ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Robert E. Klein with thanks to GotToRollMe!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: new stones album and new label!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2
17th January 2008 05:24 AM
lotsajizz record labels are obsolete
17th January 2008 05:57 AM
glencar Will this be the 12th live album?
17th January 2008 06:10 AM
corgi37 Another live cd? No thanks. Tell ya what, you old geezers. Re-release the full version of Ya-Ya's and i'll be interested.

Better yet, Brussels 73.

Now ya talking!
17th January 2008 08:58 AM
justinkurian
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:
How does it work with the DVD? Does U"niversal Music put that out as well?

The 6th paragraph down has something regarding this...
------------------------------------------------------

Rolling Stones sign deal with Universal
By D'ARCY DORAN, Associated Press Writer

LONDON (AP) — The Rolling Stones announced Thursday they have signed a deal to release the soundtrack to their Martin Scorsese-directed concert film through Universal Music Group.

The move does not bode well for EMI Group, the label that has been the Stones' home for 16 years, raising the possibility that the band might follow Radiohead and Paul McCartney and leave the embattled record company.

"The band are looking forward to working with Universal Music and are excited about this new venture," The Rolling Stones said in a statement.

In a one-album deal, Universal Music's labels around the world will release the "Shine a Light" soundtrack in March. The album will be released in Britain by Polydor Records.

"We are really proud to be working with the Rolling Stones, and so is everybody in Universal Music globally," Universal Music Group International chairman and chief executive Lucian Grainge said.

EMI said its relationship with the Stones was unaffected by the announcement. EMI spokesman Andrew Dowler stressed it had been always understood Universal Music would release the soundtrack because its studio affiliate Universal Pictures was producing the film.

"It's good spin: Universal are suggesting this is a broader thing, but it's about one film, one soundtrack and had nothing to do with their relationship with the label," he said. "They're an EMI band."

EMI has lost McCartney and Radiohead, two of its biggest acts, in the past year, while others — including Coldplay — have expressed unhappiness with the label.

EMI was bought by Terra Firma Capital Partners last year, and on Tuesday, the private equity firm announced plans to cut as many as 2,000 jobs, about a third of the company's work force, in a restructuring plan aimed at reassuring its restless artists, countering plummeting CD revenue and saving $400 million a year.

"Shine a Light" was filmed during a Rolling Stones performance at New York's Beacon Theatre in autumn 2006. It includes appearances by Buddy Guy, the White Stripes' Jack White and Christina Aguilera, along with rarely seen archival footage of the band.

The film will open the Berlin International Film Festival on Feb. 7 and is expected to be released in cinemas in April.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080117/ap_en_mu/people_rolling_stones
[Edited by justinkurian]
17th January 2008 01:55 PM
Stones I am just hoping She Was Hot makes it to the CD...
17th January 2008 02:03 PM
Mel Belli "...their albums still sell well." Who knew?!
[Edited by Mel Belli]
17th January 2008 02:16 PM
glencar relatively speaking?
17th January 2008 02:18 PM
andrews27 The other longstanding rumor is that the band will not release (or re-release) any old performance video while they are still touring, partly out of vanity and partly to have a nest egg for their extended families after touring ends. This strategy leads me to believe that no archival material will be released until then, also. They don't need it to sell concert tickets - though a concurrent release of archival material could have helped sales of ABB or help sell a future studio album.

The Universal deal could be an opportune motion toward reconciliation with ABKCO, because "until then" is now the foreseeable future, or could be brought on by unforeseen changes at the Stones' ages. But I think you will find that Then is not Now.

[Edited by andrews27]
17th January 2008 02:20 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Aloha, Mr. Hands!

17th January 2008 02:36 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
glencar wrote:
relatively speaking?

ABB worldwide sales of 2.4 million isn't bad in this day and age.
17th January 2008 03:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Will this be the 12th live album?

No..it just seems like it. its their 9th - plus an EP

Got Live If You Want It (EP and LP)
Ya yas
Love You Live
Still Life
Flashpoint
Stripped
No Security
Live Licks
17th January 2008 03:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
justinkurian wrote:

EMI said its relationship with the Stones was unaffected by the announcement. EMI spokesman Andrew Dowler stressed it had been always understood Universal Music would release the soundtrack because its studio affiliate Universal Pictures was producing the film.

"It's good spin: Universal are suggesting this is a broader thing, but it's about one film, one soundtrack and had nothing to do with their relationship with the label," he said. "They're an EMI band."

They're kidding no-one but themselves. With all the redundancies at EMI, who the hell is going to authorise a long term contract to an out of contract band in their mid 60s who have made 1 album in the last decade, and only four in the last 20 years?
17th January 2008 03:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
The other longstanding rumor is that the band will not release (or re-release) any old performance video while they are still touring, partly out of vanity and partly to have a nest egg for their extended families after touring ends.

LOL..they're worth over $1 billion between them and pay next to no tax. The nest egg they have already should keep their descendants and everyone who's ever worked for them living in the style theyve been accustomed to until about 2400 at least.
17th January 2008 03:27 PM
Some Guy any chance they bust out a couple of smoking hot new songs on this disc?
17th January 2008 04:15 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
any chance they bust out a couple of smoking hot new songs on this disc?

No doubt Keith is pickin away on a new yawner as we speak...
17th January 2008 04:31 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Gazza wrote:

LOL..they're worth over $1 billion between them and pay next to no tax. The nest egg they have already should keep their descendants and everyone who's ever worked for them living in the style theyve been accustomed to until about 2400 at least.

Yeah, but Keith plans to still be alive then.
17th January 2008 05:00 PM
mojoman
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Aloha, Mr. Hands!

"Me and Mick Are Gonna Wing On Over to London and Jam with The Stones"
18th January 2008 02:52 AM
Fuck!
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I hope that if they do release a new album with new material they'll write what they really feel and stay true to themselves. Instead of trying to sound young and write with cocks, (which in all likelihood probably don't even work properly anymore) they could take the position of old survivors full of wisdom. They experienced so much in their lives, so much joy, so much heartbreak, so much excitement. They must have so many great stories to tell and so much advice to give us.
[Edited by mrhipfl]

yes, i agree!!! that's exactly how i see it!
come on guys, it's great to have a new stones release to look forward to, but all we want is the stones to make some new fucking great music again, right? i love the stones, but please, not the crap like a bigger bang again, but more like Bridges, if they'd released that one in 2005, and called it a bigger bang, it would've maked sense in my opinion....

FUCK!
18th January 2008 06:11 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Gazza wrote:

CEPT FOR WOODY WITH THE WAY HE BLOWS HIS CASH;IF THEY DONT TOUR AGAIN HE'LL DIE BROKE.WORD.
18th January 2008 06:42 PM
Gazza
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

CEPT FOR WOODY WITH THE WAY HE BLOWS HIS CASH;IF THEY DONT TOUR AGAIN HE'LL DIE BROKE.WORD.

Seems he's destined to blow his money no matter how much he earns.

seriously - when youve earned over $100 million and have a steady source of income worth a few milion a year even when you do nothing, how difficult is it to be wealthy enough not to have to work? He must know a hell of a lot of shitty financial planners.
[Edited by Gazza]
19th January 2008 12:49 AM
Child of the Moon Oh. Good. Another live album.

Yeah, if they're going to just put out live stuff, maybe make it something like, you know, MSG '72?
19th January 2008 08:25 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
Fuck! wrote:

yes, i agree!!! that's exactly how i see it!
come on guys, it's great to have a new stones release to look forward to, but all we want is the stones to make some new fucking great music again, right? i love the stones, but please, not the crap like a bigger bang again, but more like Bridges, if they'd released that one in 2005, and called it a bigger bang, it would've maked sense in my opinion....

FUCK!

+1 - they really shouldn't bother if it's going to be ABB v2, I won't be buying it anyway. Honestly I don't see them making that move though, their "new music" standards have fallen so low for...hum...36 years, with a slight rebound on B2B I guess, that what are the odds of that happening? Not to mention that Keith is all dried up anyway.

Shit man, how did they come up with the magic 4 between 68 and 72 and then loose pretty much all ambition to make music that counts, beats me. Must be the drugs...
20th January 2008 06:36 AM
corgi37 Shine a light on dvd will do me. Might have a few extras. The cd doesnt interest me in the slightest.
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)