ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Robert E. Klein with thanks to GotToRollMe!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bands that copied The Stones. Return to archive Page: 1 2
10th January 2008 04:17 PM
CS Believe it or not Queen too, probably not in the sound or music style but Freddy Mercury dressing like Jagger in the 72 tour and the way to handle the microphone always made me remember Mick
10th January 2008 05:03 PM
Dan
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I once called Aerosmith a poor man's Rolling Stones, although they went on their own way & did a lot of rock classics, what's with the lead singer & guitarist still copying Mick & Keith?

I am pretty sure Steven was born with those lips and Joe can still play guitar like Joe.
10th January 2008 07:56 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
pdog wrote:
Let's discuss who didn't, it's a way shorter list.

abba........i think would be one band
17th January 2008 07:39 PM
Slavegirl Surprised nobody's mentioned The Chesterfield Kings. Their stuff is pretty good, although they are such a blatant rip off of the Stones (and many 60's garage bands) that sometimes they wear a bit thin. A great band though most Stones fans would like them.
17th January 2008 07:54 PM
Sioux Ahhhh, I love the Chesterfield Kings! I have a friend who knows, and has played with {at Cavestomp}, Greg Prevost and Andy Babiuk...thanks for mentioning them.
17th January 2008 08:23 PM
ultimaterocker Besides the lips and singing into the same mike, which i was never aware was a Stones trademark....Aerosmith is nothing like the Stones....have any of you listened to Toys and Rocks?
17th January 2008 08:26 PM
ultimaterocker also, I'd go as far as to say that you could count on one hand the amount of Aerosmith songs that sound heavily influenced by the Stones
17th January 2008 08:45 PM
ultimaterocker
quote:
nanatod wrote:

Technically true.

But what Tyler & Perry get from Mick, Keith, and the rest of the Stones is the "inspiration" to make rock and roll in the first place. What they want to do is play music that makes people "feel" like the way Stones music makes people [like themselves] "feel." Whether they are successful in doing so is beside the point.

I'm not sure what the title of Stones LP, "Decembers Children" originally meant [and I'm too lazy to look it up], but to me it means all the bands from Aerosmith to the Black Crowes to G'n'R to Megadeth that came after the Stones, and that want to rock out. They may not be Mick's biological children, but they are his children nonetheless.

fair enough, but when people accuse Aerosmith of ripping off the Stones, i think that is just an ignorant and totally untrue comment. If Tyler and Perry didn't have any physical resemblance at all to Mick or Keith.....no one would claim them to be Stones rip offs.....to most people its the look, not the music.
[Edited by ultimaterocker]
17th January 2008 09:10 PM
guitarman53 Oh, yes, that's true, but why has the lead singer got this thing about scarves.
17th January 2008 09:25 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Dan wrote:

I am pretty sure Steven was born with those lips

17th January 2008 09:27 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Hmm, very interesting!

Photobucket
17th January 2008 09:34 PM
TampabayStone Youtube is f'ing addictive

17th January 2008 09:49 PM
Riffhard
quote:
ultimaterocker wrote:
fair enough, but when people accuse Aerosmith of ripping off the Stones, i think that is just an ignorant and totally untrue comment. If Tyler and Perry didn't have any physical resemblance at all to Mick or Keith.....no one would claim them to be Stones rip offs.....to most people its the look, not the music.
[Edited by ultimaterocker]

Aerosmith freely admits that the Stones are their biggest influence. They also adopted the Toxic Twins moniker as a way of emulating the Stones. Listen to so many of Perry's tunings and riffs and then tell me again that they are not doing their damndest to mimic the Stones. Just listen to Chip Away the Stone,Kings and Queens, and especially Draw the Line. There can be little doubt that every one of those songs would never have been written had it not been for many songs that sound strikingly similar to them that Mick and Keith had written years before.

I'm not trying to shit on Aerosmith here, but c'mon. There's no way to deny the obvious influnce that the Stones had on them.

Riffy
17th January 2008 11:00 PM
ultimaterocker
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Aerosmith freely admits that the Stones are their biggest influence. They also adopted the Toxic Twins moniker as a way of emulating the Stones. Listen to so many of Perry's tunings and riffs and then tell me again that they are not doing their damndest to mimic the Stones. Just listen to Chip Away the Stone,Kings and Queens, and especially Draw the Line. There can be little doubt that every one of those songs would never have been written had it not been for many songs that sound strikingly similar to them that Mick and Keith had written years before.

I'm not trying to shit on Aerosmith here, but c'mon. its There's no way to deny the obvious influnce that the Stones had on them.

Riffy

its all good......the Stones and Aerosmith are probably my 2 favorite bands. But first off, the press gave them the whole "Toxic Twins" thing....they didn't make it up.....and i would say the only Aero songs that sound heavily influenced by the Stones are, Chip Away at the Stone, One Way Street,???? iunno maybe Mama Kin but thats a stretch......Kings and Queens??.....could u really see the Stones doing that?....and the Stones have never recorded a song as heavy as Draw the Line. And if you were to ask them, their main musical influences are The Yarbirds and Led Zep, they wanted to reach the fame of the Stones and thought they looked cool, but musically, not so much.
17th January 2008 11:41 PM
Brainbell Jangler No less an authority than Steven Tyler himself addressed the question of accusations of Stones-copying by Aerosmith as follows: "We used to hate that . . . because it was true. Mick was the baddest boy on the block, except for Keith."
18th January 2008 09:11 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
No less an authority than Steven Tyler himself addressed the question of accusations of Stones-copying by Aerosmith as follows: "We used to hate that . . . because it was true. Mick was the baddest boy on the block, except for Keith."

Grace Slick made a similiar comment one time on TV. I saw it but I couldn't give any dates or references on it. But she said something along the lines that "Mick showed us all how to do it" or something like that.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
18th January 2008 09:32 AM
JohnLeeHacker Flammin' groovies.
20th January 2008 12:37 AM
guitarman53 I uploaded this to Youtube, no visual yet for the video, this is the Chocolate Watchband doing "Milk Cow Blues" only changing the name to "Don't Need Your Lovin'" the lead singer does his best at a 60's Jagger.
1 [Edited by guitarman53]
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)