ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Robert E. Klein with thanks to GotToRollMe!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: new stones album and new label!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2
16th January 2008 06:08 PM
Daethgod from iorr.com

This article appears in Music Week (magazine):

Rolling Stones sign with Universal
00:01 | Wednesday January 16, 2008
By Paul Williams
The Rolling Stones have signed a one-album deal with Universal as the clock runs down on their existing agreement with EMI.

The band, who signed in 1991 to Virgin Records prior to the record company being bought out the following year by EMI, will team up with Universal for the accompanying album to a film Oscar-winning director Martin Scorsese has made about the band.

The concert film Shine A Light takes in filming by Scorsese of the band across a two-day period at the Beacon Theater in New York City and will go on a national tour around the UK from this April.

The deal signed with Universal is strictly for one album, but it throws a question mark over their continuing relationship with EMI, which has already seen key acts Paul McCartney and Radiohead sign deals with rival companies. The band’s current deal with EMI runs in the spring and covers their entire back catalogue since 1971’s Sticky Figures, all of which is owned by the band. Other titles covered by the deal and controlled by the band include Exile On Main Street, Goat’s Head Soup, Some Girls, Tattoo You, Bridges To Babylon and their most recent studio album A Bigger Bang.

The conclusion of the deal with EMI shortly now raises the prospect of that catalogue moving to another company.

Their earlier recordings, covering the years 1963 to 1971, are overseen by Universal.

http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,860138

http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1032904&c=1

16th January 2008 06:10 PM
Joey

I am now so excited that I am typing this with my nipples , penis AND fingers .

J. FLY !
16th January 2008 06:19 PM
Some Guy someone explain this to me, talk to me like I'm a 3 yr old.
16th January 2008 06:21 PM
Daethgod new.stones.album.coming.

prob a live Beacon soundtrack thingy

16th January 2008 06:26 PM
fireontheplatter rocking good news

i hope they do more acoustic songs...like they did in the early days. that real soulful stuff, like no expectations.
this to fast driven stuff for a full album/cd doesn't work for me.
16th January 2008 06:28 PM
Soldatti Big news here, it seems the Stones are moving out of EMI (thank god) and they will sign a one deal album from now on.
16th January 2008 06:29 PM
robpop One album deals for now on.

They sound like washed up journeymen baseball players.
16th January 2008 06:31 PM
Got Me Rockin
quote:
robpop wrote:
One album deals for now on.

Maybe they should hire Brian Macnamee then?
16th January 2008 06:32 PM
Soldatti More details here:

Mick Jagger loses satisfaction with EMI
Dan Sabbagh: Media Editor
Sir Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones are preparing to follow Sir Paul McCartney and Radiohead and abandon EMI, the crisis-stricken British record label.

The likely defection of the world’s most commercially savvy rock band is a further blow to the credibility of EMI’s new owner, the venture capitalist Guy Hands, who is striving to cut costs amid an artists’ revolt. Sir Mick met Mr Hands during the negotiations over a renewal of the band’s existing EMI contract, but the financier whose best man was William Hague, did not make enough on an impression to persuade him to commit to a new deal.

Mr Hands’s venture capital group Terra Firma bought EMI last year for £2.1 billion. Since then, Radiohead have quit after a row over money and creative control, with singer Thom Yorke saying that the band was forced to make “the sign of the cross and walked away”. Sir Paul McCartney left after describing the company as “really very boring”.

The manager of Robbie Williams, one of EMI’s top selling acts, said last week that the singer was refusing to hand over his next album and accused Mr Hands of behaving like “a plantation owner” who had stumbled into the record industry via “a vanity purchase”. Coldplay, one of the label’s few US chart-toppers. are also considering their position.

The Rolling Stones have a five-year deal worth an estimated £14 million that expires in May. The band are aggressively canvassing alternatives, but The Times has learnt that EMI’s rival, Universal Music, moved into pole position after winning the rights on Tuesday to distribute a one-off live album. In March, The Stones will release a CD to accompany the Martin Scorsese film Shine a Light, in which they are filmed playing two live gigs at New York’s Beacon Theatre, with cameo apperances from Christine Aguilera and Jack White. It will be released by Universal’s Polydor label.

Sir Mick, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood are understood to be “considering their options” over EMI. However, many believe that they will sign up to Universal – unless EMI or another music group is willing to make an aggressive last ditch counter-offer. One industry source said: “You’d expect the Stones to sign up with Universal if everything goes to plan with Shine A Light.”

Sir Mick is widely regarded as being one of the most financially sharp operators in the business. He licensed Start Me Up for Microsoft’s Windows 95 campaign, earning the band an estimated £6 million, but the vast bulk of income is made from touring. The most recent, Bigger Bangtour generated a record $437 million in ticket sales.

Those close to the negotiations said that the band did not feel comfortable with EMI – which is preparing to sack up to 2,000 staff in a restructuring operation. The label is hoping that it can persuade the band into a last-minute change of heart. “We have no indication that The Rolling Stones have any intention to sign to any other record label,” a spokesman said.

The band’s anticipated defection is all the more painful because despite the age of the band members – they are all in their 60s – they remain money spinners, generating an estimated £3 million a year for EMI, making them one of its leading acts.

Unsually, the Stones also control the rights to their catalogue of albums from 1971’s Sticky Fingers, and their intention is to take the catalogue with them. The albums still sell well, with the most recent, A Bigger Bang selling over 2.4 million copies worldwide.

Should the Stones sign to Universal it would reunite their catalogue. Their 1960s albums were controlled by Decca, now part of Universal.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article3200821.ece
16th January 2008 06:33 PM
Some Guy Best Thread period!
16th January 2008 06:34 PM
robpop
quote:
Got Me Rockin wrote:

Maybe they should hire Brian Macnamee then?

Yes. There is no random testing in rock n roll.
16th January 2008 06:35 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
robpop wrote:
One album deals for now on.

they're not dead yet

keep the faith bubby
16th January 2008 06:37 PM
Daethgod U"niversal Music, moved into pole position after winning the rights on Tuesday to distribute a one-off live album. In March, The Stones will release a CD to accompany the Martin Scorsese film Shine a Light, in which they are filmed playing two live gigs at New York’s Beacon Theatre, with cameo apperances from Christine Aguilera and Jack White. It will be released by Universal’s Polydor label."

yep, looks like a Live Beacon CD
16th January 2008 06:45 PM
Some Guy dude
16th January 2008 06:46 PM
TampabayStone How does it work with the DVD? Does U"niversal Music put that out as well?
16th January 2008 06:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
rocking good news

i hope they do more acoustic songs...like they did in the early days. that real soulful stuff, like no expectations.
this to fast driven stuff for a full album/cd doesn't work for me.

erm....The deal is for the 'Shine a light' live album

No real surprise to hear theyve left EMI..and gone to Universal. Thats been rumoured for a while.

Mixed feelings about it the deal though. The world hardly needs another Stones live album (thats one for every world tour since 1975), but hopefully at least this one will omit most of the warhorses. The one-album arrangement - is it a case of the Stones and Universal both hedging their bets - or simply a case of both parties realising the band hasnt a lot more time left.

No doubt this could lead to yet another repackaging mass epidemic. Here's hoping that archive releases will be part of any contract.
16th January 2008 07:10 PM
steel driving hammer Stones You Bastards!!
16th January 2008 07:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Stones You Bastards!!

Yes!!
16th January 2008 07:44 PM
Gazza One good thing out of this is that with Universal being the label who control their Decca back catalogue, maybe this is a sign that they may be tying up some loose ends with ABCKO to bring their back catalogue under one 'umbrella' - maybe a positive move re: future archive releases?
16th January 2008 07:52 PM
mrhipfl I'm stoked that they wanna continue to release new albums but I'm kinda disappointed that it's only a one album deal and that the one album is going to be a movie soundtrack that we could have easily burned ourselves.

I hope that if they do release a new album with new material they'll write what they really feel and stay true to themselves. Instead of trying to sound young and write with cocks, (which in all likelihood probably don't even work properly anymore) they could take the position of old survivors full of wisdom. They experienced so much in their lives, so much joy, so much heartbreak, so much excitement. They must have so many great stories to tell and so much advice to give us.
[Edited by mrhipfl]
16th January 2008 07:58 PM
LadyJane This just made my day!

LJ.
16th January 2008 09:09 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
Should the Stones sign to Universal it would reunite their catalogue. Their 1960s albums were controlled by Decca, now part of Universal.

Now THIS is promising!!!

Open up the vaults you bastards!!!!!
16th January 2008 09:50 PM
Poison Dart The one album live deal in and of itself isn't really much of a story.

My reaction is who cares? The world could really do without yet another Stones live cd.

I think the big story here is that any archival albums would be under one roof going forward if they were to sign a long term deal with Universal. Is that the direction they are heading?

Where does this leave them in terms of a new studio record? Are they doing this one off deal with Universal to see if they like working with them for future cd's kind of like what Macca did with Starbucks?

Only time will tell.
16th January 2008 10:15 PM
iluvmickjagger07 the stones are always full of surprises
16th January 2008 10:26 PM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
Joey wrote:

I am now so excited that I am typing this with my nipples , penis AND fingers .

J. FLY !

Hahahahahahaha. That was the funniest line I've ever read on any forum.
17th January 2008 12:18 AM
Sioux
quote:
Gazza wrote:
One good thing out of this is that with Universal being the label who control their Decca back catalogue, maybe this is a sign that they may be tying up some loose ends with ABCKO to bring their back catalogue under one 'umbrella' - maybe a positive move re: future archive releases?

I would LOVE to hope this happens....wow. I'm not holding my breath, but it sure sounds like a step in the right direction...
17th January 2008 12:22 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
kind of like what Macca did with Starbucks?

????
Photobucket
17th January 2008 12:25 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

The likely defection of the world’s most commercially savvy rock band is a further blow to the credibility of EMI’s new owner, the venture capitalist Guy Hands, who is striving to cut costs amid an artists’ revolt. Sir Mick met Mr Hands during the negotiations over a renewal of the band’s existing EMI contract, but the financier whose best man was William Hague, did not make enough on an impression to persuade him to commit to a new deal.

Mr Hands’s venture capital group Terra Firma bought EMI last year for £2.1 billion. Since then, Radiohead have quit after a row over money and creative control, with singer Thom Yorke saying that the band was forced to make “the sign of the cross and walked away”. Sir Paul McCartney left after describing the company as “really very boring”.

Aloha, Mr. Hands!

17th January 2008 12:58 AM
Gimme Shelter It does sound cool.
17th January 2008 01:11 AM
Poplar
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Aloha, Mr. Hands!

hahaha!!!
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)