ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Robert E. Klein with thanks to GotToRollMe!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Nicky Hopkins & his music Return to archive
22nd January 2008 01:32 PM
Victoria Hi there! My mother is a relation (cousin) of Nicky Hopkins. Her name is Shirley Hopkins and I am her daughter Victoria. She has mentioned him and his music so much to me over the years and as I love music too (and play myself) would very much like to learn more about him and his music etc. I would very much like to hear from anyone who could let me know more about his talented life,
kind regards.
22nd January 2008 01:42 PM
Zack Hi Victoria. Mr. Hopkins was indeed a very talented man and has played on some of the greatest records of the sixties and seventies by the Stones, Kinks, and Who. I think some of his most beautiful playing was on two songs by the Who called "They Are All In Love" and "How Many Friends."

There is a famous Stones bootleg recording called Happy Birthday Nicky" that documents a concert where Mick Jagger sings the song for him at a show in Australia in February 1973.

Click on the link right on this board right here

http://rocksoff.org/nicky-index.htm

for more information.

[Edited by Zack]
22nd January 2008 01:53 PM
gustavobala

everybody loves him
22nd January 2008 02:01 PM
Quiquestone Welcome Victoria,
He was a very talented musician and one of the best session's man ever!

Did you ever met him?
Do you or your mother have all his recordings? If not, get them!

"He is by far the rock piano player with the best reputation in rock history" (VoodooChileInWonderland, author of this website, 1999)
22nd January 2008 09:45 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I met Nicky briefly in 1977 when he was touring with Joe Cocker, he was a great person, and I consider him the best session musician of the 60s-70s so I decided to make a website about him (link above, thanks Zack!) that link is permanently below the header picture on this message board

It's unfinished, now I have about ten articles more to upload, videos, audio samples, pix, an interview and information, and some really cool stuff: Unreleased recordings!! But just a little time to make it happen.

I’ll try to update his website for his upcoming birthday next month.
22nd January 2008 09:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl BTW, the entrance to the website is this http://www.rocksoff.org/nicky.htm
22nd January 2008 11:12 PM
Brainbell Jangler Some of Nicky's best work, including songs he wrote or co-wrote, appear on two albums released in 1969. One is Shady Grove by the late-Sixties San Francisco psychedelic band Quicksilver Messenger Service, featuring Nicky's signature instrumental composition, "Edward, the Mad Shirt Grinder." The other is Your Saving Grace by the Steve Miller Band, which includes the Miller/Hopkins gem, "Baby's House."
22nd January 2008 11:38 PM
Bitch He had a great smile on his face when he played! cool dude
[Edited by Bitch]
22nd January 2008 11:45 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Bitch wrote:
He had a great smile on his face when he played! cool dude
[Edited by Bitch]

I saw that, nice catch.

Photobucket
23rd January 2008 10:33 AM
lotsajizz he also is all over the Airplane's album 'Volunteers'...that boy was the best
23rd January 2008 10:59 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl With Jefferson Airplane he is not just in the Volunteers album, he played the Woodstock Festival with them, appears in the S/T album released in 1989 with really great pianos including piano-duets with Grace and in the box "Jefferson Airplane Loves You" with some outtakes or alternate takes from the 1969 session
[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
23rd January 2008 01:03 PM
Olompali Fave Hopkins as a sideman on LP:
Happy Birthday Ruthie Baby/McGuiness Flint

Try to find some tapes of Nicky on tour with The Jerry Garcia Band, ca. 1975. Beautiful jams and some really funny onstage banter.
His playing with Garcia was tremendous.
23rd January 2008 01:21 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Olompali wrote:
Fave Hopkins as a sideman on LP:
Happy Birthday Ruthie Baby/McGuiness Flint

Try to find some tapes of Nicky on tour with The Jerry Garcia Band, ca. 1975. Beautiful jams and some really funny onstage banter.
His playing with Garcia was tremendous.

Yes, that's the tour in which Nicky shined the best as it was a guitar-piano driving

You can hear a couple of shows right now, on-line anf for free at Wolfgang's Vault

Winterland
San Francisco, CA
12/19/1975
Total Time: 1:30:53

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/jerry-garcia-band-concert/2630-8753.html

and

Winterland
San Francisco, CA
12/20/1975
Total Time: 1:41:32

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/jerry-garcia-band-concert/2632-8753.html

Jerry Garcia - guitar, vocals
Nicky Hopkins - piano
John Kahn - bass
Ron Tutt - drums
Guest: Matthew Kelly - harmonica
23rd January 2008 01:42 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Jerry Garcia - guitar, vocals
Nicky Hopkins - piano
John Kahn - bass
Ron Tutt - drums
Guest: Matthew Kelly - harmonica

That Ronnie Tutt is one of rock's great under-rated drummers...he was the King's drummer from '69 'till his death...he'd go from playing with Elvis to the JGB and back again.....talk about your different styles!!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)