtained a license to perform the songs for the amusement of their guests ‘‘despite numerous letters and other contacts by ASCAP representatives.’’ The suit goes on to state that the owners have caused ‘‘great injury to the plaintiffs’’ and without court restraint, the plaintiffs will suffer ‘‘irreparable injury.’’

Eight music publishers in the suit, which include Universal Music Corp. and WB Music Corp., are seeking the financial penalties, a ban on the Gadds performing the songs again and legal fees.

Reimer claimed ASCAP first contacted the defendants before 2000. He said employees across the country scout through the Internet, the phone book and event listings for venues that could be publicly performing copyrighted songs such as those named in the suit.

After finding a venue without a license, Reimer said the group offers an annual license which can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars depending on the type of venue and type of performance. If the owners refuse to purchase one, ASCAP will hire a private investigator and prepare for a lawsuit.

Reimer said licenses are available through the organization’s Web site, but can vary in fees. Reimer said everything from the type of music played, to cover charges and even dancing can affect the cost of the license.

[email protected]
23rd January 2008 01:02 PM
PartyDoll MEG Better keep your karoake machine at home, Charlotte!!!
23rd January 2008 01:05 PM
TampabayStone Damnit, you should hear my Suspicious Minds... I once did a Gimme Shelter that brought the house down....
23rd January 2008 04:22 PM
nankerphelge Intellectual property rights aside, I hope they shut them all down -- most people cannot sing anyway.

Fuck second-hand smoke - karaoke is a bigger concern at a bar for me...

23rd January 2008 04:38 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Intellectual property rights aside, I hope they shut them all down -- most people cannot sing anyway.

Fuck second-hand smoke - karaoke is a bigger concern at a bar for me...

Oh, I can't listen to other people do it. But, it can be4 good fun at a party.
23rd January 2008 04:44 PM
glencar This will KILL American Idol.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)