ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Robert E. Klein with thanks to GotToRollMe!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Greatest Rock n Roll song ever? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
15th January 2008 01:50 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Greatest rock n roll song ever?

Can't be done. Not conclusively anyhow...hell, we wouldn't even be able to define exactly what "Rock n Roll" is to begin with, let alone agree on the forms greatest song.

I'd have to say that it's probably Louie Louie by the Kingsmen, or something like that. Maybe 1-2-5 by The Haunted. Maybe Boss Hoss by The Sonics. I dunno, something short, simple, and fierce, that makes you wanna dance and fuck. So whatever that song is for you...that's your greatest rock n roll song ever.

Through the course of my Rock n Roll life, I've had 176 different songs that I've refered to as "the greatest Rock n Roll song ever recorded". And I was right 176 times. Whatever song you put forth for consideration is correct, if you really believe that it's the greatest song ever.

That's the nature of Rock n Roll. We all see it a bit differently. I'm sure that there's lots of folks out there who thinks it's Stairway to Heaven or Tom Sawyer. And while those songs wouldn't apply for me...if that's what you really think, then you're right. For you. Everyone else's mileage may vary. But that doesn't make you wrong.

This is a logically coherent argument, but by its terms--"something short, simple, and fierce, that makes you wanna dance and fuck"--"Gimme Shelter" may not even be a "rock'n'roll" song. Indeed, the difference between "Gimme Shelter" and most of the nominees in this thread may be the difference between "rock" and "rock'n'roll." "Gimme Shelter" transcends mindless, teenage nihilism (not that I have anything against that) and achieves a sort of mature, existential nihilism. The ability to reach that level without losing short, simple ferocity is what makes the Stones the greatest band ever.

In conclusion, "Gimme Shelter" is the greatest rock song ever recorded. The greatest rock'n'roll song, of course, is "Jumpin' Jack Flash."
15th January 2008 02:11 AM
Ronnie Richards In the day we sweat it out in the streets of a runaway American dream
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines
Sprung from cages out on highway 9,
Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line
Baby this town rips the bones from your back
It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We gotta get out while we're young
`Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Wendy let me in I wanna be your friend
I want to guard your dreams and visions
Just wrap your legs round these velvet rims
and strap your hands across my engines
Together we could break this trap
We'll run till we drop, baby we'll never go back
Will you walk with me out on the wire
`Cause baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider
But I gotta find out how it feels
I want to know if love is wild, girl I want to know if love is real

Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard
The girls comb their hair in rearview mirrors
And the boys try to look so hard
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist
I wanna die with you Wendy on the streets tonight
In an everlasting kiss

The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive
Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide
Together Wendy we'll live with the sadness
I'll love you with all the madness in my soul
Someday girl I don't know when we're gonna get to that place
Where we really want to go and we'll walk in the sun
But till then tramps like us baby we were born to run
17th January 2008 06:45 PM
TampabayStone
17th January 2008 07:59 PM
Sioux Oh yeah. No doubt about it. Greatest rock and roll song ever. KILLER version.
17th January 2008 08:03 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Sioux wrote:
Oh yeah. No doubt about it. Greatest rock and roll song ever. KILLER version.

Wanna hold my baby..want to hold her tight....ewwwwww..afternoon delight!!
18th January 2008 04:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
18th January 2008 05:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels object width="425" height="355">
18th January 2008 05:25 PM
TampabayStone did you delete a bunch of stuff?
18th January 2008 05:30 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:
did you delete a bunch of stuff?

Yes.
Louie Louie and I Fought the Law.

I think I withdraw their nominations. I want to get to the bottom of it.
18th January 2008 05:37 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Some say this is the greatest rock n roll song ever.

The best musical minds in the world post as regulars at RO. So if they can't get to the bottom of it I don't know who can.

18th January 2008 05:38 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Yes.
Louie Louie and I Fought the Law.

I think I withdraw their nominations. I want to get to the bottom of it.

Gotcha.

Photobucket
18th January 2008 06:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels : Bobby fuller 5/17/96

B. fuller was found dead in his car, more or less at the height of his career. Although the police ruled it a suicide, there were numerous circumstances that pointed to foul play. Virtually all people close to him say there's no way he committed suicide.

1. it was determined that he died of asphyxiation from swallowing gasoline (i'm no expert, but the stuff i've read about his death repeatedly quotes doctors saying it is impossible to force yourself to swallow enough gasoline to kill yourself)

2. he had been beaten up when his body was found, although not so badly that he could have died from the beating

3. he had just purchased a brand new car 2 days before his "suicide"

4. the car was found mid-day just around the corner from where he lived - long after friends and family had been looking for him all over the same neighborhood

5. his best friend claims that there was moisture on the ground under the exhaust pipe when the car (and his body) were discovered (#s 4 & 5 suggest that the car had only recently been moved to that location - an assertion also made by friends and family).

6. in the weeks before his death, he had been hanging around with a girl who had previously been dating a guy who was considered to be a serious thug

There were loads of other suspicious circumstances. for the definitive story refer to Kicks magazine - the article is a couple of years old, but not that hard to find.

instrumentally speaking, my favorite of all the instro stuff of his is the instro (actually demo - it was cut before words to the song were written by his best friend's mother) version of "my true love" in which he whistles the melody over an acoustic guitar. it's avail. on the bobby fuller tapes vol. 2 on voxx records.

"WHO KILLED BOBBY FULLER?"

It was sometime during the hot late afternoon hours of Monday, July 18th, that Bobby Fuller's body was found, lying across the front seat of his mother's Oldsmobile,which was parked in the large lot beside the apartment he shared with his younger brother, bassist Randy Fuller. The car had mysteriously appeared after hours of searching the local area had not turned up any clues to his whereabouts. The doors were unlocked, the windows were closed tight, and no keys to the vehicle were found inside. When the first Hollywood-division police officers arrived and opened the driver's side door, they noticed there was a book of matches on the seat beside Fuller on the front seat. An eyewitness to the gruesome discovery remembers that Fuller had traces of dried blood around his chin and mouth, and that his face and chest were bruised as if he had been beaten. Fuller's hair and clothing were also soaked with gasoline, and his right hand still clenched a rubber siphoning-tube.

Crime scene investigators made so many baffling errors in judgment that it seems some kind of "police cover-up" may have actually taken place. An empty gas can, found in the back seat, was removed by a policeman (who apparently didn't consider it vital to the investigation) and thrown into a nearby dumpster. The Olds was not dusted for fingerprints, nor was it ever impounded and searched for further clues. Members of the radio and television press at the scene were told that it looked to be a clear case of "suicide," despite much visual evidence to the contrary, and this off-hand remark was the first news of Fuller's death to be broadcasted to the world. Many people still believe what they first heard that day to be the truth, and despite the fact that a coroner's autopsy report--which originally listed the death as suicide---was changed months later to read "accidental" due to "inhalation of gasoline." (The accompanying case report also stated that Fuller had been "despondent over job situation recently.")

There were also rumors that he had actually drank gasoline, though a Stanford University crime professor reported (in 1966) that "no one has ever successfully killed themselves by drinking gasoline. One could not be able to keep it down, if they could get it down. They would simply throw up before they could die from it." Another rumor was that Fuller had overdosed on LSD or some other kind of hallucinogenic drug at a Malibu Beach party the night before. The people at the parties were celebrities, and to avoid a scandal, they poured gasoline down his throat, saturated his hair and they planned to torch the car---to make it look like a "mob slaying"--yet no trace of drugs appear in the autopsy report, and no traces of gasoline had actually been swallowed.

Fuller was buried four days later at Forest Lawn Cemetary in Burbank. Case closed.

There was some truth to the fact that Fuller had been depressed in the weeks just prior to his death, but never suicidal. He had decided to break up the band and try his hand at a solo career, a decision he had been struggling with for months, asking the advice of a few close friends (including his New York girlfriend, Nancy Norton.) Months of touring across the U.S., even with the success of a hit single carrying them into the Top Ten, had taken its cumulative toll on all of the band's members, and they were not on good speaking terms with Fuller at the time of his death.

The band was drifting apart. Jim Reese, guitarist in the BF4, came home from the last tourdate to learn he'd just been drafted into the Army and was due to report in a few weeks. He made arrangements to sell his Jaguar to Bobby, who had long admired the car, and Fuller was actually supposed to pick it up the day he was found. Dalton Powell, the band's drummer, was also quitting the group, expecting to tell Fuller at a scheduled band meeting that he never showed up for. Then there is the disintegrating relationship between Bobby and his brother Randy; the two had played together since they were teens, but now they could hardly stand to be around eachother, and Bobby was looking for his own apartment.

Fuller was also disappointed that a planned European tour, where the band was immensely popular, had just been cancelled. Recording sessions for the new album (planned to be their last) had been very difficult, and was often so wrought with personality conflicts that Fuller clearly didn't feel up to continuing and he let everyone know how he felt. The bands only full-length albums (for the MUSTANG label, a subsidiary of Hollywood-based DEL-FI RECORDS) had produced several bona fied rock n' roll classics, including "Let Her Dance," and "I Fought The Law," (written by Sonny Curtis of The Crickets), but Fuller felt that he hadn't had time to write enough new songs for the album, and was depressed that he would again have to record someone else's songs.

Fuller had begun playing one particular sad ballad on his stereo over and over while sitting alone in his bedroom with the lights off, which may lead some to conclude that he was experiencing some kind of inner turmoil (though this isn't evidence of suicidal behavior--and frankly, is something musicians often do when learning how to play a new song.) Clearly, he had his reasons for being depressed and fed up, but none of these would necessarily cause him to take his own life in such a vicious, and disturbing, manner.

Thirty years later, the facts still don't add up to suicide. So what other possibilities are there? It has been reported that the autopsy report, released five months later, was inconclusive and provided few clues as to the actual cause of death. There were several numerous bruises on his face and upper torso; unmistakably, it was an act of extreme violence, and certainly not an "accidental death."

At the time of his death, Fuller had been keeping company with a young woman named "Melanie," whose ex-boyfriend was a jealous club owner reported to be tied to the local crime syndicate. After Fuller's death, she disappeared and has not been heard from since. Other mysterious circumstances took place in the days just after the discovery of Fuller's body. Dalton Powell had been confronted by "three real mean-looking dudes" who had come to the apartment he shared with Reese looking for the guitarist, telling Powell they would return, but Powell and Reese left town after Fuller's funeral and never returned to California. Randy Fuller and the band's road manager, Rick Stone, were nearly run off the road one evening by a car that had been following them. A private investigator, hired by Fuller's parents and Bob Keane, quit the case after a few days when he was shot at by a would-be assassin.

In June, DEL-FI RECORDS will re-issue the two original The Bobby Fuller Four albums, I FOUGHT THE LAW/KRLA- KING OF THE WHEELS, with seven additional bonus tracks, on one CD. This release marks the first time the BF4 have been released on their original label,Mustang Records, since 1965, and it is the first re-issue of the band's two full-length recordings since the Rhino Records-compilation, THE BEST OF THE BOBBY FULLER FOUR.

A complete Box Set of The Bobby Fuller Four is also being slated for release this summer. This long-awaited retrospective, a 3-CD set, includes all of the BF4 Texas singles (on YUCCA, EASTWOOD, EXETER, and TODD) as well as rarer-than-rare unreleased tracks from the original master tapes, supplied by Randy Fuller. The set also contains both of the Mustang albums, including the singles and unreleased tracks from the Mustang period. As a bonus, the third disc features the entire CELEBRITY NIGHT AT PJ's live recordings (from January, 1966), which have never fully been issued in any form. Complete liner notes and tons of rare photos make this Box Set a must-have collection for Rock & Roll fans everywhere.

Bobby Fuller's music still survives with the new re-issues of his two Mustang albums, and the upcoming Box Set retrospective. While the tragic death of one America's true Rock & Roll legends still makes headlines across the country and the world , and the enigma surrounding his life still attracts new generations of fans to the great Rock & Roll he performed, the question still lingers...

"WHO KILLED BOBBY FULLER?"

Bryan Thomas

18th January 2008 06:25 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
: Bobby fuller 5/17/96

B. fuller was found dead in his car, more or less at the height of his career. Although the police ruled it a suicide, there were numerous circumstances that pointed to foul play. Virtually all people close to him say there's no way he committed suicide.

1. it was determined that he died of asphyxiation from swallowing gasoline (i'm no expert, but the stuff i've read about his death repeatedly quotes doctors saying it is impossible to force yourself to swallow enough gasoline to kill yourself)

2. he had been beaten up when his body was found, although not so badly that he could have died from the beating

3. he had just purchased a brand new car 2 days before his "suicide"

4. the car was found mid-day just around the corner from where he lived - long after friends and family had been looking for him all over the same neighborhood

5. his best friend claims that there was moisture on the ground under the exhaust pipe when the car (and his body) were discovered (#s 4 & 5 suggest that the car had only recently been moved to that location - an assertion also made by friends and family).

6. in the weeks before his death, he had been hanging around with a girl who had previously been dating a guy who was considered to be a serious thug

There were loads of other suspicious circumstances. for the definitive story refer to Kicks magazine - the article is a couple of years old, but not that hard to find.

instrumentally speaking, my favorite of all the instro stuff of his is the instro (actually demo - it was cut before words to the song were written by his best friend's mother) version of "my true love" in which he whistles the melody over an acoustic guitar. it's avail. on the bobby fuller tapes vol. 2 on voxx records.

Wow! Have to admit, I knew the song but did not know him or his history. OK, let's have it....
18th January 2008 08:27 PM
Kilroy Wully Bully
18th January 2008 09:15 PM
TampabayStone Define greatest, please.
18th January 2008 10:25 PM
TampabayStone I know you can here it on Vegas everday, but this song is Badasss!!!

Wish I could have found the live come back show one!
[Edited by TampabayStone]
18th January 2008 11:32 PM
MrPleasant Whatever song one likes.
18th January 2008 11:59 PM
Sioux Yeah, the whole Bobby Fuller mysterious death thing has intrigued/puzzled me since '66 when it happened. It made a really big impression on me. A lot of the circumstances are similar to the disparities that lie in the case of how Brian Jones died. Both mysteries. Both not what they seemed at the time. The "I Fought The Law KRLA--King of The Wheels" CD is really good.
19th January 2008 02:45 AM
TampabayStone Greatest Non-Stones Rock and Roll song? Don't you Canadians get cockey!

19th January 2008 03:04 AM
glencar
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

This is a logically coherent argument, but by its terms--"something short, simple, and fierce, that makes you wanna dance and fuck"--"Gimme Shelter" may not even be a "rock'n'roll" song. Indeed, the difference between "Gimme Shelter" and most of the nominees in this thread may be the difference between "rock" and "rock'n'roll." "Gimme Shelter" transcends mindless, teenage nihilism (not that I have anything against that) and achieves a sort of mature, existential nihilism. The ability to reach that level without losing short, simple ferocity is what makes the Stones the greatest band ever.

In conclusion, "Gimme Shelter" is the greatest rock song ever recorded. The greatest rock'n'roll song, of course, is "Jumpin' Jack Flash."

Wow, you actually make sense for once! Get me my nitroglycerin pills!
19th January 2008 12:42 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Get me my nitroglycerin pills!

blue ( very small ' b ' ) ........

the term ' glencar ' refers to a waterfall in Mitchell , SD ( NW part of town )

Word .

Sassy Tree !
19th January 2008 01:06 PM
glencar Please go away.
19th January 2008 05:42 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
glencar wrote:
Wow, you actually make sense for once! Get me my nitroglycerin pills!

Thanks, I guess. I haven't changed, though. You're
simply seeing my thought processes without the filter of your prejudices.
19th January 2008 07:50 PM
robpop
quote:
Izzyboy wrote:
Wango Tango - Ted Nugent

20th January 2008 12:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels One criterion for a great song is how many time some other artist has covered it. I think I Fought the Law has been covered by alot of bands. Also the quality of band actually doing the cover counts for something.

Johnny B Goode? Everyone covered that. They still do.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
20th January 2008 12:57 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
20th January 2008 01:59 PM
Sioux Love Eddie Cochran...he was taken FAR too early.

Don't know if "Louie Louie" is the greatest rock and roll song ever, but it has an entire book devoted to it. Lots of great covers of that raw energy song.
20th January 2008 02:01 PM
TampabayStone American Pie says it all.
21st January 2008 08:11 AM
karsonkoala What about "Like a Candle in The Wind"?
Almost as good as "Streets of Love".
21st January 2008 08:46 AM
Honky Tonk Man Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)